CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ever run a lake injector?

Well,, have ya

Get Adobe Flash player

No because my motorcycles aren't experimental aircraft and I'm a retired aircraft mechanic who knows better. Still have two Posas (EDIT, doh, just dug 'em up and they are Lakes) I picked up for next to nothing before I was an aircraft mechanic to see how they worked. They came as a pair and appear to fit a British twin but I've not checked and likely won't until I Ebay them for too much money.

They've zero inherent advantage on a street bike over a flat slide carb with a float bowl and unlike carbs with float bowls they beg for flooding if used in a gravity feed system because they rely on the slide needle to shut off fuel if user forgets the petcock. Leave your petcock on and you may be sadder than usual with a float carb. They were known for flooding when used on motorcycles. They came from the experimental light aircraft world where float bowls are a disadvantage for obvious reasons like inverted flight or high G's and owners built their aircraft so they are (or should be) very aware of startup and shutdown procedures. Their simplicity means no accelerator pump (not needed for aircraft use but very nice to have on a motorcycle) and no tunable mid-range fuel circuit. Worthwhile reading:

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16479

Modern Sonex AeroCarbs/AeroInjectors are quite similar and can be used with gravity feed systems or low pressure pump systems.

http://www.aeroconversions.com/produ...arb/index.html

EDIT:
    Tzienlee just posted a reminder Lectrons still exist. They're one of the first flat slides and have float bowls:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52994
    Last edited by farmall; 03-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would have never thought one of those fire traps would have been around a plane.

Get Adobe Flash player

Experimental aircraft use is under more carefully managed conditions so they aren't an issue if pilots follow proper starting and shutdown procedure. They aren't fire hazards in flight but flight isn't riding. A float bowl in flight would be hazardous because toilet floats bounce and fall open when inverted. No float? No mixture issues with aerobatics!

Bikers just throw parts at motorcycles because they look cool. Aircraft have to function or you die. Bikers become emotionally attached to parts because they look cool, and when they get oddball shit running they reflexively praise it as better then other shit.

Aircraft parts have to be utterly reliable in aircraft use. They don't need to be anything in non-aircraft use because they aren't intended for it. Custom bike shit just has to sort of work.

Bike parts have to fill owners emotional needs.

Aircraft parts have to fill survival needs first.
    Last edited by farmall; 03-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Farmall has the best quotes!

I got in trouble when I went back and took civilian aviation school classes at a local Comm. College, One they hated Military mechanics, #2) I used to criticize sacred cows like aviation mags, One of the ignition classes the instructor made fun of me every chance he got. Years later when EI retro fit kits came on the market place I clipped out ads in Aviation mechanics monthly for a year and mailed them old Harold. (He asked me to stop finally, I wanted to make sure he got the mssg)

As to the injectors,, I tried once as well with a swap meet find, a pair of them on a Triumph 750. Was an interesting waste of time. I sold them at the next swap meet. However, ID LOVE to get a set cheap and slap on a static display motor I have. (For bike shows and oooohs & ahhhhhs) Farmall,, if you want to trade for sumptin?? or... give me a heads up before feebay and whats your price?? Will be bike show art, Can be boogered up inside for all I care...

Lastly,, not to hijack, But I have 3 years of old Aviation Mech Monthly magazines. Chock full of tech, legal advice and stories with a high quality magazine. Free to anyone who covers postage and perhaps can use to either A) Entertain, B) Edu-mah-cate perhaps a youngster or other developing mind? (36+ issues)
    Retail was like 8 or 9 dollars an issue, I think they went belly up, but was a great magazine for many years. High quality print and photos.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sure we can barter for something. I'll inspect and clean 'em to make sure they are good to go.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I'm sure we can barter for something. I'll inspect and clean 'em to make sure they are good to go.
    that would be awesome, However the dont need to be functional, Just look like it. Trust me, they will never run. They will be used for static display only. I do a few events promoting our local vintage museum and I found certain display items draw in the crowds..
    I have a blown up BSA Goldstar engine that looks intact from the outside. People swarm over that thing and I have to post "NOT for SALE" signs on it.
    One guy refuses to accept this stuff is Display only and tries to buy the items from others if I am away from the booth. So one time, a buddy who is a certified smart ass told that guy (Well known wheeler-dealer, aka "Ripoff Rob") that I bought that Goldstar engine/trans at the local goodwill thrift store in the lawn & Garden dept for $50.
    I am doing some cut-away engines & Trans too..Fun stuff where you can turn the crank handle and watch stuff move.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cutaways are a fine tradition which shouldn't have gone away.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Cutaways are a fine tradition which shouldn't have gone away.
    Indeed, Indeed they are. Its fun, educational, and a great use for blown up or scrap engines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NortonbeertapsIMGP1678-L.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	92364

Share This