Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeaterPeter
    • Mar 2019

74 Ironhead wiring help!

Hey guys! Im new here, but I've got a few projects I'm working on right now. I bought 2 basket case engines (74 1000cc bored .10 over and a 79 1000cc ) a rolling chassis, and another 74 1000cc that's put together in a stand. I plan on building 2 maybe 3 bikes down the road, but I'm working on the one in the stand right now, and plan on swapping it into the frame. I'm new to wiring but I'm okay with mechanical things but not great. I'm just trying to get the engine in the stand running, could someone point me to a good diagram? As far as ik, the generator is good, the ignition, coil, etc. It has a dyna s ignition, instead of points. So basically I need help with seeing what needs wired up and what needs wired to what in order to get it running, but being new to this, I dont want to wire something up wrong and fry something expensive, thanks appreciate the help!
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Study wiring threads including this one: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51400

Read, read, then read more.

Comment

• WillSCB
      • Dec 2014

So, if I am understanding you right, you are looking to do just enough wiring to get it running in the engine stand? Should be pretty basic. FFor the Dyna S ignition (depending on if it is single fire or dual fire) you have a power wire, and either one or two trigger wires. They go to the coil or coils. You will also need a battery wired up to it with the positive running to the starter and a wire from the positive terminal to the power wire of the Dyna S and to the coil. Negative terminal of the battery goes to a good ground. You will also need a regulator/ rectifier going from the generator to the battery. Good luck.

Comment

• Hubbard
        • Dec 2010

Boy you got the fever bad! Lol,good for you, before you take another step,get a factory service manual . If you don’t have one yet a test light is next. Before you go nuts buyin parts, start at the front and work to the back and diagnose all your parts. There are basically 2types of wiring, the way it came from the factory and what might be called chopper type. One takes a hundred wires and the other takes about 6 or7. Don’t try to do too much at a time and post lots of pics. Enjoy

Comment

• KeaterPeter
          • Mar 2019

Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure it runs, I can wire up, acc. Later. I'm going for a minimal chopper look anyways don't need lots of fancy wiring lol. It has the rectifier mounted by the battery box and everything was semi wired up, but there were a few wires running to nowhere, and I'd feel more comfortable knowing everything is running to the correct spot before I put power to it. And I've got a clymer manual, a factory manual, and two parts catalogs to look at for reference, I'm bout to go get a voltage meter and a test light this weekend also. Thanks farmall I'll check that link out, thanks everyone, I'll see what I can do!
          Last edited by KeaterPeter; 03-26-2019, 4:37 PM.

Comment

• KeaterPeter
            • Mar 2019

Okay this might sound stupid but I'm not seeing a starter motor on this thing or any wires in that general location, it is a kickstart model btw, but I drew these.
            Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

You don't need to wire the charging system for a run test, only power to the ignition system, but you might as well since you can test your generator(s).

Search "simplified Sportster wiring" for some examples to copy. i could post them but it will improve your vitally important search-fu.

Generators have inspection bands. Remove yours and inspect the brushes and commutator. Your factory service manual covers that. Generators ain't bad but most riders don't know to look after them.

Comment

• KeaterPeter
                • Mar 2019

Okay will do, I looked at the other thread you linked and the picture on there helped me a little bit, I just need to read some more

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;