CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Rear brake caliper bracket

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. Iím going to draw up and cut out a rear brake bracket on a CNC plasma, but there are some minor engineering questions that come to mind. Iíve scribbled on this photo how the bracket will lay out (generally speaking). The red indicates the caliper side, while the green line indicates how I want the brake stay bracket to come off. With this arrangement, the brake stay will follow the line of the swingarm. Does this give too much mechanical advantage to the calipers in relation to the brake stay? Any input is appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B24F493-7569-4D3E-8836-E6A0C255CA0B.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	91467

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would make the end of the bracket longer, where the brake stay arm bolts to.
    Your green arrow looks a little short to me. or make sure you have a real beefy
    brake stay arm with a nice heavy bolt, I never go below 3/8" thread when dealing
    with braking forces, And never stainless, unless it is a high strength alloy, rolled
    threads are also stronger than cut threads (on bolts).

I have never broken a brake supporting bolt before, But I did have one vibrate
    loose once & found out when I applied the brakes, & almost ate shit!

Well, here’s my beer box mock-up for the bracket. This drops the brake stay 90 degrees from the axle adjustment slot. I figured if the brake stay rod and the axle slot are parallel, the adjustment range of the rod won’t need to be as long as it would need to be if it was on an angle.

Before anyone asks, I reached out to fab Kevin before I drew these up to make sure he was cool with a rip off. He’s a cool guy who was appreciative that I asked the question before I did it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72038573-6CD2-430C-AF8C-6231D0C8AE3F.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	91511

Name:	B515EC1C-094E-4302-AAC3-1AD608BA91F4.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	91512

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurdetteDR View Post
    Well, here’s my beer box mock-up for the bracket. This drops the brake stay 90 degrees from the axle adjustment slot. I figured if the brake stay rod and the axle slot are parallel, the adjustment range of the rod won’t need to be as long as it would need to be if it was on an angle.

Before anyone asks, I reached out to fab Kevin before I drew these up to make sure he was cool with a rip off. He’s a cool guy who was appreciative that I asked the question before I did it.
    Looks good. And good on you for getting clearance before making it... Most guys are good with DIY'ers making a one-off for themselves, but going to them for permission shows class.

Get Adobe Flash player

how thick is the bracket material going to be? 1/4" steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    how thick is the bracket material going to be? 1/4" steel?
    1/4” mild steel

Well, hereís how it wound up. Iím pretty satisfied.

Name:	A0B71BDA-08B1-41B9-AFDF-50D43D754DA4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	91952

Having a hard time finding braze on banjo fittings for the connector line from caliper to caliper. Thought it would look nicer if it were in a hard line.

lewisgledhill

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. Iím going to draw up and cut out a rear brake bracket on a CNC plasma, but there are some minor engineering questions that come to mind. Iíve scribbled on this photo how the bracket will lay out (generally speaking). The red indicates the caliper side, while the green line indicates how I want the brake stay bracket to come off. With this arrangement, the brake stay will follow the line of the swingarm. Does this give too much mechanical advantage to the calipers in relation to the brake stay? Any input is appreciated.
    I wanted to say that this wheel is huge. I'm just a beginner in this field, so I can't suggest how to cut this properly. However, hope you can manage this. You're doing great work!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lewisgledhill View Post
    I wanted to say that this wheel is huge. I'm just a beginner in this field, so I can't suggest how to cut this properly. However, hope you can manage this. You're doing great work!
    The wheel is huge? That's just a normal size 16" Harley wheel... Glad you joined CC there is a lot of great info on here....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurdetteDR View Post
    Well, hereís how it wound up. Iím pretty satisfied.

Name:	A0B71BDA-08B1-41B9-AFDF-50D43D754DA4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	91952

Having a hard time finding braze on banjo fittings for the connector line from caliper to caliper. Thought it would look nicer if it were in a hard line.
    Get a flare tool, use regular 1/8 NPT brake fittings, and make your own hardlines. Maybe you can find a 10mm banjo to 1/8npt adapter, then flare your line and youíre good.

Piggybacking off your thread here: any good source for custom braided brake line?

Share This