Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpeak
    • Nov 2012

Just received the 21" spool wheel from TCBros. Same one I ran on the ironhead. Love this wheel. So good.

Also just ordered this bad boy kit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_155349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1310663

Should get here next week then I'll take a run to my local scrap steel place for the box tube steel that it mounts to. I think if I was only hardtailing the frame with the weld-on basic unit... I may have been able to get it done with clamps, lines, etc. But once the hardtail is on... I plan to cut off the axle plates and replace them with this design:

Name:	20190512_141002.jpg
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	1310664

And once all that is done, and I have the tires on the wheels, and see the bike sitting on the ground, with the bars on, I'll make the final determination on the neck. There's a good chance that I might end up going a few inches up on the neck, and as a result of the hardtail lowering but having a 2 over springer, I might need to de-rake to get the forks back to a 30 degree rake. We'll see.

Point is - with all this frame stuff, a jig seemed like a good investment. I've read a lot of solid reviews on this jig kit, and watched a few YouTube videos of dudes who used it, all with positive vibes. I'll be posting a bunch more pics along the way once things get a bit more interesting.

Cheers!

Comment

• bobberadam
      • Jan 2011

I had seen those kits before but never really payed much attention, that looks like a really nice set up and the pieces look really quality. Let us know how it goes when you get it. Good on you for wanting to do it correctly. The bike is looking really good, keep up the good work!

Comment

• DeJongMike
        • Oct 2016

Just bought a 77 shovel this weekend! Can't wait to see how/what you do with this! I'll be looking for the parts you put up on the classified!

Comment

• bpeak
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by DeJongMike
          Just bought a 77 shovel this weekend! Can't wait to see how/what you do with this! I'll be looking for the parts you put up on the classified!
          Hey man. Sounds cool! I just hit you up on the instagram machine. I'm @bpeak82.

Comment

• bpeak
            • Nov 2012

Curious your thoughts especially if you have experience in this area. Could use some input. The plan for the alien gas tank is to do it fully welded and molded to the backbone. What's the best/safest way to do this? Leave the tank intact and just weld the mounts and then misc infill sheet metal? I might need to deepen the rear tunnel back by the seat to get the lines right. And if I'm doing that, I wouldn't mind dropping the front tunnel (red arrow) to get more gas capacity. So should we reset with a new tunnel, weld up the tank, pressure test, know that the gas will be contained well, THEN weld it to the frame, then infill sheet metal to close the gaps? How is best to do this to minimize vibration cracks in the bondo? Thoughts?

Name:	20190524_102818.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1310724

Comment

• bpeak
              • Nov 2012

Kind of an update I guess. So these handlebar risers... I bought for cheap. They didn't fit as-is. Had to modify them. Drill out the bore. Then drill for countersinking the bolt heads into the risers. So that was a task.

Then needed to split the bars. I knew the bars were too narrow at the bottom to fit. I have a plan for welding in a spacer then covering that spacer with aluminum (engraved). More on that later. Point is, I was able to get just a little visual about how the mockup looks. Slowly starting to look like something.

Name:	20190527_162905.jpg
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	1310836

Name:	20190528_070600.jpg
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	1310837

And this also arrived. Frame jig components in hand. First impression - this stuff is legit. Obviously the hardware is just hardware. Threaded rod. Bolts. Washers. Etc. That stuff is nice but I could get it at the local Ace Hardware. But the cones, spacers, plates, and brackets - these are super nice. Solid. Heavy duty. Powdercoat is clean. Machining on the cones is great. Good stuff. Going to try to find a good local steel supply place to get the sticks of rectangle and square tube for the frame of the jig sometime this week. Will keep you posted.

Name:	20190526_153451.jpg
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1310838

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bpeak
                Curious your thoughts especially if you have experience in this area. Could use some input. The plan for the alien gas tank is to do it fully welded and molded to the backbone. What's the best/safest way to do this? Leave the tank intact and just weld the mounts and then misc infill sheet metal? I might need to deepen the rear tunnel back by the seat to get the lines right. And if I'm doing that, I wouldn't mind dropping the front tunnel (red arrow) to get more gas capacity. So should we reset with a new tunnel, weld up the tank, pressure test, know that the gas will be contained well, THEN weld it to the frame, then infill sheet metal to close the gaps? How is best to do this to minimize vibration cracks in the bondo? Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94081[/ATTACH]
                Never did it, but think that a new tunnel that hugs the frame would reduce filler - metal or bondo. I wouldn't weld the tank to the frame as it will be the shits when or if it cracks from vibration. Maybe just some old school molding for a near seamless fit - just a hairline crack between tank and frame from the saran wrap used when adding filler. Tank could have tabs removed and threaded bungs welded inside the new tunnel and stepped bungs welded through frame for hidden allen head bolts from below.

Seen this thread:
                2012 Thread: Welding a tank to a frame?
                "...What are some positives and negatives of doing such?..."
                I was thinking about welding my tank directly to my frame, molding then painting the whole thing together. Has anyone else done this? What are some positives and negatives of doing such? Also can we posts some pictures of tanks welded and molded to the frame? Thanks!
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bpeak
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                  Never did it, but think that a new tunnel that hugs the frame would reduce filler - metal or bondo. I wouldn't weld the tank to the frame as it will be the shits when or if it cracks from vibration. Maybe just some old school molding for a near seamless fit - just a hairline crack between tank and frame from the saran wrap used when adding filler. Tank could have tabs removed and threaded bungs welded inside the new tunnel and stepped bungs welded through frame for hidden allen head bolts from below.

Seen this thread:
                  2012 Thread: Welding a tank to a frame?
                  "...What are some positives and negatives of doing such?..."
                  http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24140
                  Yea man I keep going back and forth on that part. Thanks for the thread link. I'll definitely check it out. Cheers!

Comment

• bpeak
                    • Nov 2012

So... I think I'm going to try something I've never done before. Going to carve this monkey head out of a solid chunk of aluminum as a shift knob. Why not, right? What could possibly go wrong? Shape idea is not original... go to www.monkeyedge.com and check out their monkey head jewelry beads. This is similar to one of them. But I'm sure as the carving starts... I'll adapt and change the shapes a bit. We'll see. Wish me luck.

Name:	20190601_093358.jpg
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1310965

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Hell ya. Those lip corners look like finger holes...maybe the middle of the cap needs to be blowing back and up a bit to fit your middle finger...
                      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bpeak
                        • Nov 2012

Picked up an engine stand finally... and had to see how it fit.

Got the drivetrain out. Frame looks good. Next step is to finish assembling the frame jig and get that hardtail work started.

One... small... step... at... a... time.

Name:	20190603_200951.jpg
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	1311013

Name:	20190603_201105.jpg
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	1311014

Name:	20190603_201109.jpg
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	1311015

Name:	20190603_201123.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	1311016

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bpeak
                          Yea man I keep going back and forth on that part. Thanks for the thread link. I'll definitely check it out. Cheers!
                          A couple pics in this blog of some nice metal work for frame to tank molding:

Name:	2008_09_Locust_Frame_work_039.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1311022

Name:	2008_09_Locust_Frame_work_059.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1311024

Name:	2008_09_Locust_Frame_work_055.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1311023
                          Now that I had my tank shaped to my liking it was time to mold it into the frame. I didn't want to use a shit ton of bondo. I wanted somet...

Comment

• bpeak
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                            A couple pics in this blog of some nice metal work for frame to tank molding:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]94444[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]94446[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]94445[/ATTACH]
                            http://kemosabeandthelodge.blogspot....e-molding.html
                            That's beautiful. I think the bike is Kurpius' "The Locust". Thing is a work of art for sure. I also was referred to this fella on IG that has a unique way of backing up the bondo:

Name:	Screenshot_20190525-093818_Instagram.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1311066

Name:	Screenshot_20190525-093835_Instagram.jpg
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1311067

Comment

• bpeak
                              • Nov 2012

Also got some work done on the frame jig. Starting to take shape I guess. Doesnt look like much, but it was cutting the 6' long 2x2 tube with an angle grinder down into lengths of 22", 22", 18", 3", 3", and 3". Lot's of sweat equity. Man I need a chop saw. I don't have a welder so I have to modify the instructions a bit. The normal way is to weld some of the nuts onto the leg and cross members for the bolt connections. I'm changing that to a thru-bolt design. More on that later. But what that meant was a lot more drilling and step-bit boring out.

I also only have... what is pretty much the cheapest possible drill press... known to man. But hey, it cuts thru metal. That's all I needed it for.

Name:	20190605_161251.jpg
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	1311068

Name:	20190605_161257.jpg
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1311069

Name:	20190605_165036.jpg
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	1311070

I'll update with more pics on this later. Almost ready to start bolting bits together on it.

Comment

• bpeak
                                • Nov 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand one last thing... the aluminum came in.

Name:	20190605_115902.jpg
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1311072

I'll be first slicing off some pads of aluminum that I will later use for emblems, foot pedal pads, and other misc stuff. With what is left, I'll band-saw the block in profile view of the monkey head as a start. Then front profile view as best I can to get some of the bulk metal peeled away faster. Then, it's all about that dremel. My hands are not going to be happy --- but I'm hopeful that the final product is worth using.

Cheers!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;