Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

You guys are forgetting that those State applied numbers are from 1951...... You can't use today's logic for what they did back then.... Hell not long ago back in the 70s dealers would restamp numbers in new replacement frames... If a bike was totaled because of a bent frame....

I'd bet there nothing wrong with that bike...... Now if you would take it into California you would get a tag.... Hell they put tags on legit Harley numbered bikes....

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by worldsbelow
      Also, what would be behind the skid plate to reveal if the cases are OG? Thanks.

That's why I said you need to read read read...... Also I told you in post #8 what was behind the plate if you would have been reading everyone's post.....

Comment

• worldsbelow
        • Jan 2014

My bad, homes. I didn’t know there was a difference between the belly numbers and the location where the vin was stamped. Glad you fellers could help out.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

My bad, homes. I didn’t know there was a difference between the belly numbers and the location where the vin was stamped. Glad you fellers could help out.
          No problem.... But Like I said before, If you want to own a old Harley you need to read read read and listen to people that know way more than you..... that way when your our age you can help others.....

Comment

• Whoremonger
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
            You guys are forgetting that those State applied numbers are from 1951...... You can't use today's logic for what they did back then.... Hell not long ago back in the 70s dealers would restamp numbers in new replacement frames... If a bike was totaled because of a bent frame....

I'd bet there nothing wrong with that bike...... Now if you would take it into California you would get a tag.... Hell they put tags on legit Harley numbered bikes....
            This is true only f you dont have a title that has the vin that matches the cases.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Whoremonger
              This is true only f you dont have a title that has the vin that matches the cases.
              Yep I said that in post#2..... But he said he did have the title..... Look at the note that the guy sent him.....
              Last edited by Tattooo; 01-14-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• BurnoutNova
                • Oct 2013

I have a 73 Shovel that has a similar story to this. It has a south dakota assigned vin and it is stamped on the left side, rather than the right side where the numbers would have originally been at. I believe it starts with SDxxxxxx or something like that.

Long story short, if the title matches what is on the case I would say it is legit. Anything else and I would stay away from it. Don't believe any other bullshit you read online...

Comment

• nuklhd
                  • Sep 2013

you can see the pin holes on the vin boss from the weld build up.

Comment

• worldsbelow
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by nuklhd
                    you can see the pin holes on the vin boss from the weld build up.

What’s that signify? Bad welds? Factory welds?

Comment

• worldsbelow
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BurnoutNova
                      I have a 73 Shovel that has a similar story to this. It has a south dakota assigned vin and it is stamped on the left side, rather than the right side where the numbers would have originally been at. I believe it starts with SDxxxxxx or something like that.

Long story short, if the title matches what is on the case I would say it is legit. Anything else and I would stay away from it. Don't believe any other bullshit you read online...

Right on. Did you have any trouble titling it when you got it? I know it varies case by case but just wondering your experience.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

What’s that signify? Bad welds? Factory welds?
                        It shouldn't have been welded at all.....

Comment

• BurnoutNova
                          • Oct 2013

Right on. Did you have any trouble titling it when you got it? I know it varies case by case but just wondering your experience.
                          Well I haven't attempted to do that yet actually... My main point was to verify there were state/county DMV's that did do shit like that in the past.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BurnoutNova
                            Well I haven't attempted to do that yet actually... My main point was to verify there were state/county DMV's that did do shit like that in the past.
                            By the number of cases that I have seen like that it's obvious that it was a common practice....

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

In the past those bikes weren't classics, they were just motorcycles so there was no real-world reason to care.

If you do buy that motorcycle I'd immediately transfer title and get your printed copy on the spot. I always do this because reasons not to don't exist. That saved me on a BSA which dropped out of DMV records. If that title ever got lost it may no longer be in the DMV database.

Comment

• Whoremonger
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                                In the past those bikes weren't classics, they were just motorcycles so there was no real-world reason to care.

If you do buy that motorcycle I'd immediately transfer title and get your printed copy on the spot. I always do this because reasons not to don't exist. That saved me on a BSA which dropped out of DMV records. If that title ever got lost it may no longer be in the DMV database.
                                Very good advice

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;