Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deelux
    • Dec 2009

09 sportster exhaust

Anyone know what the part on the factory exhaust that looks like it is a bracket or something that recirculates the exhaust? I don't know what to call it I'm at work or I'd go take a picture. Is it necessary for anything other than being a pain in the dick? Mine keeps coming loose and I just want to do away with it until I can buy or make something different. Thanks
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by deelux
    Anyone know what the part on the factory exhaust that looks like it is a bracket or something that recirculates the exhaust? I don't know what to call it I'm at work or I'd go take a picture. Is it necessary for anything other than being a pain in the dick? Mine keeps coming loose and I just want to do away with it until I can buy or make something different. Thanks
    It's there for a reason.... Yes it's needed post a pic when you get a chance.....

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Is it the exhaust interconnect (part #30)?
      2009 XL SPORTSTER® 883 (CN
      Click image for larger version

Name:	HD09XL079.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1309713
      Ronnie's Harley-Davidson® offers service and parts, and proudly serves the areas of New Ashford, Windsor, Lenox and New Lebanon.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• deelux
        • Dec 2009

Yes it is number 30.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Yes it is number 30.
          That's a support bracket....

Comment

• deelux
            • Dec 2009

Do you think I can remove it and plug the holes in the exhaust pipes and it won't have to be tuned since it's fuel injected. I could make a better mount that isn't such a pain to

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Do you think I can remove it and plug the holes in the exhaust pipes and it won't have to be tuned since it's fuel injected. I could make a better mount that isn't such a pain to
              Do what you think is best..... I don't see why you can't get it to stay tight...... I say your doing something wrong... Is it the exhaust side that's coming loose or the frame side???

I'll ask again............. Post a pic of your problem.....

Comment

• deelux
                • Dec 2009

When I get my bike out of storage I'll put it back on and try again. I had taken it off to try and figure why it was coming loose and I was in the middle of moving so I never got a chance to put it back together.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Again I'll ask is it getting loose on the frame side or on the exhaust???

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

If you want to re-install it, replace the gaskets (part #23 in Ronnie's link above):

DrewBone posted:
                    "These gaskets are called "muffler interconnect gaskets."

For my 2009 Sportster Iron, they are HD part #65927-00, and they come two to a package.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	440-857_A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1309723
                    Put them on/over the crossover pipe - NOT in the muffler, then slip your mufflers onto the engine pipe the proper amount, then rotate the muffler towards the gasket/crossover outlet [taking care not to screw up the gasket because they're fragile], align them, and press them down over the gasket/crossover outlet, slowly into position. They should slip over real easy. You have a small amount of play in the engine pipe to allow you some movement without screwing up the engine pipe gasket [you can loosen the engine pipes before hand if you want; just don't forget to retighten them after you're done with everything else]. Once they're in place and the mufflers are aligned with the crossover pipe bracket holes, hold the muffler in position and install the two lower mount bolts through the mufflers into the bracket and hand tighten them. Do the other muffler the same way, then add your center mounted pipe bracket, make sure everything's aligned, then tighten everything up. Slide your covers into position over the engine pipe[s] and tighten. Start 'er up and look and feel for leaks..."

More info and tips from others here:
                    Sportster Models - Crossover pipe gasket install - Hello, putting on new cycle shack slipons...took the stock off and there was crossover gaskets on the stock exhaust but they were badly disintegrated.... so i can buy more, question is do you put the gasket on the new slipon (like it was when i took the stock off)...
                    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-09-2019, 8:51 PM.
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• deelux
                      • Dec 2009

Thanks for the help. Tattoo I think if I remember right it was on the exhaust side. I think the previous owner must've messed around with it and just didn't put it back together right. I also was asking because I want to start doing some mods and want sure if this part was needed for some reason if I want to change the exhaust in the future.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;