Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulYep5
    • Sep 2014

Ducati Newbie Buying Questions

I'm brand new to Ducatis and am looking to buy one. I've been working on Sportsters for a few years so know a little about bikes in general. I'm buying a Ducati Monster to use as a beater while I'm finishing my current very slow Sportster build. I can't seem to find a lot of info online about what changes were made by production year to the Monster line. Like for Sportsters I look at years that are Evo, carbed and frame mounted so I know which years to look at.

Does anyone know of a good source for that info or have suggestions on which are the ideal years for a Monster that will have the performance but be on the simpler side of costs and repairs?

I'm looking at a 2001 Ducati Monster 900 Metallic this weekend with low miles for $3,000. Any opinions on that year/model and price?

Thanks for any help.
  • Hawkstone
    • Mar 2012

Ducati Monster history, if it's of any use : https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...ster-timeline/

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Try Ducati forums.

Comment

• hillcat
        • Mar 2015

I had one, that's a good year for what you're looking for.
        Of course the most important thing is the mantainence schedule has been followed. Valve adj. and timing belts are critical at the called for intervals.

My '01 900S

Last edited by hillcat; 04-11-2019, 5:31 AM.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
          • Apr 2012

Depends on many things. The Monsters were entry level bikes and they made some 600s as well, but the 900 is common. Thats about right price wise as they are super expensive to buy parts for and service unless you do your own work. The parts are not totally insane but close to it. Ducs are also the most easily parted out bikes around. People break them down to the smallest bolts and hardware. Flippers go hard after them. (I have had to fend off a few parts pirates looking to cash in)
          Good news,, is almost anypart can be bought.
          You can download the factory manuals and parts books right off the internet and the factory site supports older models quite well.

Carbs are more my thing, but learning fuel injection and programming. My local dealer is very supportive to enthusiasts and will program the chips with whatever tuning programs I want. (For example, to run a Termi exhaust you had to buy the proprietary computer,, not anymore).

There is TONS of aftermarket support for them, as well as some dedicated forums with generally supportive and helpful people. Im not active on them much, but have gotten great help in the past.

One thing to look out for is the immobilizer related to the computer. On my 2002 S4 Monster,, It comes with the red keys and black keys, Without them, you are FUKKED. Its a $1800 dollar problem. You see people selling the instrument cluster, all the locks and keys as a package deal. (Ive seen as cheap as $800 for a set) Research this. My S4 does not come with the standard 900 motor, mine is an oddball with the 916 race motor so its unique. Cool in some respects but a problem in others.
          Mine was mildly wrecked, I got it for free. Bought three bikes in a distress/emergency sale by a guy with legal issues. Sold the other 2 kept the Duc. Spent a year buying all the bits I needed for it.

I also, similar good deal, Bought a 998 2004 Superbike with 8 miles and a full brand new Termi exhaust. Son of the dealerships owner crashed it. It was a big deal and I bought it thru an insurance deal from "A guy I know" Same deal,, Needs parts most of which I got.

Ironically, Duc parts saved my life. I got a good buddy deal from my local dealer, MotoCorsa on a radiator, fan and other stuff. They were wrapped in Bubble wrap and a T shirt along with 2 calenders in my backpack. Worked swings and on my way home was hit by a drunk driver and lucky to be alive. The Duc parts were destroyed but acted as a Spine Protector. The dealer is very proud that Ducati parts save lives.

Some really cool customs out there with Ducs,, do some image searches on Google. Some guys locally have a big scene and the dealer and these locals host Duc days at the track.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

Oh, yeah, I have a Fuel commander computer piggyback setup on the S4, But reprogramming stock computer for the 998. Best to learn the belt service and when in doubt, install new ones.

Comment

• PaulYep5
              • Sep 2014

Thanks for all the responses so far. They're super helpful.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;