CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Preferred Rear Brake Setup

I'm go to start building a hard-tailed shovelhead. I know I am going with a right rear brake only set up. I want a disc brake back there, but unsure which style will be best. Just looking for some opinions and knowledge. Let me know what you guys think is best, used in the past, or prefer.

Get Adobe Flash player

The easiest route to take is to get a Softail caliper/bracket assembly (one piece) and run with that. You'll need to weld a tab onto the frame to stop the caliper from rotating.

Why only a rear brake? Do you have a foolish death wish or something?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fab kevin makes good stuff for fabbing a disc brake onto a rigid. He makes caliper brackets for R or L side. You just have to figure out axle spacers.

I used this on my sportster build:

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jbswear View Post
    The easiest route to take is to get a Softail caliper/bracket assembly (one piece) and run with that. You'll need to weld a tab onto the frame to stop the caliper from rotating.

Why only a rear brake? Do you have a foolish death wish or something?

Thanks, I seen that photo on a previous post. I like that set up using the softtail caliper. Can you still use an older master cylinder and brake line, or do you need the modern set up on that?

Get Adobe Flash player

I run the dual disc softail caliper as well, rear brake only and it does just fine. I also ride it in NYC/Brooklyn this way and have not felt dangerous at all. But I also don't really ride like an aggressive asshole either. I use a newer style MC, but I bet you could use an older Wagner style if you wanted (someone else more knowledgeable should chime in if this is not the case)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TonyPunkRock View Post
    Thanks, I seen that photo on a previous post. I like that set up using the softtail caliper. Can you still use an older master cylinder and brake line, or do you need the modern set up on that?
    Any master cylinder that can push the correct amount of fluid will work. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can "cleanly" use the MC from a ZX1400 or if I need to find another method.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    I run the dual disc softail caliper as well, rear brake only and it does just fine. I also ride it in NYC/Brooklyn this way and have not felt dangerous at all. But I also don't really ride like an aggressive asshole either. I use a newer style MC, but I bet you could use an older Wagner style if you wanted (someone else more knowledgeable should chime in if this is not the case)

I don't ride with front brakes because I ride like an aggressive asshole; I ride with front brakes because there are other assholes on the road that get in the way. And children on streets...dogs...etc. My front brakes have saved my skin many times in the decades I've been riding; I have no problem looking down on somebody who says they feel safe without them.

Last edited by jbswear; 10-23-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

You have to use the correct master with caliper. The pistons diameter in the master does influence pressure and volume. Small piston = high pressure, low volume. Big piston = low pressure, high volume. A floating calipers needs more volume to move towards the disc, ´cause it does move/float away from the disc. A solid caliper can not move, only the piston slides back into the body when pressure degrades.
    High pressure in the master means high pressure in the brake line and high pressure in the caliper. High pressure in the caliper means more force on the pistons and brake pads. More stopping power.
    Diameter of brake disc and length of brake lever are also important. Long and big is good here also!
    You can use a lockheed wagner style master with a jap six pot caliper or a PM with huge pistons, but with a softail rear caliper stopping power would be poor.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also run a softail rear caliper on my hardtail shovel with a old Wagner Lockheed master cylinder. Works great. Locks up the rear easy as hell.

You do as you wish with your front brake, but just last week it saved my ass on a small twisty road where I almost went of. I was happy as hell to have that front brake then

Get Adobe Flash player

i dont want or mean to derail with front brake vs. no front brake. we all ride what we want, ill leave it at that.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm go to start building a hard-tailed shovelhead. I know I am going with a right rear brake only set up. I want a disc brake back there, but unsure which style will be best. Just looking for some opinions and knowledge. Let me know what you guys think is best, used in the past, or prefer.
    Any newish quality 4 piston will get it done.

I ran a softail brake setup on my last build, worked good, looked clean in between the frame rails too.

Now I have An inverted PM 4 piston setup. I like it a lot. I still think the softail looked cleaner between the rails.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by andri View Post
    I also run a softail rear caliper on my hardtail shovel with a old Wagner Lockheed master cylinder. Works great. Locks up the rear easy as hell.
    Are you using the brake pedal set up for a rear hydraulic drum brake?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GermanG View Post
    Are you using the brake pedal set up for a rear hydraulic drum brake?
    Even if he is, it should all still work fine. The key with the Wagner MC's is removing the 2 front inserts so it works with disk brakes. Mine works just fine with a GMA Caliper.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lvvato View Post
    Even if he is, it should all still work fine. The key with the Wagner MC's is removing the 2 front inserts so it works with disk brakes. Mine works just fine with a GMA Caliper.
    Which 2 front inserts are you referring too?

Get Adobe Flash player

Which 2 front inserts are you referring too?
    There's a rubber washer and a thimbol looking piece. Remove these 2 for use with disk brakes. Look up the wagner rebuild kit on J&P. They have a pdf with a diagram of the internals and what parts to remove for disk brakes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
    Fab kevin makes good stuff for fabbing a disc brake onto a rigid. He makes caliper brackets for R or L side. You just have to figure out axle spacers.

I used this on my sportster build:

I like the look that this caliper and mount have. But why are these caliper mounts so expensive now!
    Prices from $71.00-$165.!!! Insane.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sorry... but to the OP... what bike design and riding style are you after? (Note that those are sometimes two totally different answers)

Ignore the brake and tell me about the build. The wheel combo. Tire selection. Stance. Attitude. Form? Or function? Belt drive or chain?

Also what environment do you ride? City? Country? Summers only or tear round?

I could give you my 2 cents but I'd rather know this info before blubbering.

((Also apologize if you have a build thread that I haven't seen yet))

Cheeeeeeers.

SamHain

Quote Originally Posted by Luky View Post
    I like the look that this caliper and mount have. But why are these caliper mounts so expensive now!
    Prices from $71.00-$165.!!! Insane.
    He certainly charges a premium. It ain’t a ton of work to make your own if you’d rather. A thin piece of aluminum or steel to work the fitment into a template. Bada bing. Plenty of cheap tokico options and rebuild kits on that auction site. The legwork becomes yours.

SamHain

Quote Originally Posted by bpeak View Post
    Sorry... but to the OP... what bike design and riding style are you after? (Note that those are sometimes two totally different answers)

Ignore the brake and tell me about the build. The wheel combo. Tire selection. Stance. Attitude. Form? Or function? Belt drive or chain?

Also what environment do you ride? City? Country? Summers only or tear round?

I could give you my 2 cents but I'd rather know this info before blubbering.

((Also apologize if you have a build thread that I haven't seen yet))

Cheeeeeeers.
    Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t respond to a 5year old question. Not that I don’t have projects that haven’t progressed much in that timeline.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t respond to a 5year old question. Not that I don’t have projects that haven’t progressed much in that timeline.
    They blew the dust off this one for sure... I can't say I've seen any of these guys post in ages...

Share This