Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firstripholdmybeer
    • Apr 2018

Mid Star Rebuild Kits

I've looked around a bunch and have only found the V-Twin #44-0410 Kit for rebuilding my Mid Star Hub. wondering if anyone can recommend these as I've read that the spacer can be too long for some hubs? Any other kits out there that you know of to be better?

cheers
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by firstripholdmybeer
    I've looked around a bunch and have only found the V-Twin #44-0410 Kit for rebuilding my Mid Star Hub. wondering if anyone can recommend these as I've read that the spacer can be too long for some hubs? Any other kits out there that you know of to be better?

cheers
    What's wrong with your bearings? They can be tricky to rebuild is the reason I'm asking...........

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
      • Apr 2018

I'm building the rear wheel, starting with an empty Mid Star. what's the tricky part? I've noticed it's a lot more difficult to find mid star parts than Star Hub. you would think the rebuild kit would be pretty simple, but I've read different in some places.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Midstar hubs are dead simple. You will need a tool to loosen and tighten the nut, which is left hand thread I think. I seem to remember the original bearings were New Departure, and at the time were very expensive. But, they will last for fifty years or so, as has been proven. One bearing and one seal in the hub, one or two bearings in the brake drum, front or rear, one spacer, a seal spacer and a nut.
        Your best bet is to get another hub that is complete, rather than aftermarket "kits".

Jim

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
          • Apr 2010

Try Eastern

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
            Midstar hubs are dead simple. You will need a tool to loosen and tighten the nut, which is left hand thread I think. I seem to remember the original bearings were New Departure, and at the time were very expensive. But, they will last for fifty years or so, as has been proven. One bearing and one seal in the hub, one or two bearings in the brake drum, front or rear, one spacer, a seal spacer and a nut.
            Your best bet is to get another hub that is complete, rather than aftermarket "kits".

Jim
            LOL You say they are simple then you say find another hub???? LOL
            All I was meaning is you have to have the right parts and tools to rebuild them correctly... I figured he had neither since he's new..... I hate aftermarket parts as many on here know.....

Also yes they last forever that's why I asked what was wrong with his....

Since we don't have pics we have to ask questions.....

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
              LOL You say they are simple then you say find another hub???? LOL
              All I was meaning is you have to have the right parts and tools to rebuild them correctly... I figured he had neither since he's new..... I hate aftermarket parts as many on here know.....

Also yes they last forever that's why I asked what was wrong with his....

Since we don't have pics we have to ask questions.....
              He says he's starting with an empty hub. I won't ask why to that, I just know that is THE hardest way to go about it. That, and the fact that a lot of the aftermarket parts suck, is why I suggested another hub. He can rob it and build his.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

He says he's starting with an empty hub.

Jim
                LOL Not in his first post did he say that it was empty.... Hence my first post..... We agree with each other I think.... LOL

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                  LOL Not in his first post did he say that it was empty.... Hence my first post..... We agree with each other I think.... LOL
                  We're on the same page.

Jim

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                    • Apr 2018

thanks for the feedback guys. good info on the bearing manufacturer and Eastern mc.

I ended up with a empty hub because that's what I could find and I bought it thinking that it would be as simple as finding a good rebuild kit. I was having a hard time finding anything complete. Now I'm realizing maybe I should have gone Star Hub from the get go lol.

Now that I have the respective Juice brake complete with axle, axle nut, and spacers I figure I may as well make it work since the money is spent.

I'll see if I can piece some things together.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

I understand you wanting to use what you have to save money that makes since.......... Eastern is a good place or find OEM Harley but that's doubtful....

Best of luck.........

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                        • Apr 2018

I went ahead and ordered the v-twin kit with high hopes. Thanks a bunch Tattooo

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                          • Apr 2018

Alright, Just what I was worried about. The spacer’s ID (.67”) is the same as the stock axle for the hub and brake.

A long shot, but anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by firstripholdmybeer
                            Alright, Just what I was worried about. The spacer’s ID (.67”) is the same as the stock axle for the hub and brake.

A long shot, but anyone have any suggestions?
                            The spacer should be a slip fit on the axle. Are you saying yours is too tight?

Jim

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                              • Apr 2018

The spacer should be a slip fit on the axle. Are you saying yours is too tight?

Jim
                              yes it only fits over the threads

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	1308924
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1308925