CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Brace yourself

  1. #1

    Default Brace yourself

    Back in the day the only fork brace ( tweak bar) for extended forks were the ones that clamped onto the fork tubes. Now they sell ones that clamp to the lower legs. Curious if anyone has had both and which one worked better.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by desertdog1313 View Post
    Back in the day the only fork brace ( tweak bar) for extended forks were the ones that clamped onto the fork tubes. Now they sell ones that clamp to the lower legs. Curious if anyone has had both and which one worked better.
    I'm curious how that works????? It sounds like what a fender does to me....... It's just a gimmick to take some new guys money.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by desertdog1313 View Post
    Back in the day the only fork brace ( tweak bar) for extended forks were the ones that clamped onto the fork tubes. Now they sell ones that clamp to the lower legs. Curious if anyone has had both and which one worked better.
    on my 33.4 front end i had and extra lower, that i hacked up and welded and made a pretty cool fork brace. works great, those ones that go on the lowers are too low and dont help the tubes from flexing, imho

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Apples and oranges.
    A tweak bar has to sit above the suspension travel and is only effective on a very long front end.
    A fork brace is stronger and for normal to mid length tubes.
    The problem is torsional twist.
    I have seen twin tweak bars on some crazy long front ends.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,878

    Default

    I had a fork brace on the lowers fn my 6 overs and it never wanted to stay properly mounted. I ended up taking it off.

    @tattoo - generally they are much stiffer than your front fender. Some people will employ both fender and fork brace for extra stiffness. They can also give you strength if you're going the no front fender cool bike look.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    @tattoo - generally they are much stiffer than your front fender. Some people will employ both fender and fork brace for extra stiffness. They can also give you strength if you're going the no front fender cool bike look.

    How is it stronger than a fender?

    You do know he is talking about putting a brace on the lower tubes.... Right???? Now your saying put a fork brace and a fender??? Really where do you have room for both as it sure can't go through the wheel..... Do you have a pic of what your suggesting???

    Now don't post a pic of a fender with a tube clamp that's been done for years.........

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    I have a fender and a fork brace on my FXR.
    Plenty of other FXR's the same.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    I have a fender and a fork brace on my FXR.
    Plenty of other FXR's the same.
    Yes sir a FXR, cafe bike, a sport bike yep that makes sense...... Now is it the one that goes over the fender??? Like a stacked piece of metal???

    Also you know we are talking about an extended front end. So how much over is the front end on your FXR with the double brace??????????? That your referencing to???

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Yes sir a FXR, cafe bike, a sport bike yep that makes sense...... Now is it the one that goes over the fender??? Like a stacked piece of metal???

    Also you know we are talking about an extended front end. So how much over is the front end on your FXR with the double brace??????????? That your referencing to???
    Whoa... easy... I said I have seen double tweak bars on crazy long front ends.
    I don't know what you mean by stacked metal.
    Mine clamps the top of the lower fork sliders.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    Whoa... easy... I said I have seen double tweak bars on crazy long front ends.
    I don't know what you mean by stacked metal.
    Mine clamps the top of the lower fork sliders.
    Haven't you seen the brace that goes over the fender? It looks stacked to me... Well it looks silly but that doesn't matter...... I've also seen just the brace with no fender, The one I seen had a slot cross wise.....

    Yes we were talking about braces on the lower legs on extended front ends, So you have a brace and a fender??? Not on the tubes like a tweak bar clamp that attach to the tubes..........

    Can you post a pic????
    Last edited by Tattooo; 04-16-2019 at 5:47 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    Whoa... easy... I said I have seen double tweak bars on crazy long front ends.
    I wasn't responding to this post..... ^^^^^^^

    I was responding to this one.....

    Quote Originally Posted by hillcat View Post
    I have a fender and a fork brace on my FXR.
    Plenty of other FXR's the same.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in