Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ACAB
    • Mar 2019

FL or FX Shovel for Springer build?

Debating a FL or FX Shovelhead for a springer front end build, upswept exhaust, king/queen seat, etc.

Opinions? I like a fatter springer front end. Sorting out what model to be on the prowl for on such a build. Looking at the '71-'77 area, definitely a cone. Kickstart a must.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The frames on all the electric start four speeds are essentially the same from '65 - '84, with the differences in detail only. The steering head geometry, swingarm location, motor and transmission mounts, etc. are the same. The details of bracket location, footboard tabs and so on are the only differences.So, pick the style bike closet to your concept of the finished bike and have at it.

Jim

Comment

• MOTher
      • Sep 2012

Fab Kevin (always like to give him credit for this) once referred to the 4 speed cone motor Shovelhead as the "Mr. Potato Head of Motorcycles." Almost all the pieces are bolt-on interchangeable. So basically, look for one that's as much like what you want to end up with as possible. If you want to run fatbob tanks, choose your size and look for a bike that has them and maybe avoid one that someone's put a Sportster tank on so you don't have to re weld the tank mounts. Stuff like that.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Remember if one has a blank kicker cover (most were removed to install kickers because stock Shovel electric starts are terrible) you can bolt on a kicker kit.

Comment

• selectedgrub
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ACAB
          Debating a FL or FX Shovelhead for a springer front end build,
          You got this a bit drunk, Your designing a bike around a springer build?

For a look Springers are for hardtail frames.

Comment

• ACAB
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by selectedgrub
            You got this a bit drunk, Your designing a bike around a springer build?

For a look Springers are for hardtail frames.
            I''d have to agree to a point, I've seen some nice swimgarm builds with springer front ends.
            Love the way a Crossbones looks, granted it's a Softail. Going for that look sort of with a Shovel.
            I'm going to look at an '83 FXSB later this week.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;