CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Gun Control.. lets discuss (please bring your knowledge, not media hype fed bullshit)

So lets hear it. This spilled over from another thread, I'm pro gun but am not an NRA fanboy so lets have a logical gun control discussion who knows maybe we can work together to find a solution. I'll let the other side have THE OPENING ARGUMENT, but beware if you use the word clip, ghost gun, full semi auto, or want to try and tell me that an AR or a .223 round causes more destruction or has a faster rate of fire than any other semi auto I will ridicule your uninformed self in front of the masses for all to see.

My personal situation is not one-size-fits-all, rather right tool for the job. For me (and I only speak for myself), I am a full-time RV'r. Which is not the 'norm'. I won't travel without a firearm. RV living while not inherently risky, can find you with 'new' neighbors at any time. Most are completely fine but, you can find yourself out numbered rather quickly.
    My weapon of choice is a Taurus Judge, 3" cylinder/3" barrel. I have chosen this because it is a handheld very maneuverable .410 with defensive loads(bb's and discs). This is intended for use against home invasion. I don't want a gun that shoots a projectile that will penetrate multiple closely packed RV's. We currently live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, human-trafficking happens here. The cargo is deposited into local safehouses usually with no supplies. Home invasion is just one way to cope.
    I refuse to be a victim. Not being armed is not an option.
    Last edited by Steelsmith; 05-18-2018 at 3:47 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am pro gun but pro regulation. Not regulation of the guns but regulation of the people.

It is insane to me that to drive a motorcycle you need to take a test and prove you can ride a bike, but can buy a gun simply with a background check and an ID over 18. Hell, in some states you even have to take an 8 hour or longer course before they will give you a license.

While that is inconvenient, i am not against it because there are actually plenty of people who get in that class and realize riding s not for them, rather than learning after they buy a bike and possibly make a grave mistake.

If it were up to me a 2-4 week class would be necessary before ever being able to handle let alone own a firearm. That, paired with an in-depth psych evaluation. I used to work in the nuclear industry and we received lengthy training and scrutinizing of our character and history before we were allowed to set foot in the plant, due to the responsibility that carries.

Additionally, I think that needs to be a bi yearly process to ensure the training is up to date and the fitness to own the firearm is still viable as well.

The natural rebuttal is the drugs argument, where they say "that will only affect law abiding people". You're right there, so I think we also need to end the war on drugs and start using hard and long sentences for illegal firearm charges, similar too Europe. Only extreme gangsters carry over there because the punishment is so severe if caught.

Obviously this is just my opinion of what we could actually do and may work, but thanks to the NRA having their hand so far up Washington's ass they are wiggling their tongue, nothing will ever happen.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dirtygrotonscoundrel View Post

Obviously this is just my opinion of what we could actually do and may work, but thanks to the NRA having their hand so far up Washington's ass they are wiggling their tongue, nothing will ever happen.
    ^^^^I'm not going to through my nickel in this thread just yet...... But you are spot on......^^^^^^

I am pro gun by the way....

I agree with competency/background and even some type of psyc eval but, it would have to be relevant testing. I know several people who are half a bubble off that might be ruled not competent to carry. I also know people in law enforcement and/or military who would pass testing. Some of those a bit off? I'd rather see them armed before the ones who Are armed!
    My point is, the testing would have to be dynamic, not you have to regurgitate the answer by the book. That criteria would make the process unwieldy and less likely to happen.
    I don't have the magic answer ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Kind of an off the wall idea - a registry, available to the public. Not of guns or gun owners, but of people who, for one reason or another, should not have guns. Convicted felons, domestic abusers, and the mentally incompetent. Sort of like a no-fly list, with a mechanism for being removed from the list if you shouldn't be there. No reason given on the list, just the list. Make it a crime to sell to these people or otherwise provide. Make gun owners responsible that, if these people are in their household, they don't have access. Offer rewards to turn in people on the list who have guns.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm pro-gun, but believe the US could screen people better. But know this -the UK's three worst massacres (Dunblane, Hungerford, and Cumbria) were committed by registered firearms users. Gun ownership is minimal here now, friends lost whole collections after Dunblane. Dunblane happened because the police were too spineless to disallow a licence to an unfit person. Screening alone won't stop all shooting deaths. Gun crime still happens in the UK, because of gang culture, which exists largely because of drugs.
    Gun control UK style makes no difference to criminals...make sure you safeguard your people, but don't let your government do what ours did.
    Last edited by Hoghead; 05-19-2018 at 1:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The only thing I'm sure of is that the Gop & NRA's current policy will eventually lead to a draconian ban. I really enjoy my guns and will hate to see what the backlash will be like.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dirtygrotonscoundrel View Post
    I am pro gun but pro regulation. Not regulation of the guns but regulation of the people.

It is insane to me that to drive a motorcycle you need to take a test and prove you can ride a bike, but can buy a gun simply with a background check and an ID over 18. Hell, in some states you even have to take an 8 hour or longer course before they will give you a license.

While that is inconvenient, i am not against it because there are actually plenty of people who get in that class and realize riding s not for them, rather than learning after they buy a bike and possibly make a grave mistake.

If it were up to me a 2-4 week class would be necessary before ever being able to handle let alone own a firearm. That, paired with an in-depth psych evaluation. I used to work in the nuclear industry and we received lengthy training and scrutinizing of our character and history before we were allowed to set foot in the plant, due to the responsibility that carries.

Additionally, I think that needs to be a bi yearly process to ensure the training is up to date and the fitness to own the firearm is still viable as well.

The natural rebuttal is the drugs argument, where they say "that will only affect law abiding people". You're right there, so I think we also need to end the war on drugs and start using hard and long sentences for illegal firearm charges, similar too Europe. Only extreme gangsters carry over there because the punishment is so severe if caught.

I rode motorcycles long before taking any test, and shot firearms long before that.

Fuck regulatory agencies they only have authority under the threat of violence, whilst carrying.... firearms.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    I rode motorcycles long before taking any test, and shot firearms long before that.

Fuck regulatory agencies they only have authority under the threat of violence, whilst carrying.... firearms.
    Agree, agree, agree.
    Short, to the point and well said.

Ohhhhh Shit here we go.
    First of all I do not mean to offend anyone.
    I am an Australian and under the laws of the state I live in I own 2 rifles. I could own more but two is enough. (for now) (a .22 and a .308 both bolt action repeaters) They are by law secured in a safe on my residential premises. that only licensed shooters have access too.
    This means that my (late) wife who was not a licensed shooter did not have a key to my gunsafe.
    I cannot tell you just how deeply that offended me and annoyed her.
    If I was interested I could own a handgun but I find the restrictions too annoying. In my state the control of handguns has always been very strict. By always, I mean all my life and I was born in 1959.
    I am licensed to own a shotgun but elect not to because I have no use for one.
    My situation is the similar to many Australians.
    Here owning a firearm is a privelge (sp) afforded to "people of good repute". If you have a criminal record or due to very recent legislation (within the last few weeks) associate with people of criminal reputation you will not be granted a firearms license.
    Here firearms are carefully legislated.
    IT DOESN"T STOP CRIMINALS FROM GETTING FIREARMS.
    Americans' by and large have the right to bear arms.
    CRIMINALS GET GUNS IN AMERICA.
    The issue as I see it is not gun control, it is criminal control.
    Yes, I know you have school shootings but none the less I am fairly sure that shooting people in America is a crime.
    Given that we can't control criminals,( Because if we could no one would be shot except by accident (A different debate) we need to control guns or rather criminals access to them.
    Australia has less gun crime than America because we have fewer guns, we have fewer road deaths because we have fewer cars.
    So, what do I think...?
    Australia has a No dickheads may own a firearm policy. America has a Any dickhead can own a gun policy.
    We both live in democracies. I think America needs a No dickheads can have a gun policy. I don't know how you are going to do it and I don't think our solution (which I didn't then and still don't approve of) will work in America.
    Please note that this is one man's opinion, I don't pretend to speak for any one other than myself.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just two thoughts on the matter:

There are so many unregistered guns and gun owners in this country, that the only way to enforce a regulation is to go door to door....not gonna happen in my opinion

Second, I think the troubles we having are not going to be solved with regulations and Laws. In the case of the mass shootings, the gun was only the tool, take away the tool and the person will just find another means to carry out their objective. I think the issue is more societal not an issue of who can own what.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wish guns didn't exist, at all. I don't give a fuck about the constitution or what anyone's rights are. The national guard can do a door to door sweep - operation seize and destroy or whatever they want to call it, then ban the fucking things permanently. They are absolutely useless and serve no purpose in modern American society.

Get Adobe Flash player

And they’re going to use guns to take guns? Sounds like a great idea. I’m sure no slaves will be killed in the process. wish in one hand shit in the other, there is no magical gun seeking magnet for the millions of guns already in private ownership, they’re going nowhere.

I don’t know your definition of purpose, but I can come up with plenty for my firearms.... if my decisions don’t affect another’s life or liberty, they are mine to make. I don’t take orders from some smchuck that that got lobbed a sword from a watery tart.
    Last edited by SamHain; 05-21-2018 at 9:31 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    And they’re going to use guns to take guns? Sounds like a great idea. I’m sure no slaves will be killed in the process. wish in one hand shit in the other, there is no magical gun seeking magnet for the millions of guns already in private ownership, they’re going nowhere.
    That's the only way it could be done. Guns to take guns. Very few Americans will willingly give over firearms to the government without the threat of violence implied along with seizure.

Yeah, if you want an armed revolt, that's the way to go! Dumbass ...!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    I wish guns didn't exist, at all. I don't give a fuck about the constitution or what anyone's rights are.
    They do (guns) and you should (Constitution) and this attitude ( I don't give a fuck about what anyone's rights are ) is what leads to violence against humanity.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    I wish guns didn't exist, at all. I don't give a fuck about the constitution or what anyone's rights are. The national guard can do a door to door sweep - operation seize and destroy or whatever they want to call it, then ban the fucking things permanently. They are absolutely useless and serve no purpose in modern American society.
    Then go away. Move to a place where communists rule Your world. America is about Freedom & Gun ownership is a huge part of that. As long as Tyrants, Assholes, & Beasts roam the Earth, Guns will serve a purpose to those who value freedom & preservation. So please leave now.

Get Adobe Flash player

I knew that would get a few tight panties in here.

Guns are pointless and people suck, those are the only comments I stand by. The rest was bullshit for my own entertainment.

I don't know what the solution is to our gun problem. Whatever it is, probably isn't a reasonable one because people aren't reasonable.

Get Adobe Flash player

Both the 'rampage' type shootings and the criminal slayings are societal to an extent. Stopping the first is a quick win- don't let the mentally ill have guns . Criminality is a bit harder to crack . We've had a bad start to the year in London -no 'rampages' but nearly 60 youngsters dead through gang violence. This has coincided with Government budget cuts to the border force and youth outreach programmes...

Share This