CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default 1985 Ironhead Extended Forks / Rigid Frame

    Can I SAFELY do 10-12 over extended forks on a stick swinger frame? Any safer with a rigid frame? Whole new front end a better option?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisfireAFMC View Post
    Can I SAFELY do 10-12 over extended forks on a stick swinger frame? Any safer with a rigid frame? Whole new front end a better option?
    10-12 over on anything stock rake is going to have a sketch factor to it. Is it as safe as stock? NO. Does it look cool on a rigid frame bike? i think so. I build for look, some build for comfort. whats ur goal? barhop, ride across the country?

    when you say 10-12 over are we talking a hydraulic front end setup or springer. Yes theres a diffrence because of the springer rockers.
    Last edited by shovel625; 01-23-2019 at 5:36 AM. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shovel625 View Post
    10-12 over on anything stock rake is going to have a sketch factor to it. Is it as safe as stock? NO. Does it look cool on a rigid frame bike? i think so. I build for look, some build for comfort. whats ur goal? barhop, ride across the country?

    when you say 10-12 over are we talking a hydraulic front end setup or springer. Yes theres a diffrence because of the springer rockers.
    Probably no more than local riding, however I kinda dig the idea of doing a cross-country (as far as it will make it!) ride on it for the sake of doing it! I don’t know if I’m going to hardtail it yet, the stock frame is sturdy. I guess my question is will the longer forks potentially bend or anything, or is it just a handling issue?

  4. #4
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Also, 10-12 over extended uppers with the stock lower forks is what I’m thinking about doing - however if I could find a 10-12 over springer, that would be a kick ass look and would jump on it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisfireAFMC View Post
    Probably no more than local riding, however I kinda dig the idea of doing a cross-country (as far as it will make it!) ride on it for the sake of doing it! I don’t know if I’m going to hardtail it yet, the stock frame is sturdy. I guess my question is will the longer forks potentially bend or anything, or is it just a handling issue?
    you will def. see some flexing in the front end, but nothing too wild. if you do a 33.4 mm id recommend running a fork brace, maybe.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,934

    Default

    NO 10 or 12 over on any stock rake frame is safe...... My nickle.......

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    NO 10 or 12 over on any stock rake frame is safe...... My nickle.......
    Why is that?

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock rake chop.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	90485

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisfireAFMC View Post
    Why is that?
    its just sketchy, theres a big diffrence from 6 over 10 10-12 over. its just harder to ride, the front wheel flops over more and the front of the bike is so tall that it just leverages one way or another, takes time to get use to.

    itll wheelie awesome though

  10. #10
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock rake chop.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	90485
    What length is that? Is a rigid frame necessary, or just cool as hell?

  11. #11
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shovel625 View Post
    its just sketchy, theres a big diffrence from 6 over 10 10-12 over. its just harder to ride, the front wheel flops over more and the front of the bike is so tall that it just leverages one way or another, takes time to get use to.

    itll wheelie awesome though
    Right on. I think the handling of it will be fine for me, I’m 6 ft 4 so I won’t have the view of the tank as a problem and have the reach that slow turns and stops shouldn’t be difficult.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisfireAFMC View Post
    Right on. I think the handling of it will be fine for me, I’m 6 ft 4 so I won’t have the view of the tank as a problem and have the reach that slow turns and stops shouldn’t be difficult.
    youll be completely fine, just takes a little getting use to

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shovel625 View Post
    takes time to get use to.

    I don't think you could ever get use to riding that bike..... But WTF do I know I've only been riding on the street for 45 years.....

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisfireAFMC View Post
    Why is that?
    I know this is not that answer your looking for but, Because it isn't safe.....

    There is a reason you don't see many bikes like that..... I'm sure most people that build them are new riders that don't know any better and I'd also bet they don't stay that way very long once they get them built and ride them..... But I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions there always are....

    You will have to find out for yourself I'm sure.....

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I don't think you could ever get use to riding that bike..... But WTF do I know I've only been riding on the street for 45 years.....
    that bike is way to extreme for me, id feel like i was sliding off the seat the whole time. 6 over is about a far up as i like without rake

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in