Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

Need wiring diagram for an alternator shovel

Hey just got all of the mechanical stuff sorted for my shovelhead chopper build and I need to begin gathering electrical components in preparation for wiring. Anyone have a diagram. It’s an electric start. The only lights I’ll be running are the headlight and the brake/running light it’s a combo.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Cimino289
    Hey just got all of the mechanical stuff sorted for my shovelhead chopper build and I need to begin gathering electrical components in preparation for wiring. Anyone have a diagram. It’s an electric start. The only lights I’ll be running are the headlight and the brake/running light it’s a combo.
    What year and kind of bike???

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Alt shovel with stock four speed starter setup or what?
      Which ignition?

Start by googling simple chopper wiring diagram.

Posts pics! They help is help you

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

There are many good wiring threads. I suggest reading them and building yourself a basic kit including strippers, terminal crimpers and supplies.

Comment

• Cimino289
          • Sep 2018

Will do. for those that were wondering I have a 1971 shovelhead motor in a hardtailed 1980 frame with a four speed ratchet top trans. The only electrical components I have are the headlight a spyke starter that came with the primary and the brake light set up.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

What kind of primary? Some aftermarket belt drive primaries use later style starters. Spyke more than one style starter.

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

We need to know what specific setup you have so pics help us help you.

Points or electronic ignition?

I recommend using circuit breakers instead of fuses. Blade style fuse style breakers in inline holders are slim and have no exposed posts like traditional Harley breakers. I use both as appropriate.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Cimino289
              Will do. for those that were wondering I have a 1971 shovelhead motor in a hardtailed 1980 frame with a four speed ratchet top trans. The only electrical components I have are the headlight a spyke starter that came with the primary and the brake light set up.
              You just need minimal wiring that's damn easy.....

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                • Apr 2010

Goggle easy rider tips, volumne 1-3, done deal

Comment

• Panheadman48
                  • Dec 2018

E mail me your # and I'll send you a simple diagram I've used for 25 years and you can post / share it . I can not get it to load up myself. Too old school I guess. [email protected].

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Panheadman48
                    E mail me your # and I'll send you a simple diagram I've used for 25 years and you can post / share it . I can not get it to load up myself.
                    From panheadman48:

Click image for larger version

Name:	harley wiring, panheadman48,33.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1308420
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• pan620
                      • Feb 2013

it would be easier if you would do this for him, it is hard to find it on the net, NOT! Everyone wants someone to do the leg work for them, i remember when there was no internet and we still got it done! Sorry.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by pan620
                        it would be easier if you would do this for him, it is hard to find it on the net, NOT! Everyone wants someone to do the leg work for them, i remember when there was no internet and we still got it done! Sorry.
                        Ya, I don't think this has ever been discussed here before...
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by pan620
                          Yep, No one want's to click on search that's way to hard...... I'm not someone's search engine.....
                          Last edited by Tattooo; 02-17-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;