CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Custom bike legalities

Im a biker/welder/fabricator between jobs atm.
    I have my own metal shop and can build decent bike frames etc...
    I kind of want to turn it into a business or at least an aspect of my soon to be metalwork business.

I figure the legal side of building custom frames etc is provincial here in Canada but... Does anyone know where the "exact regulations are?" Or know them yourself?

Basic guidelines, licences etc?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wish you all the best, working for myself was the best/worst years of my life. Given the chance I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The one thing I will start with is since you are talking frames, check to see what the liability laws are. Of particular note, what happens you sell a frame to a dumb ass like me, I screw around and add/remove brackets, and then the frame breaks as I try to take my twincam motocrossing. Are you liable for any injuries?

I think you get the idea.

Don't let this slow you down, but do make sure you are covered for it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Time to engage with your government and any small business legal resources available so you can personally read the applicable laws and submit any questions to your lawyer. Ask your insurance company what would change if you build frames.

Then do the business math. It might pay, it might not. How large is your market?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post

The one thing I will start with is since you are talking frames, check to see what the liability laws are. Of particular note, what happens you sell a frame to a dumb ass like me, I screw around and add/remove brackets, and then the frame breaks as I try to take my twincam motocrossing. Are you liable for any injuries?
    Big Bear Choppers come to mind

Share This