Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmann8686
    • Sep 2012

1980 XS650 build

Well thought I would share my build. started a build thread on the 650 forums but those guys over there seem to get upset when you cut up a bike even when you get it cut up in the first place. So got this bike 2-1\2 years ago. A motor and frame and some wheels and a few boxes of misc parts. was just going to be a low budget build but it didn't go as planned and now it is a higher budget build. and has taken longer than the 2 years I wanted to build it in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	1344500

I took the motor out and cut the frame more to add a visual impact brat kit. Got a gas tank and then it kind of sat still for some time while I saved up some money to get some motor work done

Name:	IMG_6902.jpg
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	1344501

I ended up getting some funds and was able to send the motor off to Gary at Hoos Racing and got the motor bored out to 700 got some JE pistons to go with it Shell one cam and some RD springs to go with the cam. ended up replacing everything in the motor that I could do with out splitting the cases. Lapped the valves. While I was busy lapping valves I sent the rocker box out and had it cleaned up and had the elephant foot tappets by Iron Heart Cycles. got it all back and got the motor put back together. the whole process from tear down to complete motor was almost 8 months.

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1344502

After getting the motor back together I was able to get it back into the frame and started working on bars and fenders and what not. Also installed a new ignition system. Went with the Power Dynamo ignition on Garys recommendations. Got it wired up enough to fire it up for the first time. had the bike for 2 years at this point and had never heard it run. In fact I had never heard a xs650 before at all. I didn't have the carbs set correctly. Im running the VM34's on this and the slides where stuck up a bit due to a hung up throttle cable and wrong adjustments on the slides and when I got it kicked over she ran WFO and scared the shit out of me. But after I got those carbs fixed she ran much better. this is how she sits right now

Name:	IMG_5376.jpg
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	1344503

I'm waiting on some forward controls and then some front brake things. Then I get to start doing the little stuff like blinkers and all the wiring. Sorry for the long post.
  • wpgxs650brat
    • Jun 2018

Yes, the guys on xs650 dot com, are a bit "sensitive" when it comes to anything other than a resto! Keep it up man!

Comment

• Jmann8686
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wpgxs650brat
      Yes, the guys on xs650 dot com, are a bit "sensitive" when it comes to anything other than a resto! Keep it up man!
      Thanks. Your @vet_on_2_wheels right.

Comment

• kmanator
        • Nov 2017

Lookin good! I'm diggin the stance.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;