Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuprltvCnspircy
    • Jul 2013

39mm Front End Axle Issues

I bought a narrow 39mm front end, but it was missing a few pieces. I bought an axle that matched the width and ID dimensions of each axle tube. It fits perfectly and very snug, but on the larger end (the carb side), it wont fully tighten with the pinch bolt and slides through too much towards the nut side. On the nut side when the axle is fully pushed through, the nut and washer have way too much space to properly tighten the axle. Am I missing something? I've never had a front end this "new". I've tried to look up schematics to see what I'm missing but I can't figure it out. I'd appreciate any wisdom. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	1344335

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	1344336

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	1344337

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	1344338
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Not sure why the pinch is loose
    But you may just be jumping the gun by installing without the spacers...

Comment

• MOTher
      • Sep 2012

Your problem isn't just the 39 mm forks, it's a combination of those and the drum brake front wheel. You may have to have an axle custom made. I'm in the house in my pajamas now so I can't measure the diameter of the pinch side of the axle you'll need. If I recall, the bearings in that wheel are 17 mm (.669") at the axle, and the hole in the non pinch side slider is 3/4", so you'll have to have a couple sleeves made up to make it work. Custom axle, the right size spacer (probably also custom made, I don't know anyone who stocks various sizes of 17 mm spacers.) to center the wheel in the forks, and sleeves for the left side slider. It's not gonna be a bolt-on deal.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Did you get the right axle? Is it 3/4"? I see there are a couple different lengths for the 39mm fork depending on year;
        9-5/16" long for '73-77 FX, '84-'87 FXR, then 9-1/2" for '77-'83 FX, all at 3/4" diameter. Could it be newer lower legs - metric?
        Fork legs straight - triple trees not bent?
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MOTher
          • Sep 2012

TriNortchopz, fork is 39 mm so it's '87 or later The years you listed all use 35 mm forks. And he's using a hamburger drum wheel, which has 17 mm bearings.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by MOTher
            TriNortchopz, fork is 39 mm so it's '87 or later The years you listed all use 35 mm forks. And he's using a hamburger drum wheel, which has 17 mm bearings.
            Thanks, good to know; guess these guys got a typo in their listing:
            39mm Forks FX 1973-1977
            Biker Direct is your one stop motorcycle parts superstore for quality aftermarket Harley-Davidson & Custom motorcycles parts and accessories. Wide selection of harley mirrors, harley handlebars, harley grips, harley footpegs, harley exhaust, harley gas tanks/caps, harley air cleaners, harley chain guards, harley license plate frames, harley cables, harley rotors, harley calipers, harley derby covers, harley point covers, harley gauges, harley speedometers, harley hand controls, harley brake and clutch levers, saddlebags, primary covers, seats, risers, transmission, pulleys, harley forks, luggage racks, oil tanks and other Harley accessories.
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• SuprltvCnspircy
              • Jul 2013

Here we go. So, with this drum wheel, I went and got new bearings to match this axle. Additionally, I did what I could to get an axle that would fit the shock tubes. My micrometer might not be 100%, but its pretty damn close, hopefully enough to give an idea of how close everything is. Lastly, I did build spacers for this axle wheel combo, you can see them below.

Spacers

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1307625

Shock Tube - Big Side

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1307626

Axle - Big Side

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	1307627

Shock Tube - Small Side

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1307628

Axle - Small Side

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	1307629

Continued below...
              Last edited by SuprltvCnspircy; 01-10-2019, 6:31 PM.

Comment

• SuprltvCnspircy
                • Jul 2013

Wheel Bearing

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1307630

Axle Length - 10"

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1307631

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

You need a spacer between the shoulder on the axle and your backing plate, wide enough to move the axle to the right in the fork. Then you can pull the nut tight on the left side as it should be. The spacer you need should be the same diameter as the head of the axle, or a couple of thou smaller, and a light press on the axle, to make assembly of the wheel easier. I see this all the time with this mix and match stuff.

Jim

Comment

• SuprltvCnspircy
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
                    You need a spacer between the shoulder on the axle and your backing plate, wide enough to move the axle to the right in the fork. Then you can pull the nut tight on the left side as it should be. The spacer you need should be the same diameter as the head of the axle, or a couple of thou smaller, and a light press on the axle, to make assembly of the wheel easier. I see this all the time with this mix and match stuff.

Jim
                    Are you referring to the spacer that also centers the wheel between the tubes?

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by SuprltvCnspircy
                      Are you referring to the spacer that also centers the wheel between the tubes?
                      No, that is the left side spacer ONLY, the nut side. When you pull the axle nut up tight, it pulls the wheel assembly against the left fork leg, and the left spacer sets the position of the wheel. Right spacer, if any, or the shoulder of the axle, sets the position of the AXLE in the assembly. Right fork leg just clamps to the axle wherever it falls.

Jim

Comment

• SuprltvCnspircy
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
                        No, that is the left side spacer ONLY, the nut side. When you pull the axle nut up tight, it pulls the wheel assembly against the left fork leg, and the left spacer sets the position of the wheel. Right spacer, if any, or the shoulder of the axle, sets the position of the AXLE in the assembly. Right fork leg just clamps to the axle wherever it falls.

Jim
                        JB, thank you very much for your help. I now completely get what you were saying because I found the right axle in my garage.

The left axle is what I was trying to use, the right one is exactly as you explained. Has a wider shoulder section to center the wheel. The only other difference is the diameter, but a few bearings will fix that quickly.

Name:	2971D84A-0B81-4416-8E1C-8D6F7A29127B.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1307681

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

• Sky
                          • Aug 2009

That's what I said! Lol
                          Need the right (left) spacer...

Looks like you got it figured out, the hive mind is a great thing!!
                          Think AI will be using our collective knowledge to build choppers in the future?

Comment

• SuprltvCnspircy
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sky
                            That's what I said! Lol
                            Need the right (left) spacer...

Looks like you got it figured out, the hive mind is a great thing!!
                            Think AI will be using our collective knowledge to build choppers in the future?
                            Hahaha, I get your comment now, I was just thinking you were saying an additional spacer. This axel only works because it's the same diameter as the axel itself. Thanks for your input. Honestly, it would be great to have a collective mind for this stuff. Thats why I wanted to update the thread, so then next goon with the same problem can see the difference in the axles.

Comment

• Sky
                              • Aug 2009

Credit where credit is due,
                              Jb, Tri, and Mot spelled it out better than I did, for sure.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;