Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartagus981
    • Jan 2018

V-Twin chopper frame (51-3525) fitment question/issue

Hello, so I am ready to mount my motor in the frame. So i put the engine on a jack today on it's side and set the frame over it; primary side up. I lined up the rear four engine mounts and quickly put 3 bolts through just to hold it in place. I then put some bolts through the left lower front engine mounting bracket just to hold the frame up. I have also loosley mocked up the top engine mount. When the rear is all squared off (like it would be if it was upright and mounted correctly), I noticed one of the lower rails is directly blocking the primary drain plug. I had removed the plug for motor installation and now it wouldnt be able to put back in, nor removed again to change the oil. I have a very hard time believing that V-Twin would design a chopper frame that would not let you drain the primary. I have attatched photos of the issue. Could this just be because the motor is not bolted tightly into the frame? would gravity have an effect on this? I'm at a loss because I doubt I got a defective frame, and I know the motor will fit in the frame according to the mfg.

Is there some special plug that just never gets removed again? How would I drain the primary? How can I fix this? Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	50283524_787660241566809_5496099890108825600_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1344367Click image for larger version

Name:	50531495_615642695525643_3372313397746991104_n.jpg
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1344368Click image for larger version

Name:	50544976_2199214217058967_6288323985293705216_n.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1344369Click image for larger version

Name:	50675805_357086195123244_8167187764282916864_n.jpg
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1344370
  • Spartagus981
    • Jan 2018

Anyone?

Comment

• vonhelmet
      • May 2010

Is this a sportster engine? I have aan '89 sport in a Paughco frame and one of the frame crossmembers blocks removal of the primary drive drain plug. Should have cut it out and moved it during the build, but I didnt notice until too late. No biggie, to change the primary fluid I use a Mity-Vac pump to suck the fluid out. Works great and dosnt cost much. Problem solved for me.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

What's wrong with taking the primary cover off????? You don't need to change it every time you change your oil anyways....

Comment

• Spartagus981
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by vonhelmet
          Is this a sportster engine? I have aan '89 sport in a Paughco frame and one of the frame crossmembers blocks removal of the primary drive drain plug. Should have cut it out and moved it during the build, but I didnt notice until too late. No biggie, to change the primary fluid I use a Mity-Vac pump to suck the fluid out. Works great and dosnt cost much. Problem solved for me.
          True. That a a good idea.

Comment

• Spartagus981
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
            What's wrong with taking the primary cover off????? You don't need to change it every time you change your oil anyways....
            Nothing. I honestly didnt even think of that haha. But thanks for the idea

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Spartagus981
              Nothing. I honestly didnt even think of that haha. But thanks for the idea
              LOL Sometimes you have to just sit back with a beer and think about it a little bit more..... LOL

Comment

• dirtdawg806
                • Jan 2013

i have recently bought one these frame how did it turn out?

Comment

• Spartagus981
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by dirtdawg806
                  i have recently bought one these frame how did it turn out?

The issue was the primary drain plug. S&S makes a plug that sits flush. I will not be able to remove the plug once the engine is in and will likely end up siphoning the oil out or removing the entire primary cover. If you would like I can send you the part number.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                    • Sep 2011

I guess the only downside to taking the primary cover off is having to replace the gasket because lets say you change it every so often, and put some decent miles on in between, you'd be doing primary oil and gasket each time, which seems a little unnecessary but probably the only way. Just make sure you get proper alignment with the bolt in, the head of it is a good 1/4"+ and without it, it looks to be sitting right on the frame rail. Or just get the S&S one like you just posted about. Seems like a good solution.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Why do you even care about getting the oil out of the bottom end of the motor????? There is very little in there......... It's not worth the time it would take.......

Comment

• SamHain
                        • Apr 2024

Why do you even care about getting the oil out of the bottom end of the motor????? There is very little in there......... It's not worth the time it would take.......
                        I believe that’s the inner primary. I would find a way to have a drain plug. Welding and drilling is no big deal.

That’s also a shit ass place to find out wants to leak.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2019, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• Spartagus981
                          • Jan 2018

You dont think it's important to change the primary fluid?

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                            • Sep 2011

Primary fluid is also transmission fluid. There is 28oz of fluid give or take that lives in the primary. It would be nice to have a drain plug to remove and replace the fluid on a scheduled maintenance basis.

Edit: if this is a sportster....
                            Last edited by brooklynbomber; 04-29-2019, 8:13 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Spartagus981
                              You dont think it's important to change the primary fluid?
                              LOL Hell I thought you were talking about the plug in the motor.....

Yes primary should be changed, not the bottom end of the motor...... Those plugs are very hard to get out...... I did say motor above....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;