Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanbcs
    • Jan 2019

1985 FXST Custom help needed...

Hello Guyz & galz... I 'm in need of some advice or ideas on a custom chopper that I'm building... I purchase a custom built Paucho Swedish style frame... a softail version with a 250 fat & wheel & tire in the swing arm... I'm using a 1985 EVO and trans. for the heart of the build...My head scratcher is this...My tranny is a electric starter with the 4 speed kicker...and I have the tranny wheel/tire sprocket configured in the frame...I had to add a 1/4" sprocket spacer to have the chain clear the tire to the tranny drive sprocket... I see, that I had to move the trans drive sprocket out 1" to align the chain to the rear wheel sprocket... My problem is: that, I need the inner primary to be able to bolt up to the tranny, because the solenoid is bolted to the top of the inner primary to engage the drive gear on the clutch starter drive ring...so...I've been looking for an
    off set inner primary to accommodate the off set 1" tranny drive gear and clutch assembly for this tranny set up...So...
    Has anyone have any ideas as to how I can maybe modify or purchase an off set inner primary to get this to marry up to each other...I'm running a dry clutch so the lubrication won't be an issue with a primary belt drive... Any thoughts or input would be
    GREATLY appreciated at this point...Thanks much... Alan... in Bakersfield, Ca.
  • Revelator
    • Aug 2009

You may have to switch to an open drive set up.
    have you checked the pulley alignment on both pulleys?

Comment

• alanbcs
      • Jan 2019

Well, I'm starting at the back wheel/tire assembly and moving forward to the motor...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

What SPECIFIC setup did Paughco say that frame was designed to work with? (If not sure, phone them.)

Easiest route since stock starters of that last year are awful on a good day would be go kick only with an open belt.

A more expensive option would be an open belt kit with e-start known to clear wide tires. I forget who makes the kit but at least one for Shovelhead cowpie transmissions uses the later, excellent Denso starter. I've not checked one for wide tire clearance since they were on customer bikes.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
          • Jul 2010

They used to make varying thicknesses of primary offset spacers that fit between the engine and the inner primary to accomodate offset transmissions used with wide tire bikes. I've used them several times on customer's bikes, but it's been a good several years since I've needed one so I'm not sure who may still stock them. I'd start with Drag Specialties or maybe Taiwan Tedd. Not a hard problem to solve if you can acquire the spacer. Good luck.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
            • Jul 2010

Boom, here ya go.
            Drag Specialties is the world’s largest distributor of aftermarket accessories in the powersports industry.

Comment

• Revelator
              • Aug 2009

Arlen Ness used to make an offset kit that included an aluminum
              spacer for the inner primary, & a splined shaft extention for moving the motor
              sprocket outward, But I think it was for up to 200mm wide applications, but You may
              check out Arlen Ness, or maybe check with Primo, I think they are still in business, they
              just downsized & moved to Goleta, CA.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;