X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NarrowSporty
    • Feb 2019

Sporty Frame

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum.
    I'm looking for advice on a narrow sporty frame. I have an 03 1200 with 6 over forks, I am wanting to turn into a narrow hardtail. So im looking for a hartail frame that fits the stock rear tire. I do not want a big 200mm rear nor do i want to use a ton of spacers. Current options look like my best bet is to just do a hardtail weld on kit. Looking for advice/tips/links etc etc.
    thanks all
    Attached Files
  • MOTher
    • Sep 2012

You're going to be a lot farther ahead with a hardtail than with a complete frame. Mostly because the hardtail will allow you to keep your stock numbers on the neck, so you won't have to re-title the whole thing. Led Sled makes a nice hardtail, as do others. Some may give you a nice "line" to your frame but move the rear wheel back a little, meaning you'll need a longer belt or a chain conversion. Search here and on the net in general for hardtails.

Comment

• NarrowSporty
      • Feb 2019

That's kinda what i was thinking too, I really dont want to mess around with the BMV or pay, really any money, to them for any reason, let alone pay them for a bike i already have.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
        • Apr 2012

Good for you! That fat tire shit went out back in '08 or so with all the lifestyle posers, unless you are in Florida
        in which case, that stuff is still common. (No insult to most people in Florida, but its a fact, still shops building insanely fat tire bikes there)
        If you are looking for a easy peasy ready to go frame, Its hard to beat what Kraft tech are selling. and involved in a few of those builds as well as checked out many others using them. No major issues I am aware of (Although building ANY custom there is always some sort of issue, but thats the nature of the beast.) I see some other shops stuff, and it varies, some good reports but it seems a lot of places build good stuff for a few years then go to Sh*t, But I am sure you will get a variety of opinions.
        (I have seen some good reports on Ledsled, but no personal experience)
        I have a Paughco frame here, has the right rake I wanted and clean lines I was looking for, I bought it as a roller off CL locally.
        Got it with extended forks, wheels/tires and some small bits for $800 with the factory MSO. The problem with this one is with a 21" in front and a 16" in the back it sits too low, Like a speed bump would send me airborne kinda low, If I leaned way over in a turn, Its going to scrape. I knew this, and either A) Swap wheels forks and tires to get it livable B) Do some mods to the frame.

I have heard from a few people that some, not all but some other Paughco frames have this issue, not sure why, (I can post a pix if you like) But I was happy with the price and willing to try and make it work. (I have a totaled Sporty I bought back from the Insurance company after I was run over by a drunk, I have doubts about the frame of my titled/totaled, Girl hit me from behind at 75-80 mph)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wreck9.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	1308203

(I got a good payout on the bike from Insurance and bought back the bike for $800, so with a few swap meet parts I could have it done and rolling down the road for $2000 or less, I do my own paint and fab,) But because of doubts about the frame is why I went with a complete other frame.

Now, It all depends on where you LIVE,, rules vary by state, Insurance is a major factor as well. Special construction bikes can be a PIA, I have a friend in California who had the plan of building some kit bikes, do 2-3 to finance a dream bike, keeper. It did not work out. Cant say for sure now, but Calif. passed a law mandating only ONE special construction bike for life, so he got stuck with a bike not exactly what he wanted to keep but what he built to sell. There might be workarounds now.

So, for some people using your stock frames numbers has a lot of value. Either cut off your neck and weld it to a design of your choice, or hard tail watcha got. That being said, also depends on the STYLE you want. Bobber with stock rake, Probably best to hard tail your stocker. (plus paperwork, registration, insurance)

I have been tempted with a Swedish style build, but I generally like old style diggers and thats generally what I build, low, long fronts. (Paughco DOES offer a swedish style sporty frame, so I keep looking at them, Had a 1960s Triumph that was modded into a Swedish style and man did that turn heads)

But I will say this, Now I get static about it and its always some young dude, never old chopper guys, but here goes. Do some research on frame geometry. Rake, trail and design. (Measure 20x, cut once).
        See: https://www.chopperhandbook.com/
        See: https://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm
        You will be very happy you did. Now here comes the part that always stirs the shit. A extended front end with stock rake handles like shit. Its a PIA to ride, flop, low speed unstable and just unpleasant. Almost always if you see a bike with the bottom frame rails parellel with the ground, it should handle decent. Theres posts on here with the "Norcal look" along with insane kick stand leans ironically called "Gangster lean" and Ive ridden peoples bikes with that and you couldnt pay me to own a bike setup that way. But its your choice,. You asked and thats my $0.02 and worth half what you paid for it.

**PS, Dont EVER extend forks with Slugs- Fork extensions. Slugs will kill you dead,

Name:	Norcalchopper2427248_362873514_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1308204

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Hardtail solves problems and retain titles.

As far as a (traditional steel tube) frame being in a crash, shit ain't hard to measure and steel tubing structures are deformed or they aren't. If they didn't deflect or damage what's bolted to them that's a clue.

Also check xlforum, da world's greatest Sporty resource.

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
            • Jan 2015

Tc bros, haifley bros and led sled offer great weld on hardtail. Led sled may have best price for a complete kit that includes oil bag, fender mounts etc. I have done 3 different weld on kits and the one thing I learned from the first one is that after the hardtail job is done there is still plenty of fabrication and welding to do as far as mpunting fenders, tanks, and accessories. Not as simple as they sound but if your up for it it'll be no problem. If u dont want to weld and fabricate a bunch of stuff then I recommend the complete kits where everything like mounts and brackets are set and already welded in place. It'll get u on the road a lot quicker and I spend less money paying someone else to do it,

Comment

• shovel625
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by NarrowSporty
              Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum.
              I'm looking for advice on a narrow sporty frame. I have an 03 1200 with 6 over forks, I am wanting to turn into a narrow hardtail. So im looking for a hartail frame that fits the stock rear tire. I do not want a big 200mm rear nor do i want to use a ton of spacers. Current options look like my best bet is to just do a hardtail weld on kit. Looking for advice/tips/links etc etc.
              thanks all
              Hailfley brothers has a frame for sale right now with a full title, oil tank, brake adapter, battery box, full one off custom frame, right now for a 2000-2003 sporty, is so fucking rad, if you have the dough i would contact them.

Comment

• shovel625
                • Mar 2018

Name:	haifley frame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1308221

heres the contact info

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Are you a competent weldor or have welder bros or a very reasonable weldor locally?

That matters. If not, check with hardtail kit makers what they get to do the install. Compare all the numbers because a motorcycle is just money on wheels.

Comment

• NarrowSporty
                    • Feb 2019

I am a good enough welder, but for this project I will hand it off to my much better welder brother.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by shovel625
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]90914[/ATTACH]

heres the contact info
                      Wow! $2100 plus shipping seems like a lot to me, On the other hand it DOES say it includes a bunch of stuff, and has a title, so maybe that matters to some. But it does seem like a lot.

On the other hand there is TC Bros hardtails on ebay for around $300 and change, And I know LowBrow sells a competent kit for hardtails, and LowBrow are good people to deal with.

But if you shop around there is some nice frames on FeeBay, Not promoting this vendor but its just an example..See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rigid-Hardt...nQ9r:rk:3:pf:0

200 XL rigid frame features a 40° rake with a 3" stretch.
                      Frame will accept 1" neck cups, Wide Glide fork assembly,
                      oil tank, battery box which must be ordered separately.
                      No Mounts for gas tank.
                      Frame also features a 16 digit serial number stamped onto the frame.
                      Accepts right side drive transmission (Stock Sportster) and is disc brake type.
                      For use on 1986-2003 XL model.
                      Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is supplied for the frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      $649 and free shipping. There is similar deals for Krafttech, which I have found to be a decent frame as well.

Comment

• NarrowSporty
                        • Feb 2019

yea 2100 for the frame is too steep for me, plus im trying to keep it narrow so I want to keep the stock rear tire size, not a 200. I think ill be going with the TC bros. quality stuff plus im in Ohio like them!!

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Makes sense especially since you have the welding handled and avoids titling issues.

Post a build thread when the time comes.

Comment

• Skjoll
                            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by NarrowSporty
                            ... I think ill be going with the TC bros. quality stuff plus im in Ohio like them!!
                            IMO the TC Bros weld-on hardtail is a nice strong unit with beautiful welds and is well worth the low price.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;