Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BurdetteDR
    • Jul 2016

Motorcycle jack lowering

So, I’ve got a Harley softail that is absolutely on it’s nuts, which is an awesome look with a couple of pretty sharp downsides. The biggest being the fact that my harbor freight motorcycle jack no longer fits underneath it. This sounds like a minor thing, but I’m always tinkering on my bike. What are some of the things you guys have done to get your hydraulic jack a little lower to the floor?
    Attached Files
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Man those bikes are a bitch to raise in the middle..... You need to find some or make blocks to make it sit level and keep them with your jack.... Always strap it down....

Or are you saying the bike is to low now for the lift to slide under it??? If so roll it of a couple of 2X6 then slide your jack under it........
    Last edited by Tattooo; 03-11-2019, 7:06 AM.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Make then place shallow wooden ramps under the tires then insert jack. The jack ain't gonna get thinner.

Alternate option, buy a cheap lift table like Harbor Freight.

What's the other "sharp downside", no ground clearance?

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

I know, I was thinking the same thing...... Must be a flat lander???

Comment

• kmanator
          • Nov 2017

I have a 12 inch long piece of 2x8 with a 45* on each end I roll the back tire on then I can slide the lift under.

Comment

• BurdetteDR
            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by farmall
            Make then place shallow wooden ramps under the tires then insert jack. The jack ain't gonna get thinner.

Alternate option, buy a cheap lift table like Harbor Freight.

Of course that’s the other downside. Looks awesome, scrapes primary and thunderheader. Anyways, I was hoping for something a little bit more slick than just laying 2x6 board on the floor, but if that’s what it takes then so be it.

Comment

• BurdetteDR
              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
              I know, I was thinking the same thing...... Must be a flat lander???

Come on, you’ve never done something for the sole purpose of it looking cool at the expense of performance? They aren’t all rip snorting badass canyon carvers.

Comment

• SamHain
                • Apr 2024

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE2B0313-EB2C-497D-9A33-A50847588222.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1308972
                I put a platform on a free scissor jack. Extra step, little pain but that comes with the territory. Have a handful of the ol whatever pipe is laying around lifts as well.

Far as canyons, never felt better than dragging my ol lowrider around em and lift wouldn’t fit under that.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BurdetteDR
                  Of course that’s the other downside. Looks awesome, scrapes primary and thunderheader. Anyways, I was hoping for something a little bit more slick than just laying 2x6 board on the floor, but if that’s what it takes then so be it.
                  You can build whatever you want, for example fabbing steel ramps instead. If you want slick, fab slick. Steel ramps can use channel or angle to keep the tires on the ramps. You can build a zero "jack projection" setup by making a wood-framed box with a recess for the jack onto which you roll the motorcycle. Place a suitably thick, removable cover over the jack, roll bike into place, remove cover, lift motorcycle.

A HF lift table is a lot cheaper than the header you plan on grinding off in return for appearance when parked. It lifts higher than those little jacks and is much more comfortable to work with. It there a reason you don't want the most effective solution?

BTW variable height Softail suspensions exist so you could have low parked height and cornering clearance while riding. The automobile low rider world has some very interesting components if you want to roll your own.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Come on, you’ve never done something for the sole purpose of it looking cool at the expense of performance? They aren’t all rip snorting badass canyon carvers.
                    Not really, I've always liked a better riding bike over looks....... But then again why not build a bike that has both what I've always said????
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SamHain
                      Far as canyons, never felt better than dragging my ol lowrider around em and lift wouldn’t fit under that.

Man you must have really lowered your Lowrider... I bet mines at least 8" off the floor.... Now mines stock as it came from the factory...

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Come on, you’ve never done something for the sole purpose of it looking cool at the expense of performance?
                        Can you post a couple pics of your bike???

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

A HF lift table is a lot cheaper than the header you plan on grinding off in return for appearance when parked. It lifts higher than those little jacks and is much more comfortable to work with. It there a reason you don't want the most effective solution?

Man you got that right....... Nothing better than working off of a table,,,,, If you have the room for one that is.... LOL

Comment

• BurdetteDR
                            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            Can you post a couple pics of your bike???
                            Oh man, you really don’t want to see it all that bad, I assure you. I think it harbors some tetanus in those bones Click image for larger version

Name:	A9880880-5181-4E78-B74C-6AD45AFC4DBE.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1308985Click image for larger version

Name:	B0B39826-0F54-4906-B7AF-13D045D7A030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1308986

It’s as low as I would go without adjustable suspension as farmall suggested. It’s honestly pretty close to being able to slide under there. I suppose I’ll use boards until I can get my hands on a table. I recall seeing them on the local craigslist from time to time, just thought they were a bit big.

ETA: the photo of it on the lift is during the front end swap. It came off the lift pretty easy, but once I rode it a few times after that’s, it settled a fair bit.
                            Last edited by BurdetteDR; 03-11-2019, 1:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

I've seen few (except commercial grade Handy brand) used tables that were cheap enough to bother with compared to new Harbor Freight.

I personally use two Pitbull jacks (bought used) which are taller and much more stable than the narrow HF jacks but I've not measured them lowered to see if they're shorter than HF and at the moment they are occupied. I look for used Pitbull and J&S jacks but there aren't a lot of them. None of my bikes are low enough to need a table and the Pitbulls are easy to move with a bike in the air.

If you use a pantograph jack (I love and collect them for many tasks) you can weld a socket on the end of the screw if it doesn't have a nut there already and run them up and down with an impact gun or drill. They are light and easy to carry vs. pushing a floor jack for minor car or truck maintenance.
                              Last edited by farmall; 03-11-2019, 6:01 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;