Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by jcrubin
    Top end stuff is 7 years old, bottom end stuff is 40 years..... Id say it did ok... Ill admit I did reuse the stator. IT DID NOT look like that when i put it back in, in the last 7 years it somehow got corrupted and oxidized.

When I look at the mounting bolts I cant help but think they are uhm, well ,,,, wrong?

At a minimum, given the wear location, you think the bolts would be wider and have the thread start further down the shaft. The fact that the hex bolt was metric leaves me suspicious.
    Motor mount bolts should be 3/8-24, grade 5, hex cap screws of sufficient length to fully engage a nylon insert lock nut.

Jim

Comment

• jcrubin
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
      Motor mount bolts should be 3/8-24, grade 5, hex cap screws of sufficient length to fully engage a nylon insert lock nut.

Jim
      Yes, this was apparent upon removal and the correct ones will be used in the re-installation, that said it looks like the mounts are a bit out of round.. Makes me wonder if this is an issue, and if so if there is a jig to cut and press a sleeve into these if this is a known issue

FR

FL

RR

RL
      Last edited by jcrubin; 01-27-2019, 6:48 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

^^^^ Is that grease in the front holes it looks like it is??^^^^^^ it's hard to tell.......

See if it is???? If it is clean in out your old bolts were to small........

Comment

• jcrubin
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
          ^^^^ Is that grease in the front holes it looks like it is??^^^^^^ it's hard to tell.......

See if it is???? If it is clean in out your old bolts were to small........
          I will clean out the holes and retake the photos, Its fully established that the bolts that i removed were not OEM and were too small. The question is dealing with out of round mount holes.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

I will clean out the holes and retake the photos, Its fully established that the bolts that i removed were not OEM and were too small. The question is dealing with out of round mount holes.
            I'll bet if you get the grease or what ever out the holes they will be round enough....

Just remember when your remounting/bolting down the motor it might need to be shimmed and you should mount the inner primary to the trans and motor before anything is tightened down.....

Comment

• jcrubin
              • Dec 2018

I'll bet if you get the grease or what ever out the holes they will be round enough....

Just remember when your remounting/bolting down the motor it might need to be shimmed and you should mount the inner primary to the trans and motor before anything is tightened down.....
              Definitely true i agree, This motor installation will be done correctly.... not like the crackhead who did it last. Im just concerned that the motor itself is supposed to be stationary and everything is supposed to align to it. It cant be stationary if the holes are too big... I might be overthinking it.

I have only a few items left to remove to send the bottom end off to the machine shop...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Im just concerned that the motor itself is supposed to be stationary and everything is supposed to align to it.
                Not really.... The motor should be level and not twisted or tilted in the frame..... Then bolt the primary to the motor and trans before torquing anything down..... Make sure everything is sitting flat to each other..........

Comment

• rockman96
                  • May 2018

Not really.... The motor should be level and not twisted or tilted in the frame..... Then bolt the primary to the motor and trans before torquing anything down..... Make sure everything is sitting flat to each other..........
                  What tattooo said, and I will add something...
                  Once the inner primary/motor plate/whatever is bolted solidly to the motor, make sure the assembly is straight, i.e. parallel, to the driveline (frame, wheel/sprocket/etc)
                  There is typically a tiny bit of wiggle room with the engine mounting, so just eyeball it and make sure.

Also, when shimming the motor bolt the rear mount first to determine if and how much shim is needed, and if the motor is out of whack.

Btw, sweet looking bike. Not many around that are that stock looking anymore. Mine (81) sure isn’t, but then they were plentiful back in the days when I did all my mods.
                  Last edited by rockman96; 01-28-2019, 5:08 AM.

Comment

• jcrubin
                    • Dec 2018

All that is left is to throw the cam back in and close the cam cover and its off to the machine shop.....

Oil pump removal

Oil pump 2

Oil Pump 3
                    Last edited by jcrubin; 01-28-2019, 9:00 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

How does it look inside where the gears run in the pump???

Comment

• jcrubin
                        • Dec 2018

I found no issues or causes for concern with the oil pump, I will be doing a closer inspection of the gears in place once i get the case out the door and bench space available.

Comment

• jcrubin
                          • Dec 2018

Thoughts on this? I can't see going for 200$ for JIMS for something I use every five or so years....

This tool is a must for any owner! This tool is a Main Shaft Sprocket Wrench Tool for the 1 7/8" Nut. It comes with a threaded bushing. Will fit 36-06 Big Twins, except 06 Dyna. Back of the tool has a 1/2" Drive . The tool is 5.5 inch deep. Proudly manufactured and assembled in the United States.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Thoughts on this? I can't see going for 200$ for JIMS for something I use every five or so years....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...bBvo:rk:2:pf:0
                            It should work just fine....

Comment

• KevinN
                              • May 2014

I have bought several specialty tools from this supplier. They are good as jims.
                              Last edited by KevinN; 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Some say this is a sign of a loose sprocket

You may be dealing with hi-wear on the main-shaft and fourth gear inner bushing....

Try rocking the sprocket with two screw drivers or pry bars....

This will give ya an idea of how much the bushing/bearing is worn ...
                                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...