CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: First Build

Default First Build

Been hanging out here in the fringes for a long time now. I finally decided to do and commence my first build. I have 2010 sporty that I originally got for an ex-wife, who rode the bike exactly once. It has volunteered to be a donor bike for a hard tail bobber. I got a really good deal on a frame from the guys down at Zero engineering and springer as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190130_164216.jpg   20190130_164229.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good start!

Get Adobe Flash player

what lives in that cage?

Turns out the cage was going to be for the old ball and chain, but she got away before I could trap her in there.

I was able to get a fair start on getting the engine out of the old bike. The photos of the donor turned out to be too blurry to bother to post but here is what I was able to get done tonight. Got the exhaust air filter and ignition off as well as the belt disconnected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190201_190652.jpg  

I got the gas tank and the new seat this week and a bit of time off to work on getting the old bike striped down. I am going to try to get the engine out tomorrow. and the front forks off as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190208_173001.jpg  

This is the tank and seat. I am going to keep it a simple bobber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190208_173035.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

What is the rake on that frame?

38 degrees

Get Adobe Flash player

This is going to be a very slick Sportie Chop .... "Subscribe"

I was finally able to liberate the engine from the frame. It took more effort than what I was excepting. From here on out it is going to be building something new, rather than tearing something down. All things said and done, it is my first time trying something like this. i need to get some tabs welded up to the frame and get the engine mounted to the new frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190211_151817.jpg   20190209_135233.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Ya might wanna pull that clutch cable off the motor, your going to be moving that motor around a lot and that cable sticking out like it does is in harms way.
    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-11-2019 at 7:09 PM.

I was able to get the engine into the new frame today. Thanks to a snow at work,which in itself is an act of god. Now the fun begins. Trying to figure out how to get the engine secured in the frame. One step art a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190212_132615.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Since title passes with frame you'll want to prepare whatever paperwork your state requires for special construction vehicles including new frame MSO and any receipts. This thread is also proof you built it and you could print the thread to show to DMV.

Should be a fun machine.

Get Adobe Flash player

This may be a stupid question, but how does it work for a custom titled bike with mandatory safety and emissions equipment? On a custom build do you have to have current levels of both, so turn signals, side markers, and on the emissions side a catalytic converter?

I'm just curious and thought this thread was a good place to ask.

In Washington you are required to have the basic safety equipment, turn signals and such. I had a costum bike titled several years ago that just needed the MSO from the builder.

I have a set of 4.5" by 18" tires on the way and I am having a hell of a time trying to get rims for them. Any recommendations would greatly appreciated.

Not much has been done this week, other than waiting for parts to get here. I sourced a couple rims. That was a pain in the ass, and they couldn't arrive in the same day, but they are here and ready to go and get fitted. I also got the chain conversion and engine mounts made. The next step is to get everything squared up and secured into place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190224_164157.jpg  

Been really busy at work and I am getting set to retire from the navy, so the bike has been on the back burner for a couple of weeks. The last few days have seen some rigid mounts get made and installed. I had to wait on bearings and over things to get in but it is looking up.

I got the motor mounted and am getting the spacing for the rear wheel set. but i thought that i would see how it was going to fit together. Still a long way to go...

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190313_183351.jpg   20190313_183747.jpg   20190313_185055 (2).jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Congrats on retirement!

Get printed copies of your medical records and if you haven't done your C&P physical, do some reading on how best to clarify (exam docs can't read minds) and document your accumulated damage because even a zero percent rating now may change over time. I had my ducks in a row and successfully appealed my disability rating. No need for DAV etc.

Good info from our brothers and sisters lives here: https://community.hadit.com/forum/71...pension-exams/

Life keeps finding ways to prevent progress from being made on this project. Here's the progress that I have made recently. I have the front end mounted and ready to have the brake lines and the lights wired up. I have the engine squared up with the back tire and chain adjusted correctly. seats mounted and so is the rear fender. I am working on foot controls as well as the tank. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190816_102820.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	96345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190815_164716.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	96346

Share This