X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amichaels
    • Apr 2015

Rigid Shovel Softail Caliper on a Dual Flange 16 spoked wheel

What's going on,

I'm battling the rear end of my rigid shovel project. Looking to run the softail caliper as many do in the rear, however i have a softail caliper currently and it's battling me. First off I cant even get the caliper around the rotor seemingly without hitting the rim lip. This caliper is also the newer one which is 00-07 I believe. Are the earlier 87-99 caliper's smaller? Or is this going to be an issue with the dual flange hub regardless of the early or late model caliper. also 11.5 rotor obviously.

Thanks ya'll
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Post clear pictures of caliper and rim.

If we were telepathic we'd be rich.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Without seeing what ya got, how about compressing the caliper puck(s), opening the space between the brake pads to fit it on there? Or as an alternative, loosen the rotor screws, slip on the caliper and tighten rotor screws back to specs...
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• amichaels
        • Apr 2015

I'd had actually thought about pulling the rotor off, sliding the caliper/compressed pads over the rotor, then bolt back on. And yes I'd already tried just compressing the caliper pads and sliding it over, but the actual body of the rotor hits the lip of the rim and wont allow me to slide it over. Can take photos once I'm home but may just go for the second option and pull it off, slide the pads over, and re-install the rotor to the wheel.

Comment

• Motocrash
          • Sep 2010

What size rim? I'm running a 2000 softail caliper on mine. I have a 18" on the back and have plenty of clearance. I had to shave the axle end a bit to get the caliper to center on the rotor tho.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Motocrash; 03-25-2019, 6:16 PM.

Comment

• Tater66
            • Mar 2019

I ran the same caliper on a a 16" Shovel rim. The back of the caliper needs to be "machined' to clear.
            Take a flap disc on a grinder and "ease' the outer rim. Once you get enough off, its a bit tricky to to slip the caliper on while holding rim/spacers and all that shit. I am a fan of running the axle from the opposite direction. Easier to get all that stuff on the axle before dicking with the caliper.

Comment

• Tater66
              • Mar 2019

Mock up is 10" but lower pic has 11.5"

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;