CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Looking for some springer help

I have a fl springer Iím using on my breakout with a performance machine caliper. Iím concerned about the caliper being so much lower than the hard fork mount location. Most custom work shows the arm more level with the caliper closer to the forks. Any suggestions or ideas to clean this up a bit? I can adjust the arm to bring it closer. But this would leave too hard of an angle and could impact movement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	364C2DB5-E6C1-4920-88CD-4AD6E187528E.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	102736

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The anchor rod should go to the solid leg of the springer and level is much better.

The rod should pivot from the rear leg, not the front and it should be at the same angle as that made by the front and rear pivot bolts of the rockers.

For sure it’s attached to the rear leg. Everything pivots fine on the current setup. Just trying to figure out a way to lower the rod to be parallel. May need to fabricate a part.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Matte View Post
    For sure it’s attached to the rear leg.

Yep that's obvious......

Forgot to add that the brake rod, between pivot points, should be the same length measured on your rocker from the rear pivot point to the axle center.

note how long arm is on my setup

Name:	barm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	102791

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gww250 View Post
    note how long arm is on my setup

Name:	barm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	102791
    I really doubt that he could use that short of an arm with the caliper he is using or where his bracket is mounted........... If you could post some pics of your bikes??????? I understand you have some really cool bikes....

If nothing else he needs a new tab on the rear leg in the proper location before something bad happens.

Yeah shorter is a no go. Because it pulls it too tight and angles down toward the calipers. One thought was to fabricate a part that hangs lower to connect. I ran the pic by PM and they said they should be fine as is. But just figured I would check here to see if anyone's come across something like this and what fixes they found if anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

That kinda looks like a box bracket...I can see how to make a bracket, but to try to explain it...the simple part is shaped like an upsidedown 'L', that the short leg bolts to the springer leg brake anchor hole, while the long part of the 'L' is behind the lower part of the bracket, goes down, and it has a hole in it to be the new lower brake anchor point. the part in the bracket (short leg) could also go up, to provide additional strength....make any sense? wish I could draw it on here.
    EDIT: like a #7, that is the upsidedown 'L'
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-28-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: 7

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    That kinda looks like a box bracket...I can see how to make a bracket, but to try to explain it...the simple part is shaped like an upsidedown 'L', that the short leg bolts to the springer leg brake anchor hole, while the long part of the 'L' is behind the lower part of the bracket, goes down, and it has a hole in it to be the new lower brake anchor point. the part in the bracket (short leg) could also go up, to provide additional strength....make any sense? wish I could draw it on here.
    Yeah my thought was to cut something in a similar pattern that hangs downward so it hits both mounting holes but comes low enough to square up with the caliper.

Here’s a better shot of the wheel

Name:	C23A4761-2682-4E97-9EE1-2CE5F3744C4E.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	102798

Name:	50DA4155-4044-43D9-84B4-A80C1925594D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	102799
    Last edited by Matte; 04-28-2020 at 9:57 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

need a shot from the front so we can see that 'box' anchor bracket.

I'm really surprised PM bought off on that setup you're running. We've got identical calipers, mine came off a custom springer but the rockers are stock, same as you've got and that short arm works perfectly and geometry is correct for full range of rocker travel. Can't tell without a mockup but I think you're arm might bind and bend at full compresion over a pothole. To be honest it's the strangest configuration I've ever seen.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here’s a better shot of the wheel

Name:	50DA4155-4044-43D9-84B4-A80C1925594D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	102799

Can you take a straight on pic??? Not a close up......... Thanks

Here are some shots of the bracket.

Name:	IMG_3552.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	102805

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	102806

Name:	IMG_3554.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	102807

It normally faces toward the rear. But with the angle had clearance issues and I flipped it. Might play with it later today to see if there's another way to mount it to line up better. Other custom applications I've seen for this caliper are for more aftermarket springers. This could be the bigger issue at the end of the day. I have yet to see a stock harley springer using this. May need to put the stock bracket back on and go for a different caliper in general.
    Last edited by Matte; 04-29-2020 at 7:39 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

oh, in the other pics was hard to see...looked like a box. easy options now as it is just a flat bolt on thing.

That caliper is actually one of the most popular around for springers of all types. It's all we used to stock in the shop. Take a look on the web for different brackets used by other riders using the same unit to get some other ideas

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a fl springer I’m using on my breakout with a performance machine caliper. I’m concerned about the caliper being so much lower than the hard fork mount location. Most custom work shows the arm more level with the caliper closer to the forks. Any suggestions or ideas to clean this up a bit? I can adjust the arm to bring it closer. But this would leave too hard of an angle and could impact movement.

Name:	364C2DB5-E6C1-4920-88CD-4AD6E187528E.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	102736
    I have a question no one else has asked...............

Does the brake/caliper stop the bike????????

Share This