CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 11 of 12 First ... 9101112 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Also been working to start the long process of prepping the rocker boxes for engraving. Decided to keep the current boxes (which are black) and just put in the elbow grease to get em where I want em, rather than selling/buying new.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_171423.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	99269

The black coating is super thick. Took a good while to break it down but it's getting there.

Name:	20200101_171440.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	99270

I'll do the same process on these as I did the trans lid. Stainless wire brush. Then 4 degrees of brillo wheels on the dremel. Once I have both boxes to that point, then I'll do a medium polish on the boxes and trans lid all at the same time. Might have to finally spring for a benchtop polishing machine and bigger wheels. The dremel and polishing tips were fine for the carb but this bigger area... ugh. We'll see.

Cheers!

Get Adobe Flash player

Not sure how much shop space you have however, when I polished all the stainless on the Grand Prix I restored I ended up with a long reach unit from Eastwood with a pedestal.

Having the unit freestanding like that allows you to really move the pieces and get into the odd areas. You do need to put a couple of anchors into the floor to secure the pedestal but well worth it.

Of course I was doing mainly long pieces of trim. I ended up selling off the unit I had and now I have a bench unit that I used on the Panhead, not nearly as useful as one side is always over the bench so you can only really use one wheel at a time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Not sure how much shop space you have however, when I polished all the stainless on the Grand Prix I restored I ended up with a long reach unit from Eastwood with a pedestal.

Having the unit freestanding like that allows you to really move the pieces and get into the odd areas. You do need to put a couple of anchors into the floor to secure the pedestal but well worth it.

Of course I was doing mainly long pieces of trim. I ended up selling off the unit I had and now I have a bench unit that I used on the Panhead, not nearly as useful as one side is always over the bench so you can only really use one wheel at a time.
    Right on man good call. Yea that was a bit what I was thinking too. Was maybe thinking some sort of turntable with locking pins or something so I could have one wheel hanging off the end of the bench. Then if I need the other wheel I could pop the pin, rotate it, and be set. Not quite sure yet.

Get Adobe Flash player

You would need to be REALLY careful as one of the wheels would be rotating in the "wrong" direction and if you have ever launched a piece of trim across the room, you know you really don't want that coming toward you!
    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 01-03-2020 at 1:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

So - I'm all for resto and making things beautiful that were once ugly. But after hours and hours on one rocker box... the end is not in sight. Without a sand/media blaster and proper polishing equipment, these boxes are just a bit more than I can afford to get to where I want them to be. Ended up ordering a brand new set of polished boxes that I'll be able to fit up, then engrave, pretty much right out of the box. Will save me WAY more time than the cost of the boxes themselves.

Maybe in the future if I get (or find someone with) a media blaster and polisher I'll get these '82 boxes prepped... engrave em.. and sell em. Not sure. Anyone wanna commission a project set of shovel boxes? Hit me up.

In the meantime, I'll sit back and wait for a package to arrive. Cheers fellas.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bpeak View Post
    So - I'm all for resto and making things beautiful that were once ugly. But after hours and hours on one rocker box... the end is not in sight. Without a sand/media blaster and proper polishing equipment, these boxes are just a bit more than I can afford to get to where I want them to be. Ended up ordering a brand new set of polished boxes that I'll be able to fit up, then engrave, pretty much right out of the box. Will save me WAY more time than the cost of the boxes themselves.

Maybe in the future if I get (or find someone with) a media blaster and polisher I'll get these '82 boxes prepped... engrave em.. and sell em. Not sure. Anyone wanna commission a project set of shovel boxes? Hit me up.

Those boxes are shit...... They are full of pits and imperfections.......... That's why so many were painted from the factory.......

My 79 FXS rocker boxes were honorable......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Those boxes are shit...... They are full of pits and imperfections.......... That's why so many were painted from the factory.......

My 79 FXS rocker boxes were honorable......
    Yea man for real. The top sides aren't too bad honestly. Especially since I was going to engrave over the areas. But the sides and around the bolt holes are definitely not very good. I'd totally run em semi-polished on a normal go bike. But this ride is shaping up a bit more clean and tidy. These boxes really need to be smokin.

Additionally... a brother I've got to know in IG cooked me up a custom mag setup atop a burkhardt nose. He put some custom goodies and replaced some of the gears with better quality.

Name:	Screenshot_20200109-133643_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	99486

Name:	Screenshot_20200109-133653_Instagram.jpg 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	99487

Got some more tricks up the sleeve for the mag. Engraving, and some custom paint on the underside of the mag cover. More to come. I'm super pumped tho. It arrived in the mail today and I'm stoked to mock it up on the bike tonight.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd just Ebay the shitty boxes then spend the cash on more tools or steel for a blast cabinet.

Tools make more toys but toys don't make tools. If ya don't need a part, turn it into money into stuff you want. Effort can pay off best when focused, like on that nice Burkhardt mag setup.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I'd just Ebay the shitty boxes then spend the cash on more tools or steel for a blast cabinet.

Tools make more toys but toys don't make tools. If ya don't need a part, turn it into money into stuff you want. Effort can pay off best when focused, like on that nice Burkhardt mag setup.
    That's sound logic for sure. Bummer is that I now have one box black, and one half way cleaned up. Not a very attractive set for someone to spend money on. Not sure. Prolly shelf em till I have more time to tinker with em.

In the meantime, mag arrived yesterday and late evening I was finally able to get home and check it out. Did a one-bolt mockup just to see. Gotta see. Always gotta peek at what it will look like right? haha. I love this thing. I've never had a bike with a mag before and have always held them in high regard as some sort of rite-of-passage for any "real" chopper (whatever that means). Point is... I think they look cool and serve a solid function of simplicity. And I am STOKED to finally have one. Cred to @cyclestopnj on Instagram for the mag build, tweak, testing, and hookup.

Name:	20200113_215338.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	99493

Get Adobe Flash player

Doing some layouts for the areas that will receive engraving. Ended up purchasing a new set of rockerboxes pre-polished. So I'll be using this old set for mockup, template making, etc. Also used one old one last night to mock up how I'm going to have to hack em. I have to cut of and flush smooth out the mount boss underneath that is between the pushrod holes. Since that mount isn't used anyway with the head reversal... no biggie. But... with the boss still there it is impossible to fit a sparkplug into the head. Won't fit. But... with that center mount hole on the rocker boxes and that dropped down boss removed... I can fit a sparkplug. Granted, I'll have to do the screw-in-exposed end spark plug wire type. (have to remove the spark plug tip still to fit under the boxes to get the screw threads started... but... it'll work.

I was hopeful that since dudes run dual plug all the time that the plug would fit this side no prob. But apparently when the dual plug hole is drilled it is drilled down at a lower angle. Who knows. Anyway... yet another crisis averted.

Name:	20200117_180310.jpg 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	99588

Name:	20200117_180321.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	99589

Get Adobe Flash player

And then the big moment. Hacking away at the cylinders.

I was able to do some simple grinding with the angle grinder and sander wheels to knock down the cylinder flange to miss the rear tappet block.

BEFORE:

Name:	20200118_092805.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	99590

AFTER:

Name:	20200118_100226.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	99591

That was pretty straight forward. Took it slow. Didn't stay on one area for long. Eased into it as to not overheat or jar the jug. No problems. Then came the harder part.

The normal rear cylinder has that sloped flange, that is now on the very front of my engine. It overhangs the case bad. So I wanted to knock that down to a plumb face rather than the slope. But that would be a TON of grinding. So... looking around the garage... used the best tool I could find and did some sketchy hand-held cuts...

Name:	20200118_111639.jpg 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	99592

Get Adobe Flash player

After some rough cut on both sides...

Name:	20200118_113225.jpg 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	99593

End result for the morning's worth of worth of work was half way decent:

Name:	20200118_120549.jpg 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	99594

Name:	20200118_120627.jpg 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	99595

So I just have one more part of a flange to remove the same way. Here you can see just how much that sloped flange was sticking out, and how clean the new side looks:

Name:	20200118_120725.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	99596

So once I get that last flange off, the bases will be good to go. Then I get to move on to grinding the fins for the pushrod tube passageways. With that, I can already tell that there is good news, and not so good news. I'll start at the front of the bike and work back pushrod by pushrod...

FRONT EXHAUST - totally clears already. No grinding needed. No fin obstruction. Plenty of room to slide the tubes for pushrod maintenance.

FRONT INTAKE - hits some fins but not bad. only on the head. not on the cylinder. only off by a hair. Should be able to grind a valley no problem over about 4 or 5 fins. Piece of cake.

REAR INTAKE - this is the problem child. It's way off. This pushrod base in the tappet is the farthest inbound and is majorly hitting fins. I'm going to have to grind away quite a few fins behind this tube, and those may end up being ground all the way down to the solid body of the cylinders/head for a bit. Tough thing is that with the rotation, there is now a head bolt between the pushrods. no problem for top end removal since the pushrods would be removed if I ever had to take the head off. But... that means that within the fins is the solid part of the head bolt boss. It will be close. from what I can measure and eyeball, I should be good. Plus, I've seen other photos of this exact setup done on a running riding bike so... we'll see. This is the only tube I'm nervous about fitment on.

REAR EXHAUST - hits some fins but not bad. only on the head. not on the cylinder. only off by a hair. Should be able to grind a valley no problem over about 4 or 5 fins. Piece of cake.

We'll see. Wish me luck! Gotta get this top end mocked up so that I can get the whole rig over to Dragstews to work his magic.

Hey Jesse - comin' atcha soon brother!

Get Adobe Flash player

Just got a new bottle of Pixie Dust too .....

Last edited by Dragstews; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:53 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL - oh man... gettin weird.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bit late to be saying Dat....

It done got weird when you flipped those heads to the other side .. !! Going to be very to see the final outcome of this wild and bizarre build ..

Get Adobe Flash player

Got a care package in the mail. I've always looked up to Paul Cox and his work. Happy to have some of his craftsmanship on my build. Actually have one of his single row chain open primaries coming too. More on that later. Super stoked tho.

Name:	20200121_200451.jpg 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	99647

Get Adobe Flash player

Also did some test grinding on the cylinder/head fins. So for the front tappet... intake pushrod tube... the fins needed ground a bit.

Used a chalk pencil to put some hash marks for reference while the top end is mocked together and pushrod tube is in place:

Name:	20200123_124114.jpg 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	99648

Then took the assembly off and completed the arcs where I wanted the depth:

Name:	20200123_124920.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	99649

Then got to grinding. Using the large HF hand held grinder and carbide bits worked well on the cylinders to get thru the steel. But the carbide bits just clogged up in the aluminum of the heads. That was easier to get thru using an angle grinder with a sander flap wheel and going slow at it. Here is the rough cut pass version and mockup to check clearances:

Name:	20200123_131216.jpg 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	99650

Name:	20200123_131310.jpg 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	99651

Name:	20200123_131317.jpg 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	99652

Fits like a glove. Pushrod tube collar slides up and past perfectly. Good to go. For final, I'll go back and smooth out these cuts. I'll round off the edges a bit to make it look like an original fin shape, and do one last pass to make sure the trough of the groove is all lined up with no cutouts being higher or lower than others. So far so good!

Now comes the harder one. The rear. I'll use the same process with the chalk pencil to put dot marks... connect the marks... and then grind. One step at a time right?

Get Adobe Flash player

Was looking at the large hump on the jugs for the oil return ...
    Can't it be shaved down more .. ?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post

Was looking at the large hump on the jugs for the oil return ...
    Can't it be shaved down more .. ?
    Prolly. I have it rounded to where the bottom no longer overhangs. It kinda rounds upward and outward. I might take it down a bit more tho yea. For sure.

Speaking of the metals tho... with steel jugs and aluminum heads... and powdercoating... will the powder work on both in the same way? Any issues there? I want the jugs and heads to match powder color. Whatcha think?

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah the Powder will lay down looking the same on both surfaces ...

Share This