Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaneSpencer
    • Feb 2018

Frisco/60's Style EVO

Whatsup fellas. This is my first bike build. Going for a skinny early 60's style, kind of a frisco vibe but with a few twists. Ill be throwing in some photography shots along the way as well. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy......

Started off with a Paughco wishbone rigid, stock specs 30° rake

Ordered up a springer from W&W over in Germany. The quality of this thing is pretty incredible, super stoked on it

Wanted to run a 21/16 combo. Front rim is a 21x1.60 dunlop that i laced up with a wargasser spool and buchanon spokes. Rear is a basic 16x3 disc wheel. Avons front and rear as well

r

Couple super crude mockups in my bedroom, tank is an Axed tank from lowbrow, rear fender is a Stingray also from lowbrow

Snagged a 1340 Evo for a solid price, and a ratchet top on craigslist to back it up

Last edited by ShaneSpencer; 03-19-2019, 10:54 PM.
  • ShaneSpencer
    • Feb 2018

Thats how it sat in my bedroom for about 9 months, just a stack of parts. So about 3 weeks ago i whipped up a rolling table and bolted on a wheel vise so i could start getting this thing together. The casters are super nice on the table, I have my 54 Ford in my shop still so space is tight

Shots of the first mockup....

First thing i wanted to do was bars... I snagged a Crosnest top clamp from Caleb at Crocustoms and a set of 12" narrowglide apes from Arie Vee. i wanted the skinniest apes i could find, these fit the bill

I ended up cutting slugs to slide down in the top clamp, welding those to the bars, then cupping the top clamp so the bars would slide down in flush. After that i plug welded the slugs through the clamp sides and welded where the clamp pedestals met the bottom of the bars as well. Super strong

As happy as i was about the apes being narrow, the grip pullbacks were still fairly wide so i trimmed 3" off each side to bring the grips in tighter towards the center of the bike. Grips are Cole Fosters signatures, Brass collars are from prism

Next up was mounting the headlight. Found a tiny ribbed glass 3 incher in a parts swapping page online. to start fabbing the mount, i used 2 rounded blind bungs in the factory springer holes....

Cut some spare round stock and welded in an allen key bung for the center pedestal on the bracket...

Then welded another rounded bung to the back of the light to bolt to the bracket...

Diggin the look so far..

Also as you can tell in the last pic, im running a mag on this thing. Morris M5 to be exact. Not running a battery, and im hoping this M5 mag makes kicking as easy as they say it does. The cast finned rocker covers are emd also

Couple other things i discovered when mocking the mag up.... The Evo already has adjustable pushrods and an Andrews EV27 cam in it. i was pretty pumped to see this, not that itll make a huge difference, but its two mods i probably wouldve done anyway. Engine looks clean inside so far, top end too
    Last edited by ShaneSpencer; 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• ShaneSpencer
      • Feb 2018

Im gonna go the softail rear caliper route with an 11.5" disc. Found a caliper on fleabay for cheap. I do have a question about the tooth count on the sprockets though. The ratchet top has a 22 tooth sprocket on it currently, ive read some shovel guys are running 22/49 sprocket combos with the vintage style tire (26.5") which supposedly is the equivalent to a 23/48 sprocket combo on a shorter modern tire. Should i stick with the 22 on the trans or kick it up a tooth or two? what do you guys recommend with the EVO? maybe a 22/50 or 22/51 combo ?

Comment

• vonhelmet
        • May 2010

Nice! I like EVO chops, classic looks with modern reliability.

Comment

• kmanator
          • Nov 2017

Looks great so far..One concern is if you have the throttle installed yet? The curve of the bars might hinder the installation?

Comment

• SamHain
            • Apr 2024

Looks cool

Comment

• ShaneSpencer
              • Feb 2018

Thanks guys. Theres a couple short internal throttles that i think will work. Ill figure something out when the time comes

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                • Jan 2015

Wow! Loving it so far. Keep it up. I'll be tuning in.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Damn nice and clean looking.............

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

Bike looks sweet and I enjoyed your photography as well.

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

If the transmission came with a 22T sprocket, there's a chance it's an FL transmission, in which case it would have the 3.0:1 first gear set. If that proves to be the case, do yourself a favor and fit an Andrews 2.60:1 or FX 2.44:1 first gear set. You will be so glad you did!
                      Final drive ratio will be affected by primary drive ratio, of course. That said, your light bike with one of the above first gear sets, and the EV27 equipped evo motor, will be nice at 23/46 or 24/48, or maybe 24/46. Any of those choices will give it some legs.

Jim

Comment

• ShaneSpencer
                        • Feb 2018

Any way to tell from case numbers or anything if its an fl trans ?

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ShaneSpencer
                          Any way to tell from case numbers or anything if its an fl trans ?
                          Put it in first gear and count the input and output revolutions, like you would an unknown differential on a car. For instance, ten output revolutions and thirty input revolutions would mean you have the 3.0:1 FL first gear set.

Jim

Comment

• SamHain
                            • Apr 2024

FL will shift opposite of FX, at least the top or drum. FL will shift 1up4down with mid linkage.

Comment

• Skjoll
                              • Oct 2018

Love the overall stance of the bike... you do nice work.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;