Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79Josh81
    • Jan 2019

Wide Rear Tire - “how to” advice

Hey everyone, I’m new here. I’ve been on xs650.com forums for a while and thought it couldn’t hurt to link up with some folks on here for some advice as well since the other forum has really helped me out a lot over the past few months. This is a question I also posted in the other forum and figured a “chop” forum might know a thing or two about choppin’ bikes as well.

So the title says it all. I recently purchased a beat up 81 xs650 special II that I’m going to be working on to get running again. My ultimate goal is another bobber or chopper build but i’ve never prepared the frame for a wide rear tire which i’m really wanting to eventually do with this one.

I’ve researched some and I’m assuming i’ll need a wider rear wheel obviously, jack shaft or offset sprocket kit, and potentially a wider weld on hardtail.

For the guys who have done this, what route do you recommend and where and what parts should I use to make this happen as easy as possible. Also, what is the widest tire you’ve been able to fit on a standard weld on hardtail for the XS (like a TC bros or Voodoo) when using a jack shaft or offset sprocket kit?
    Last edited by 79Josh81; 01-12-2019, 8:13 PM.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

...81 special II that I’m going to be working on to get running again
    does it run now? That would be the first thing to make happen, get it running and find out if the engine is in good condition or work is required...better to know it works before starting to invest in 'niceties', or wannahaves'. Get it going and ride it, then figure out what you want. Got title for it?

For your original question;
    Is 200 wide enough? Guessin' you already researched this:
    ..."run a 180/200mm Wide Tire on your Custom Frame or Modified Stock Frame (or Swingarm) WITHOUT the need to offset the motor or the use of a jack shaft."
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 79Josh81
      • Jan 2019

Thanks for the reply. The bike does not run yet but it will. It’s in decent shape but the PO basically cut out the old wiring harness for unknown reasons so I need to rewire it, go through the carbs, and do all of the usual checks...etc.

As for the 200 mm tire, that kit would work and yes I have seen it. My question for people who have used that kit is what wheel(s) have people used it in the past that’ll work for the kit and will it work with the standard weld-on hardtails for the x650. Basically I’d like to hear from people on what the exact components they’ve used to make the wide tire happen on an XS and their experience with that set-up. Example would be: “I used a Harley rear wheel off a such an such bike with a TC bros hardtail and the kit mentioned above.”
      Last edited by 79Josh81; 01-13-2019, 4:49 AM.

Comment

• Luky
        • May 2018

Originally posted by 79Josh81
        Hey everyone, I’m new here. I’ve been on xs650.com forums for a while and thought it couldn’t hurt to link up with some folks on here for some advice as well since the other forum has really helped me out a lot over the past few months. This is a question I also posted in the other forum and figured a “chop” forum might know a thing or two about choppin’ bikes as well.

So the title says it all. I recently purchased a beat up 81 xs650 special II that I’m going to be working on to get running again. My ultimate goal is another bobber or chopper build but i’ve never prepared the frame for a wide rear tire which i’m really wanting to eventually do with this one.

I’ve researched some and I’m assuming i’ll need a wider rear wheel obviously, jack shaft or offset sprocket kit, and potentially a wider weld on hardtail.

For the guys who have done this, what route do you recommend and where and what parts should I use to make this happen as easy as possible. Also, what is the widest tire you’ve been able to fit on a standard weld on hardtail for the XS (like a TC bros or Voodoo) when using a jack shaft or offset sprocket kit?
        Use a 200mm wide tire on a 5.5 inch Harley style wheel.
        Many of the weld on hard tail frames are set up for 200mm rear tires.
        With that size rear wheel the bike will still handle reasonably well.

If you go larger you will have many problems. It will not handle very well.
        Like when you pull off the road many times the roadbed slants down.
        The bike will want to go down but not up the slope!

Also you will need to go to a 1 inch axle for a 240mm rear tire.
        The brake parts will need to be fitted for a 1 inch axle too.
        Engine will require a special countershaft sprocket (front sprocket)
        that is wider.

Stay with a 180mm-200mm rear tire with 5.5 inch harley style rear wheel. Life will be easier.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Guess in your research you've seen this too:

Thread: Is Gary Poh still doing wide tire kits?
          I've begun a bobber build, custom built frame, going to run a 200mm rear. Is Gary still doing his offset sprocket kits? I've contacted him thru his site but no response. Maybe he's busy? I really don't want to have to resort to a jack shaft. Thanks
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 79Josh81
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Luky
            Use a 200mm wide tire on a 5.5 inch Harley style wheel.

Stay with a 180mm-200mm rear tire with 5.5 inch harley style rear wheel. Life will be easier.
            Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• 79Josh81
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
              Guess in your research you've seen this too:

Thread: Is Gary Poh still doing wide tire kits?
              http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52012
              Literally just read that thread about an hour ago. Doesn’t look like the guy is around anymore huh?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Don't know, try a PM

Comment

• 79Josh81
                  • Jan 2019

Don't know, try a PM
                  Is he a member here?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Was..is still?

Comment

• Luky
                      • May 2018

Thanks for the advice!
                      You are welcome.

Comment

• 79Josh81
                        • Jan 2019

Was..is still?
                        I'm asking if you know which member he is on here (if he is on here) so I could PM him. I'd send a PM but I don't even know who I'm looking for yet. lol

Comment

• 79Josh81
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Luky
                          Hey Luky, how do you get a 5.5 harley wheel and axle size to work with an xs650 weld-on hardtail with 20mm axle plates?

Comment

• Luky
                            • May 2018

Hey Luky, how do you get a 5.5 harley wheel and axle size to work with an xs650 weld-on hardtail with 20mm axle plates?
                            The 5.5 inch Harley style wheel will have a 3/4 inch axle. That is .750 thousandths.
                            Frame axle hole is 20mm=.787 inches on the hard tail. That is almost .004 thousandths larger. Divide that in half and it is less than.002 thousandths each side.
                            Look at .002 on a set of vernier calipers. Nothing to worry about. It is about the width of a human hair.
                            A piece of copy paper is .006 thousandths thick. See what I mean?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

That's a 37 thou difference...one option; how about changing bearings to 20mm and getting a 20mm axle?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;