Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MisfireAFMC
    • Jan 2019

1985 Ironhead Extended Forks / Rigid Frame

Can I SAFELY do 10-12 over extended forks on a stick swinger frame? Any safer with a rigid frame? Whole new front end a better option?
  • shovel625
    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by MisfireAFMC
    Can I SAFELY do 10-12 over extended forks on a stick swinger frame? Any safer with a rigid frame? Whole new front end a better option?
    10-12 over on anything stock rake is going to have a sketch factor to it. Is it as safe as stock? NO. Does it look cool on a rigid frame bike? i think so. I build for look, some build for comfort. whats ur goal? barhop, ride across the country?

when you say 10-12 over are we talking a hydraulic front end setup or springer. Yes theres a diffrence because of the springer rockers.
    Last edited by shovel625; 01-23-2019, 4:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• MisfireAFMC
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by shovel625
      10-12 over on anything stock rake is going to have a sketch factor to it. Is it as safe as stock? NO. Does it look cool on a rigid frame bike? i think so. I build for look, some build for comfort. whats ur goal? barhop, ride across the country?

when you say 10-12 over are we talking a hydraulic front end setup or springer. Yes theres a diffrence because of the springer rockers.
      Probably no more than local riding, however I kinda dig the idea of doing a cross-country (as far as it will make it!) ride on it for the sake of doing it! I don’t know if I’m going to hardtail it yet, the stock frame is sturdy. I guess my question is will the longer forks potentially bend or anything, or is it just a handling issue?

Comment

• MisfireAFMC
        • Jan 2019

Also, 10-12 over extended uppers with the stock lower forks is what I’m thinking about doing - however if I could find a 10-12 over springer, that would be a kick ass look and would jump on it!

Comment

• shovel625
          • Mar 2018

Probably no more than local riding, however I kinda dig the idea of doing a cross-country (as far as it will make it!) ride on it for the sake of doing it! I don’t know if I’m going to hardtail it yet, the stock frame is sturdy. I guess my question is will the longer forks potentially bend or anything, or is it just a handling issue?
          you will def. see some flexing in the front end, but nothing too wild. if you do a 33.4 mm id recommend running a fork brace, maybe.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

NO 10 or 12 over on any stock rake frame is safe...... My nickle.......

Comment

• MisfireAFMC
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
              NO 10 or 12 over on any stock rake frame is safe...... My nickle.......
              Why is that?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock rake chop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1307895
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shovel625
                  • Mar 2018

Why is that?
                  its just sketchy, theres a big diffrence from 6 over 10 10-12 over. its just harder to ride, the front wheel flops over more and the front of the bike is so tall that it just leverages one way or another, takes time to get use to.

itll wheelie awesome though

Comment

• MisfireAFMC
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]90485[/ATTACH]
                    What length is that? Is a rigid frame necessary, or just cool as hell?

Comment

• MisfireAFMC
                      • Jan 2019

its just sketchy, theres a big diffrence from 6 over 10 10-12 over. its just harder to ride, the front wheel flops over more and the front of the bike is so tall that it just leverages one way or another, takes time to get use to.

itll wheelie awesome though
                      Right on. I think the handling of it will be fine for me, I’m 6 ft 4 so I won’t have the view of the tank as a problem and have the reach that slow turns and stops shouldn’t be difficult.

Comment

• shovel625
                        • Mar 2018

Right on. I think the handling of it will be fine for me, I’m 6 ft 4 so I won’t have the view of the tank as a problem and have the reach that slow turns and stops shouldn’t be difficult.
                        youll be completely fine, just takes a little getting use to

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

takes time to get use to.

I don't think you could ever get use to riding that bike..... But WTF do I know I've only been riding on the street for 45 years.....

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Why is that?
                            I know this is not that answer your looking for but, Because it isn't safe.....

There is a reason you don't see many bikes like that..... I'm sure most people that build them are new riders that don't know any better and I'd also bet they don't stay that way very long once they get them built and ride them..... But I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions there always are....

You will have to find out for yourself I'm sure.....

Comment

• shovel625
                              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                              I don't think you could ever get use to riding that bike..... But WTF do I know I've only been riding on the street for 45 years.....
                              that bike is way to extreme for me, id feel like i was sliding off the seat the whole time. 6 over is about a far up as i like without rake

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;