Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brumble
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Hubbard
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]91441[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91442[/ATTACH] I'm sure one of you gearheads know what this is. I have had it for 25 years and do not remember where I got it. Maybe a Dodge truck???
    I'm curious to know what's underneath that cover attached to the tach drive.

Is it gear driven with weights and springs, similar to a mechanical advance set up in a distributor?

Mebbe Hubbard could open it up and post up a pic of it.

It's a cool piece, no doubt!

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Murphy exist so you could contact them with the pics.

Many ancient Dodge engines were used in stationary and specialty vehicle applications. Slant sixes were rightly popular. Aircraft tugs used them since the flathead Dodge sixes but I never saw one with that particular tach and the governors (at least the ones we deactivated on deployments...) tended to be Hoof vacuum style.

Hobart used some Dodge gassers in engine-driven welders.

Comment

• Hubbard
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by brumble
        I'm curious to know what's underneath that cover attached to the tach drive.

Is it gear driven with weights and springs, similar to a mechanical advance set up in a distributor?

Mebbe Hubbard could open it up and post up a pic of it.

It's a cool piece, no doubt!
        After your work I can't deny you that Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1308650 or at least if the pic came thru

Comment

• brumble
          • Apr 2024

Well, that's different.

It's gotta be a rev limiter of some sort.

Thanks for opening that thing up!

Oh, one other thing.

In the second pic, if you look closely, you'll see a stamp that starts with 'S.W.'

I think Stewart Warner made that tach.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2019, 6:11 PM.

Comment

• Hubbard
            • Dec 2010

I contacted them with all the info. Only reply was "thats an old one!" Tried speedo service and he gave up. You proly got it with the dodge. Now if I could remember where I got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

• brumble
              • Apr 2024

I contacted them with all the info. Only reply was "thats an old one!" Tried speedo service and he gave up. You proly got it with the dodge. Now if I could remember where I got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Go to https://www.allpar.com/forums/forums...-vehicles.202/

You'll have to register to post, tho.

Maybe, just maybe, someone could offer a little more insight on that tach.

Comment

• DustyDave
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

If it really came out of a truck I wonder if the sender was for a tachchart instead of a murphy switch?
                Dusty
                Driving that train, high on cocaine
                Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

If you spin the mechanism with a piece of cable or suitably modified rod you could note any change in resistance between the cutoff cable end and ground.

A tachograph (I had to look that one up since I'm not a trucker) could make sense as that wire goes to ground through the windings in the cap. The hot end would connect to a device positioned between supply power and the gearbox.

The tach can be separated from the gearbox if some use for it can be found.

This might be the correct cable. Note it's for larger Dodge truck models. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachograph-...~DP:rk:23:pf:0

Dodge LCF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_LCF_series

Still looking for dashboard shots of the big trucks since the pickups wouldn't use a tachograph.

Comment

• DustyDave
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by farmall
                    If you spin the mechanism with a piece of cable or suitably modified rod you could note any change in resistance between the cutoff cable end and ground.

A tachograph (I had to look that one up since I'm not a trucker) could make sense as that wire goes to ground through the windings in the cap. The hot end would connect to a device positioned between supply power and the gearbox.

This might be the correct cable. Note it's for larger Dodge truck models. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachograph-...~DP:rk:23:pf:0

Still looking for dashboard shots of the big trucks since the pickups wouldn't use a tachograph.
                    Even I'm a little young to have seen many tachographs but the few I remember were beneath the seat or outside the cab on the back. and usually locked before the driver left.
                    Dusty
                    Driving that train, high on cocaine
                    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

If you had one of these machines you could see if it works.....

It's not a complete pic of it but you get the gist...... It does speedos and tachs........
                      Attached Files

Comment

• brumble
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by farmall

I spent some time looking up the tachograph angle yesterday.

From what I understand, most tachographs replaced the speedometer when used in heavy duty trucks or buses. The vehicle's speedo cable was disconnected from the factory speedo and attached to the tachograph. Tachographs were usually attached to the dash in some fashion, so the driver could monitor road speed. I'm not sure if a cable splitter was available to drive both the regular speedo and the tachograph.

However, there were tachographs that were used to monitor engine speed instead of road speed. These units are much more rare. From what I found, there were two max rpm tachographs - 2400 rpm and 3600 rpm, or within a couple hundred rpm of those numbers.

Tachographs were made by Sangamo Electric, Springfield, IL and were distributed by Wagner Electric out of St. Louis, MO.

More than several examples of Sangamo Tachographs can be found for sale on ebay.

An interwebs search of Sangamo-Wagner Tachographs produced the most info.

Comment

• Hubbard
                          • Dec 2010

I wanted to find out what this thing fit so I could list it on ebay so someone that might be huntin one could give it a good home. But bein as how there are probably only 3 people that know and 2 of those are dead, lol, I might just put it back on the pile.

Comment

• brumble
                            • Apr 2024

I wanted to find out what this thing fit so I could list it on ebay so someone that might be huntin one could give it a good home. But bein as how there are probably only 3 people that know and 2 of those are dead, lol, I might just put it back on the pile.
                            Well, in your second pic it looks like that whole fancy adapter thing unscrews from the main tach.

Offer it up on ebay. Some rat-rod builder may be interested in it, as long as he has a mechanical tach drive distributor available......

Comment

• Hubbard
                              • Dec 2010

Okay kids, would you fellas be up for a frankenstein motor math quiz? Be forewarned this might get deep.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;