Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Hey old guys - Knee Braces?

Needed some wood putty so I decided to go out for about an hour break-in ride today, nice ride, only in the high 50s so the motor was pleased.

What was not pleased was my left knee. Lots of shifting as my ride was mostly residential areas. Both of my knees have been worked on, torn meniscus in both. The left one was done about 3 years ago and I have not been on a scooter since having it done.

Any you old dudes wearing a knee brace and if so which one, there has to be 100 different ones out there.

OK, talk among yourselves.

-DB
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Here's an idea that may help ....

This gizmo is always a down motion for clutching and shifting though the gears (Up or Down Shifts) ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 04-13-2019, 4:07 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

I love that thing, I swear it looks like Rube Goldberg designed it, yet you are not the only person I know who likes them.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
        Here's an idea that may help ....

This gizmo is always a down motion for clutching and shifting though the gears (Up or Down Shifts) ...

https://www.facebook.com/vardhallasw...4486733369163/
        Yeah, that'll work. Even more knee motion. HaHa.

Jim

P.S. I just suck it up, but it gets harder every year to get any joy out of riding when the pains interfere.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Yeah, that'll work. Even more knee motion. HaHa.

Jim

Well ..... I did say it's an idea ....

The real cure is a CB750 A .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	th_Jesseonwhat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	1309797

(That's Me ^^, my boy Leroy, and a dog named Boo)
          Last edited by Dragstews; 04-13-2019, 4:22 PM.
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Some of the cure could be an autoclutch but they ain't cheap and I don't know how early and HD they can make a clutch for.

A lot of medical equipment is shit so all I can do is suggest checking out whatever pro athletes use since they have pain, and money, on the line.

I used to have a CB750A. It worked well but I bought it to flip. IIRC Russ Collins (RIP) built one into a cool drag bike.

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
              Needed some wood putty so I decided to go out for about an hour break-in ride today, nice ride, only in the high 50s so the motor was pleased.

What was not pleased was my left knee. Lots of shifting as my ride was mostly residential areas. Both of my knees have been worked on, torn meniscus in both. The left one was done about 3 years ago and I have not been on a scooter since having it done.

Any you old dudes wearing a knee brace and if so which one, there has to be 100 different ones out there.

-DB
              I knew we had something in common, I just hate it came to something like this. But I feel your pain... the right knee has been constant problem for 10 years now, been scoped twice. I have been ok with my left knee intact, but it suddenly went south on me last July. No warning, no mishap, just started hurting like hell and swelling up. Like 5 months after starting my current rigid build. Had it scoped in October, no help. Had the series of gel injections in each knee, no help. Not sure what I'm going to do, they say replacement is my next option. I can imagine anything more than short rides without traffic and lights will be an enormous problem.

That said, I've tried a number of braces and supports... The ones that work well abrade the hell out of your soft tissues so you end up raw and hurting, the others don't do a lot for helping the joints. Replacement looks like it is looming on the horizon for me.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

-DB
                I wish I knew some way to advise you.... But I glad so say I can't help you with your problem as my knees are as good as they were 20 years ago.......

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Electric shifters are used on race bikes. There's no particular reason one couldn't fit one to a chopper.

Google "electric motorcycle shifter". Pingel are a notable maker.

xlforum Riding with disability: http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=201

Everyone should plan to adapt our bikes as we get older and more fucked up. Trikes hit every bump in the road so if needed I'll likely run a sidehack. We're gearheads after all so we've no excuse for not being creative.

Comment

• DustyDave
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Every device or wrap I've tried ends up making it worse in the long run. If the damage is arthritis or cartilage the only thing worse than devices is using them less. I have seen great and not so great results with replacements, so I think I'll keep mine as long as I can. Since I have been in heart rehab my knees seem to be better with the forced exercise regimen on a schedule instead of when I feel like it. I had my first knee surgery in 1960 so I'm a fine connasure of knee injections and find SynVisc to be the best right now. My Docta says that there are clinics that grow replacement cartilage with stem cells already but no insurance covers it yet.

Dusty
                    Driving that train, high on cocaine
                    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DustyDave
                      My Docta says that there are clinics that grow replacement cartilage with stem cells already but no insurance covers it yet.

I have a friend of mine that had both of his knees done about a month apart about a year ago and still no real help so far.... So I guess some times it works and sometimes it doesn't.....

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

Well this morning I could barely walk down the stairs. I'm telling you this growing older sucks, I mean it beats the alternative, but it sucks.

Guess I will be a couch potato today and if it ain't better tomorrow it will be back to the doc.

The right knee is the one I expected trouble with, shattered it back in the Army, but that one is fine ( good thing too as it is my kicker leg ). The left was just supposed to be a clean up, but with the arthritis he said it was not a 100% solution.

Comment

• datadavid
                          • Oct 2014

Did you do your rehab or is that stuff for pussies? ��

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                            • Oct 2016

Nah, my daughter is an occupational therapist, she would kick my ass if I didn't do my rehab.

It is the combo of the damage to the meniscus and the rheumatoid arthritis. What I do need to do is start riding the stationary bike daily, when I ripped out the tendon in myt arm I stopped and it is clear the muscles have gotten weak over the winter.

I took a massive anti-inflammatory this morning, feeling better now. But damn getting out of bed thismorning was a trip!

Comment

• KevinN
                              • May 2014

No knee problems for me right now other than arthritis but a friend with knee issues says the knee brace with metal sides with a hinge is what works for him. I have the standard railroad track on my right knee which almost kept me out of the Navy, I was able to pass the extra tests and they pushed me on through. Sucks when time starts catching up to us old guys. We know what to do with worn out motorcycle parts. The other worn out parts, not so much.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;