Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garystaven88
    • Mar 2014

Dual Coil Mount Ideas

Post ride inspection on my 84' Low Rider I found the mounting area where the dual coil setup bolted to cracked. Other than welding/repairing the same area, are there better locations for this type of setup? Never was a fan on the coils sticking way out. Hopefully the pics upload.

• Tater66
    • Mar 2019

Between the cylinders, under petcock.

Many aftermarket makers or fab your own motor mount/coil combo

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Tater66
      Between the cylinders, under petcock.

Many aftermarket makers or fab your own motor mount/coil combo
      I don't believe there is room enough for both of those coils and bracket...........

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

How about one on each downtube?
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

I'd replace the stock bracket with something beefier for one coil then mount the second coil wherever you like. The usual location between the heads hung off the top engine mount works well.

Comment

• garystaven88
            • Mar 2014

Those engine mount coil brackets are beautiful but I think I will run into problems with the left side petcock and my 3.5 split tanks.

I think these were intended for bikes running small sportster tanks with a right side petcock. Can't imagine a single coil bracket would work either with my setup.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

^^^^ Man that is clean looking.....^^^^^^ I've never seen one like that..... The one's I've seen are between the heads at the top of the motor.....

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by garystaven88
                Those engine mount coil brackets are beautiful but I think I will run into problems with the left side petcock and my 3.5 split tanks.

I think these were intended for bikes running small sportster tanks with a right side petcock. Can't imagine a single coil bracket would work either with my setup.

Can see in your top pic how close that left petcock is to the top engine mount bracket and how tight it would be to the dual coil bracket in the photo above.
                Guessin' you got a right side petcock too?
                Make the right side a dual output petcock, and feed the left side from the tank with a 90 degree plumbing fitting in the tank, connecting to one of the dual tap outputs and the other tap output to your carb. If need be, build a simple drop bracket to lower that "clean looking" dual coil bracket down an inch or so...:
                dual pingle:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	pingel-dualout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1309712
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• horshak
                  • Oct 2010

I saw a bike in the horse where the guy mounted the coils behind the oil tank above the transmission in front of the back tire It was a hard tail but you might have space.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;