Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcrubin
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
    This was completely unnecessary, as the retaining plate captures the outer race of that ball bearing, preventing it ever spinning. The mounting cup or sleeve is not a race, and is normally a slip fit on the bearing. As it is a light press into the case, it will tighten up a little on the OD of the bearing when all is installed in the case. What you did certainly won't hurt anything, but you didn't gain anything either.

Jim
    Yeah its true the plate prevents slipping, but anything press fit that 'falls' into a race is not fit as prescribed regardless. The remediation was still more prudent than leaving it alone. If the extra 5 minutes of work to do this was unnecessary, guilty as charged i suppose.

Comment

• jcrubin
      • Dec 2018

Part 3 posted in this thread

Due to issues I was having sucking oil into a valve guide into my rear cylinder I will need to disassembly the top end of my motor. I've decided to document this work as I do with my Yamahas'. Furthermore, I have a tick in the front from an unknown clearance issue that I have the opportunity to address so I can also repair that

Comment

• SamHain
        • Apr 2024

This was completely unnecessary, as the retaining plate captures the outer race of that ball bearing, preventing it ever spinning. The mounting cup or sleeve is not a race, and is normally a slip fit on the bearing. As it is a light press into the case, it will tighten up a little on the OD of the bearing when all is installed in the case. What you did certainly won't hurt anything, but you didn't gain anything either.

Jim
        Is this on the timing side? I don’t know much about cow pies as I threw mine away and opted to build a ratchet. But that bearing/race fit was the only thing that held the mainshaft from walking to the primary side and would completely slack my clutch when it decided to. Took me a lot of tear downs to figure that one out

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jcrubin
          Please be more specific..
          I just noticed this were you asking me???

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by SamHain
            Is this on the timing side? I don’t know much about cow pies as I threw mine away and opted to build a ratchet. But that bearing/race fit was the only thing that held the mainshaft from walking to the primary side and would completely slack my clutch when it decided to. Took me a lot of tear downs to figure that one out
            The bearing retainer plate holds the bearing in place. If you have a mainshaft walking, the shaft nut is loose or stripped. All four speeds are set up essentially the same, regardless of the shifter top.

Jim

Comment

• SamHain
              • Apr 2024

The bearing retainer plate holds the bearing in place. If you have a mainshaft walking, the shaft nut is loose or stripped. All four speeds are set up essentially the same, regardless of the shifter top.

Jim
              The nut keeps it from walking towards timing side but nothing was there to keep it from going to towards primary.

My nightmare
              Alright, ratchet top, open belt, rivera pro. Had it working then I pulled the basket to replace the belt. Started it's life as an 80 fxs. Just built a ratchet top for it though, maybe 200 miles on it trouble free. Adjust the clutch it's fine, get through a couple gears fine, get to the stop sign at the end of the block and

Edit: I probably have things backwards a bit here. Been a while. But the retainer still allowed enough movement for the mainshaft to walk, a tight race and bearing solved it.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2019, 1:55 PM.

Comment

• jcrubin
                • Dec 2018

Assembly of the countershaft was staged but there was a sizing issue with one of the bushings

This one was just too big to fit

J&P was happy to send another bushing NQA.

Sadly, having some personal family issues, id taken some time away from the project.
                Back at the bench a month or so later, I confirmed good fitment of the bushing.

I decided to measure the OLD, NEW, and REPLACEMENT out of curiosity

OLD 1.6891

NEW 1.6911

REPLACEMENT 1.6893
                Last edited by jcrubin; 07-14-2019, 8:34 PM.

Comment

• jcrubin
                  • Dec 2018

A Fine fit with independent rotation of the gear and bushing on the shaft.

Retainer clip and further additions

Full Assembly with outer gear
                  Last edited by jcrubin; 07-14-2019, 8:36 PM.

Comment

• jcrubin
                    • Dec 2018

Video Part 4 posted to

http://http://www.chopcult.com/forum...ad.php?t=53163

Comment

• jcrubin
                      • Dec 2018

Counter cluster shimmed to .005, new shaft and seal

Retaining bracket torqued to 105in/lb

Kick start gear components assembly

Minor thread bind repair

Thread fixed.
                      Last edited by jcrubin; 07-28-2019, 9:06 PM.

Comment

• jcrubin
                        • Dec 2018

Video Part 5 posted to
                        Due to issues I was having sucking oil into a valve guide into my rear cylinder I will need to disassembly the top end of my motor. I've decided to document this work as I do with my Yamahas'. Furthermore, I have a tick in the front from an unknown clearance issue that I have the opportunity to address so I can also repair that

Comment

• jcrubin
                          • Dec 2018

Video Part 6 posted to

Comment

• jcrubin
                            • Dec 2018

Video part 7 posted to

Comment

• jcrubin
                              • Dec 2018

Video part 8 posted to

Comment

• jcrubin
                                • Dec 2018

Part 11 has been posted to

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;