What are people doing for clutch controls?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chile
    • Feb 2010

What are people doing for clutch controls?

I keep looking around for a new clutch perch assembly and they are either fucking out of control expensive or cheap as fuck! (Price and quality) Any directions out there? Trying clean shit up on this old shovel.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Chile
    I keep looking around for a new clutch perch assembly and they are either fucking out of control expensive or cheap as fuck! (Price and quality) Any directions out there? Trying clean shit up on this old shovel.
    Why not use a late 50s style Harley perch??????? It don't get no cheaper or simpler......

Comment

• Hubbard
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo
      Why not use a late 50s style Harley perch??????? It don't get no cheaper or simpler......
      school "em too, school "em

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hubbard
        school "em too, school "em
        LOL Hell I try....... LOL

Comment

• Chile
          • Feb 2010

Sounds good to me. Most of the shit I can afford is garbage. I think I found what I'm looking for on J&P website. I was just seeing others suggestions. I appreciate the direction.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Sounds good to me. Most of the shit I can afford is garbage. I think I found what I'm looking for on J&P website. I was just seeing others suggestions. I appreciate the direction.
            Just be sure and don't buy cheap China junk.....

Comment

• Chile
              • Feb 2010

Fuck... That's hard than it sounds these days. Lol. But yeah... I try not to get cheaply made shit.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Fuck... That's hard than it sounds these days. Lol. But yeah... I try not to get cheaply made shit.
                If you like the way the old Harley ones look why not buy a vintage OEM Harley lever??

Comment

• MOTher
                  • Sep 2012

I like the look of the late '50's (through '65 actually) clutch perch, but there is a shortcoming. The stock Shovelhead clutch cable doesn't fit into it. the '50's cables were smaller where they went into the perch. No sweat, though. Clamp it in a drill press vice and bore it out with a 3/8" end mill and the Shovel cable will fit. You'll also have to open the slot for the inner cable a little, with a file. Also, if you use the handlebar clamp part from a '66-'72 Shovel (or Sportster) and sand it a little narrower so it matches, it looks a lot cleaner. Here, I'll show you.

Left to right Stock Panhead clutch lever, stock Panhead perch, with the pivot pin below it, center is a modified reproduction perch, bored for the Shovelhead cable and using the early Shovelhead handlebar clamp. It still needs nicer screws, chrome allens probably. Gary Bang aftermarket ball end replacement clutch/brake lever, and on the right, the modified brake lever I made from the other Gary Bang one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hand3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	1308653

And here they are, assembled. These are for my '74 Shovelhead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hand4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	1308654

The old Barnett clutch and brake levers are pretty clean too, and you can do the same handlebar clamp trick to them as well. I should mention that Barnett doesn't sell them anymore, but there should be some available on Ebay or put a WTB ad here and I might sell you one of mine. The Gary Bang levers seen above are gonna be a little harder to find, but not impossible.
                  Last edited by MOTher; 02-27-2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• nuklhd
                    • Sep 2013

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;