Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajmurphy
    • Sep 2012

4 over extensions vs 4 over extended tubes

Looking to get 4 over fronts for a 96 1200. what is the pros and cons of 4 over extensions vs 4 over extended tubes??

Click image for larger version

Name:	4overs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1344557
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	1344558
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Well the pro with the extensions is, I would imagine, it is cheaper then new tubes and easily reversible, the con to me would be you are adding a potential point of failure.

Comment

• bobberadam
      • Jan 2011

DO NOT RUN TUBE EXTENSIONS!!!! spend the money on the tubes and keep your stock ones if you ever feel you will want to go back. If not, you could sell them and recoup some of the money to pay for the longer tubes, you could always find stock tubes later if needed.

Comment

• james69
        • Feb 2018

I would not run slugs ever.. spend the money on the longer tubes

Comment

• ajmurphy
          • Sep 2012

I'll have to suck it up and learn how to install the longer tubes. Money wasnt the motivator; mostly not sure I can do the job myself of installing the longer tubes. anyway, i;ll go with the long tubes. thanks for the advice

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ajmurphy
            I'll have to suck it up and learn how to install the longer tubes. Money wasnt the motivator; mostly not sure I can do the job myself of installing the longer tubes. anyway, i;ll go with the long tubes. thanks for the advice
            It's very easy, Get you a factor manual.... It's explained in there.... If you get stuck ask questions here....

Best of luck....

Comment

• garystaven88
              • Mar 2014

Fantastic choice! It's not hard at all! Gives you the opportunity to get a new set of seals in there, clean everything up, and some fresh new fluid.

Lots of guys use PVC or some type of pipe to drive the new seals in. Motion Pro makes a real nice fork seal installer which is what I use. Other than that, should be no special tools required.

Use a factory manual. Step by step.

Comment

• ajmurphy
                • Sep 2012

Found this on youtube. gonna use this as a bit of a guide too. hopefully it is similar although i know the dyna is much newer than my 95

We did a small run through on installing +2 49mm fork tubes along with Patriot Suspension Genesis spring and Speed Merchant Pre Load Adjusters. You can buy t...

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Found this on youtube. gonna use this as a bit of a guide too. hopefully it is similar although i know the dyna is much newer than my 95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdHZuBUUPEI
                  That's a sales video...... Youtube sucks as far as telling how things are done buy a manual............ Unless you like trouble that is...... But' it's your choice....
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 03-15-2019, 8:29 AM.

Comment

• bobberadam
                    • Jan 2011

Good choice. I remember doing my first set of forks, i was scared shitless to fuck it up. I got the first one done and told myself "oh, that is it". It is a lot easier than you think. Just make sure you take your time and you will do just fine. Like said before, if you get stuck post good clear pics and ask questions.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Remove front wheel, remove one fork leg assembly, swap tubes, reinstall, repeat other side. Double check alignment. Inspect wheel bearings while you have the wheel off and repack with wheel bearing grease. You'll need the seals if the bearings are good, or bearings and seals and an outer race removal tool if they're bad. Cheap online. (I don't do brick and mortar stores except when my bros own them.)

A fork tube cap nut socket is worth owning. They're not expensive.

Before doing that, get a Factory Service Manual (not Haynes, Clymer, Chilton or other bird cage liner) and factory parts catalog. You can put off the catalog (whose exploded views are a vital complement to the service manual) by using online microfiche like Ronnie's.

Should you be tempted not to get a FSM, pay a friend or hobo ten bucks to curb stomp your testicles until the desire to avoid getting proper tech data subsides. We warn everyone, most listen.

Random examples, not mine, so you'll know what they look like:

Sporties are great because they are easy to work on. The only stupid question is one you don't ask.

xlforum is an outstanding Sportster resource. http://xlforum.net/forums/
                      Last edited by farmall; 03-16-2019, 9:29 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;