Shops around buffalo,ny that tune up 1970’s shoveheads? Anyone knows????

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 716shovelhead
    • Nov 2018

Shops around buffalo,ny that tune up 1970’s shoveheads? Anyone knows????

Looking for shop old school shops that tune up old 1970 shovelheads around buffalo,ny?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Why not do it yourself???? It's very easy....

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

You may not want to hear this but to deal with a Shovel you really need to learn that sort of thing yourself. The benefits are far more than saving on paying for periodic maintenance and include independence. A shop won't be with you on the road.

Get or download an FSM and parts book, study and ask questions. What one man can do, another can do. No one fell out of a pussy with a wrench in their hand.

Basic hand tools and a compression tester (every old bike owner needs one) are sufficient to get started. You're in the right place to learn!

Starting a "tuneup thread for noobs" could be a good idea since I don't think there is one. Begin by describing PRECISELY why you think it needs work and the hive mind will help with how to diagnose anything.

The first thing to do is a compression test. Every motorcycle I work on gets one because what is not measured is not known and "tuneups" (despite customer desire that life be different!) don't fix internal issues.
      Last edited by farmall; 02-10-2019, 7:02 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Besides a basic set of hand tools you need a few tools for the job, as mentioned a compression tester, feeler gauge ( flat and round is nice to have ), continuity tester (light or multimeter both work), and if you have auto advance a timing light. Finally either the manual / link to manual / YouTube tune up video. ( Here is a Knuckle tune up video not much different then your Shovel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Fg...el=PacificMike)

Basic tune up is an hour or so on a Saturday morning leading up to a good weekend of riding, you really should know how.

Comment

• 10scDust
          • Jan 2018

Oh the days!
          I remember putting in new points and condenser, to still having misfires, to find a new condenser was bad.
          So happy when electronic ignition replacement came around, they last so very long.

If your shovel has points in it, might be the first swap out I would do!

Comment

• tzienlee
            • Apr 2024

You couldn't do any better than to go to ''STILL KICKING CYCLES'' In buffalo,.... shovelhead experts,.... they built the reversed shovel that's been doing the rounds,..... very wised up people where vintage Harleys are concerned...…..

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

tzienlee - that looks like a good possibility for this young fella but Im curious how you know of these folks over in England?

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by hillcat
                tzienlee - that looks like a good possibility for this young fella but Im curious how you know of these folks over in England?
                I'm originally from New Jersey & a Sister lives up near Buffalo, when building a Shovel a few years ago Still kicking cycles were recommended to me by one of her friends who knows them personally,for technical advice which I got from Ken,
                it helped me a lot on the build and when I saw what they did to reverse everything on the backwards shovel it near blew my mind,
                every now & then you come across people at the cutting edge of your sport, hobby or interests whos word you trust despitenever having had a face to face with them,.....

Comment

• hillcat
                  • Mar 2015

I see.
                  Yeah, that reverse shovel is a piece of mechanical art. It reminded me of Indian Larry's pan/knuck somehow.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 10scDust
                    Oh the days!
                    I remember putting in new points and condenser, to still having misfires, to find a new condenser was bad.
                    So happy when electronic ignition replacement came around, they last so very long.

If your shovel has points in it, might be the first swap out I would do!
                    Now a days elect ignitions are crap, points are much better plus you can fix your bike on the side of the road... With elect ignition your screwed.....

Comment

• 10scDust
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      Now a days elect ignitions are crap, points are much better plus you can fix your bike on the side of the road... With elect ignition your screwed.....
                      Interesting, of my own experience, I do not remember ever having electronic ignition giving me a fit.
                      Now it's been over thirty years, but I remember the 'out of the blue' fits those points in my '75 Shov used to do me.
                      But you are right, if one was to go bad, the points condenser can be taken care of on the side of the road more easily.

BTW
                      Do you have a book of matches I can borrow?
                      BTDT!

Comment

• horshak
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by 10scDust
                        Interesting, of my own experience, I do not remember ever having electronic ignition giving me a fit.
                        Now it's been over thirty years, but I remember the 'out of the blue' fits those points in my '75 Shov used to do me.
                        But you are right, if one was to go bad, the points condenser can be taken care of on the side of the road more easily.

BTW
                        Do you have a book of matches I can borrow?
                        BTDT!
                        2005 East nowhere Arkansas a Crane Hi 4 would quit firing on the back cylinder. Pull over scratch your head check every connection then everything would be ok (till later). 2009 back in St Louis Running a Dyna 2000I it was like you ran outta gas. Pull over hit the key and it would start right up. This went on for a while and by this time I was carrying all kinda of tools. One day it just quit but I had tools. Ignition module not putting out spark. Sat on the side of the road for about 1 hour. Engine cooled it fired up rode home went out and bought another Dyna "KNOCK ON WOOD" no problems since. At the Indy shop I work at in St Louis we install a lot of points /condensor systems, just by quality points and condensor like Blue Streak brand and a quality advance system it will be good for years. IMO
                        Last edited by horshak; 02-18-2019, 4:13 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;