Saving online parts catalog and other images when the right-click menu is blocked.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Saving online parts catalog and other images when the right-click menu is blocked.

Some pages block saving images by disabling the right-click menu. It doesn't stop the clueful but most mechanics want useful info with less work because time is money even if you're a hobbyist. It's not as if similar info can't be gotten by screenshotting (which often crops the image) or better but more awkward workarounds.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../related?hl=en works for me on Chrome.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ck/?src=search works on Google image search and parts catalogs, but the right-click context menu only appears AFTER I click "OK" to the "Can't be copied" popup. Other extensions (they are plentiful) may be different but this combo function works for my use.

Both tested on the Ronnie's HD online lookup. It's much easier to print an illustration and take notes before ordering than pull up the site, especially if you're using a notebook-sized screen, and you can import images into your favorite image editor to resize, crop etc.

While researching I noticed Outpost Alaska don't engage in such cheesedickery and you can save images as normal. They list Victory, Honda etc parts too. Example tested with Konqueror and Chromium on which I've installed no add-ons:

Knowing this makes it easier to refer to specific parts when posting. You can save an image, add remarks or point out parts, then post it in your thread or add it to your service manual. While Harley FSMs are plentiful not everyone owns every edition, and other makes are often much more hassle to get exploded views. Parts books are the perfect complement to service manuals especially if you're stuck with a Clymer/Chilton/Haynes aftermarket manual. Now you can add better exploded views.
  • Luky
    • May 2018

Originally posted by farmall
    Some pages block saving images by disabling the right-click menu. It doesn't stop the clueful but most mechanics want useful info with less work because time is money even if you're a hobbyist. It's not as if similar info can't be gotten by screenshotting (which often crops the image) or better but more awkward workarounds.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../related?hl=en works for me on Chrome.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ck/?src=search works on Google image search and parts catalogs, but the right-click context menu only appears AFTER I click "OK" to the "Can't be copied" popup. Other extensions (they are plentiful) may be different but this combo function works for my use.

Both tested on the Ronnie's HD online lookup. It's much easier to print an illustration and take notes before ordering than pull up the site, especially if you're using a notebook-sized screen, and you can import images into your favorite image editor to resize, crop etc.

While researching I noticed Outpost Alaska don't engage in such cheesedickery and you can save images as normal. They list Victory, Honda etc parts too. Example tested with Konqueror and Chromium on which I've installed no add-ons:

Knowing this makes it easier to refer to specific parts when posting. You can save an image, add remarks or point out parts, then post it in your thread or add it to your service manual. While Harley FSMs are plentiful not everyone owns every edition, and other makes are often much more hassle to get exploded views. Parts books are the perfect complement to service manuals especially if you're stuck with a Clymer/Chilton/Haynes aftermarket manual. Now you can add better exploded views.

With a Mac computer you are never blocked.
    You could do a screen shot. But those cannot be enlarged of course.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Must be a specific feature of Safari because those scripts block all other browsers. Can you save parts catalog images directly off the Ronnie's site? I've no Macs to test, just Linux and (barf) Windows.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;