CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 2nd generation lectron

I have been running an original 1st Generation Lectron carb from 1975, that I managed to find new old stock about 3 years ago now,
    I really like the way it works, so bloody simple and they sort of tune themselves.
    great power and even economy ..
    talking to a few people at Lectron and others who are running the 2nd Generation who reckon they are
    even better, now fitted with top end power jets developed from their drag racing carbs and idle circuits that
    let you set a nice low idle that also helps starting with magneto ignition which I am running.
    I'll be fitting it in the next week or two and will keep you up on how it performs, but so far I like what I see
    and Lectrons service has been real great, they built the carb to my motors needs and got shipped to me here in England all in just 8 days !! cant beat that,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1279.jpg   DSCN1283.jpg   DSCN1284.jpg   DSCN1287.jpg   DSCN1290.jpg  

Last edited by tzienlee; 05-02-2020 at 6:37 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Interesting to see they're still around. Nice looking carb.

Do they have dyno comparisons with the competition?
    Last edited by farmall; 03-18-2019 at 7:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Farmall,... this is their web site, I have seen dyno printouts, but may have been from another Source like youtube or the like

I am dead curious how this turned out.
    Or in any newer experience with the Lectron.
    I don`t mean old hear-say, but road experience, especially with the carbs they now sell labeled "Generation II".

I had one Lectron carb set up for my 1987 Evo, Paul Gast even made a custom rod for me and i had tried and
    rode almost any available rod, jet set-up and especially dozens of adjustments, within two years.
    WHEN IT RAN - this carb is killer.

But, that is the point - as the carb does not have a real , street-type, idle system, it does not hold it`s adjustment.
    Once it loses adjustment - and it will, due to daily differencies in climate conditions, you need to adjust new.
    Are you willing to adjust your street motorcycle prior to ride ?
    I had also profs to do adjustment after i went through all this. Just to be sure it is not me who is doing wrong.

In fact nobody did wrong - except maybe for the fact it was sold by that time via FBG as HD kit, suggesting it would be a street motorcycle kit.
    It is what it is - a race carb without a real idle system, so if you want to ride it, go and adjust. Everytime.
    That is what i found out within two years with big effort.

Swapped to a Mikuni after this and never had to touch that carb since install.
    The Lectron was big fun and amazing, when it ran. Felt like a cam change.

I had one very frightening situation also, that i remember very well : The slide hung up.
    Since there is only one gas cable and i had no kill switch on that bike, this was dangerous.
    I had to break and stop, keep holding the clutch with left hand and reaching with the right hand to the ignition switch which was located on the left side between cyclinders, while the enginge reved to sky.

Better not happen somewhere you can`t stop.
    And they want 800 now for their carb.....
    Mikuni has the slide on bearings, probably little chance to hang up.

I had the carb lying around afterwars and showed it a racer once - when he looked at it, he just said
    "ah that`s a race carb, don`t use that one on your`s except you like to adjust permanently..."
    Yeah i know, i said...
    Last edited by EASYGEAR; 05-01-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

As said above, it fired up first time, didn't need even the idle to be reset, have been running this one for over a year without a hick up, in all weathers, speeds and rates of acceleration, I don't really watch the mpg as i just fill up when i need but I don't fill up on runs as much as others, the power delivery is good and is very easy to control around town & at slower speeds, the new external jets & bypass system works, you should try one, best money I have ever spent on a new Carb, & it wasn't near $800 & that's with shipping & import tax's to me here in England !! this is it on very first warm up, last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zapYrI8o4Y8

How comes.... i was told the carb is still the same housing and still does not have a real idle system, like for instance
    the Mikuni or any street carb.
    The idle adjustment is only the adjustment of the minimal gap when the slide is closed, which is a rude thing good enough for race carbs which are adjusted prior to ride.
    But to me it happened exactly what the race mech told me, a "one adjustment ride all year" did not exist (in fact not even a "one adjustment ride one week")...

I`m really curious how your experience differs that much. I have seen they now call it "Generation II" but i don`t see another real idle system.
    What happened was, it loaded spark plugs .
    Not when freshly adjusted.
    But did i ride another day - air was different and - here you go, loading plugs again, everytime.

As said any thinkable adjustment and set-up was tried, even by a pro, i even had it sent back to Paul Gast for a check up and individual rod (as addition to all other available rods and parts you can think of), just to be sure the carb itself is not faulty.
    It was not - it did would it should, deliver power when adjusted. But - just for a day.
    Not to mention ignition and eveything else was good and new and triple checked.

FBG is selling a tool to get it adjusted quicker, because adjusting is what they all did - prior to ride.
    I know they use at the Drag Strip a lot.
    They use that tool, and also the dissasemble often and clean slide (no bearings, as mentioned, you have to take care yourself).

What is new on the carb, do you have details ?
    Especially on the idle "System" ?

Get Adobe Flash player

I know their descriptions, but as long as i do not see a exploded view of their actual carb, showing a real idle-system, i don`t trust them.

What i had to do was adjusting the gap of the slide prior to ride, the idle screw just was final adjust.
    Paul Gast said for a reason "don`t use choke for more than 10 seconds" (Lectron says 20), keep engine running via throttle.
    FBG stopped selling as "street kit for HD".
    It anyways was the same as the Drag racer carb, just smaller plus adapter, gas cable , air cleaner etc..

Get Adobe Flash player

well dont fuckin buy one !!

Yes sure, don`t get sensitive about your carb, that is not the point.

I am just curious why there is such a extreme difference in experience with it. My carb was not as bought the same time you did, mine was not called Generation II.
    But from what they show on the web and what is to see, there is no major difference recognizable.
    Carb and bike was through hands from pro`s as i described, and all was checked a dozen times.
    So in the end i was left with what the mech said in the beginning " carb is ok and works, but it does not work for your street application.
    You just need to adjust, start and go ( with enough throttle ). But don`t stop and sit on stop lights, crawl around etc. ...."

I am in Europe same you, so you might eventually not know about FBG, but be assured when i tell you if FBG / Paul Gast checked the carb it was not in the wrong hands.
    The same about the pros here at my place.

As said, i am interested in details on what they changed on the carb aside black finish and name, if there is something . Or an exploded view about it, if somebody has.
    Not what they show on the web , they do not explain anything about this.
    Last edited by EASYGEAR; 05-02-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

[QUOTE=EASYGEAR;845123].

As said, i am interested in details on what they changed on the carb aside black finish and name, if there is something . Or an exploded view about it, if somebody has./QUOTE]

↑A man who thinks with his eyes open↑

Amal "improved" their carbs. Calls them "Premier".
    And tells you what they changed.

The "new" Lectron is all smoke and mirrors until proven otherwise.

So, real-world feedback and technical information would be appreciated.

They've got the name, they've got the look, and who doesn't want performance?
    But are new versions more streetable than the previous generation?
    And why/how?

Get Adobe Flash player

If carb example X happens to be in better tune for a given engine than example Y of a different carb that doesn't mean X design is better or worse, it means one was in better tune.

The original Lectron inventor developed later designs ending with the SmartCarb (lame name, engineers should stay out of marketing). He knew low end was an issue:

https://technologyelevated.com/smartcarb-vs-lectron/

Maintaining sufficient air velocity or “signal” at the rod is critically important for fuel pickup and atomization. Any loss of velocity or weak signal at the metering rod can result in loss of fuel pickup and poor atomization, translating into hesitation, bogging, or soft throttle response. The SmartCarb’s venturi profile is designed to focus airflow directly at the metering rod through the entire throttle range in order to maximize signal and promote fuel atomization. The Lectron’s venturi is not designed for this purpose and as a result is more prone to suffer from weak signal and soft throttle response, particularly down low or just off idle.

Get Adobe Flash player

look at all dem hoses and shit

Share This