CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Pushrod assortment..the hell!!

First off I'm a newb. The 72 shovel I found came with an assortment of pushrods and I have no idea whats what or if they're all there.

I have 4 non-adjustable pushrods with two being identical and the other two different lengths (all same diameters). Then I have 4 adjustable rods with two identical and two different lengths and diameters.

here's a pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7947.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	90254

Get Adobe Flash player

The distances between tappet blocks and rocker arms are not equal on all cylinders, hence the different length pushrods.

Get Adobe Flash player

gotcha..so basically if it fits it works? so far I've only seen adjustable rods being used with shovels. Curious what the non adjustable ones would go to?

From the top in your pic:

The top two steel pushrods are the '80-up version of the factory shovel pushrod, to be used with the factory hydraulic tappet, or with a factory tappet body with a solid adapter designed for the stock pushrod.

The first adjustable aluminum pushrod is for a panhead (note larger radius on top ball end) and should not be used in a shovel.

The second adjustable aluminum pushrod is an aftermarket version of the stock shovel pushrod, see above.

The nonadjustable set is for a shovel with '48 - '52 style solid adjustable tappets, or a shovel with stock tappet bodies that have an adjustable adapter added.

So, it depends on what style tappets you have or want.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by firstripholdmybeer View Post
    gotcha..so basically if it fits it works? so far I've only seen adjustable rods being used with shovels. Curious what the non adjustable ones would go to?
    On aftermarket sets with different lengths, the two shortest go on the intakes, the next longest to the rear exhaust, and the longest to the front exhaust.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    On aftermarket sets with different lengths, the two shortest go on the intakes, the next longest to the rear exhaust, and the longest to the front exhaust.

Jim
    LOL You beat me to it... I seen you missed that part in your first post but you got it now..... I threw mine away...... Great info you just posted....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-14-2019 at 7:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

AHHH ok so three different sizes. wow this bundle of pushrods is more of a headache than needed haha. I pretty sure I'm supposed to be rocking those nonadjustable rods. this is what I have:

Name:	431-552_A.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	90256

Get Adobe Flash player

AHHH ok so three different sizes. wow this bundle of pushrods is more of a headache than needed haha. I pretty sure I'm supposed to be rocking those nonadjustable rods. this is what I have:

Name:	431-552_A.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	90256
    You need the adjustable rods with the tappet inserts above..... Like the ones at the top of your pic..... Yours are solid now...

I guess I should say don't use vice grips or pliers like have been used on them in the past.... That's not how they were intended to be adjusted....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-14-2019 at 8:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    You need the adjustable rods with the tappet inserts above..... Like the ones at the top of your pic..... Yours are solid now...

I guess I should say don't use vice grips or pliers like have been used on them in the past.... That's not how they were intended to be adjusted....
    Dammit! alright I'll have to find a good set of those then. any recommendations on some good ones without breaking the bank?

thanks for your help guys, I always leave here having learned something. cheers!

Dammit! alright I'll have to find a good set of those then. any recommendations on some good ones without breaking the bank?

thanks for your help guys, I always leave here having learned something. cheers!
    You just need two more stock ones. By the way, the stock H-D ones are all the same length (one part number for all four positions ).

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

good point, I'll see what I can find. I'm curious, is there a reason the aftermarket sets had three different sizes? was that a improvement for oiling these things or?

good point, I'll see what I can find. I'm curious, is there a reason the aftermarket sets had three different sizes? was that a improvement for oiling these things or?
    The geometry is such that the adjusted lengths come out different, as noted early in this thread. So, the aftermarket made the pushrods to suit. H-D made one part fit all, a production concession that is no problem with the stock cams and hydraulic tappets.
    If I were you, I would round up two stock pushrods in addition to the two you have, or even one, if you want to use the odd aluminum pushrod you also have. You may rethink the whole set-up at a later time, but that will do for now. (It looks like you are assembling a motor from a box.) There will be more important stuff to spend money on, I promise you.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Bummer that Jim's took off line their SIGNATURE SERIES TITANIUM PUSHRODS..

Couldn't sell em do to the cost of the titanium being so high...
    (The SR-71 was using it all up ....)

Get Adobe Flash player

Tool steel dominates Top Fuel car classes for good reason, and they can afford any pushrod material or design they can imagine. If you want Ti pushrods you can have them made by your local machine shop but they still require steel adjusters and tips so the weight saving isn't much.

Aerospace suppliers can sell you any alloy you wish. Look for quality info like this example: http://www.aerospacemetals.com/aerospace-quality.html

You have wealthy customers who want to save reciprocating weight while fapping to how much they spend. These folks can feed the need. Jims isn't even close to their league.

https://www.ferrea.com/Motorcycle-Ra...mponents/c8298

BTW SR and relatives were ancient history when Jims offered those pushrods. Titanium prices dropped around that time (hence all the cute Ti camping toys like sporks) and sellers were eager to use it anywhere they could because of the exotic masturbation factor.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm forwarding your statement to Jim's .... Lol

Here's food for thought about lifter choice ...

I bought a set of Crane's years ago ...
    Reason for that choice was they made them with the foot deep down inside the lifter bores .... Used a set of Evo pushrods to have the adjuster far up in the pushrod...

The angles was so much improved ... Cam timing was affected ....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 01-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm forwarding your statement to Jim's .... Lol
    Go right ahead. No shame in being a different success in a different league. Then note differences in product lines.

One makes valves for F1 and Indy car engines (compared to which every HD and clone mill ever built is a joke) and it ain't JIMSŪ. F1 engines can turn over 20,000 RPM and use pneumatic valve springs instead of coils. These guys can't afford broken valves because there's a wee bit of money on the line:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#4fddb17720a0

Want custom? Here ya go. https://www.ferrea.com/video_gallery...om-valves.html

Get Adobe Flash player

The geometry is such that the adjusted lengths come out different, as noted early in this thread. So, the aftermarket made the pushrods to suit. H-D made one part fit all...

Jim
    Makes sense, thanks for all of the help man! going to try and find two more stock ones.

Get Adobe Flash player

You just need two more stock ones. By the way, the stock H-D ones are all the same length (one part number for all four positions ).

Jim
    Hey Jim,

So I got the other two to complete the set so that all of them are the same length/part number pushrods. These are for solid lifters on a cone. I was able to get all but the rear intake rod in (by a hair or two). wondering if you've ever had to deal with this?

Here's what it looks like, and this is at it's lowest...

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	90597
    Last edited by firstripholdmybeer; 01-25-2019 at 8:21 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

These are for solid lifters on a cone. I was able to get all but the rear intake rod in (by a hair or two). wondering if you've ever had to deal with this?

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	90597
    Yep sure have many of times..... You either need to take the head off or use a tool to slip the push rod over the lip of the lifter.....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-25-2019 at 8:26 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ha! why of course, why didn't I think of that. nothings torqued down so I'll lift the heads some.
    again, thanks a bunch Jim, you've been a huge help.

cheers

Share This