Shovelhead not wanting to run right. Only fires on one side of coil....advice?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chopandbob
    • Feb 2012

Shovelhead not wanting to run right. Only fires on one side of coil....advice?

What's going one everyone, having an issue with my shovelhead.... some back story.
    Picked up this 80 shovel a few months ago and it's been a problem from day one. Fucking love it! Fried a regulator on the way home from picking it up cause I just had to ride it home...so fixed that and was riding to work and no fire from the front coil. Got her home and replaced the coil, points system and nothing. Shes timed and fires up very easy but only on one plug. Cam and advance are sending the signal to fire on both cylinders but it's only firing out one plug wire. You can swap the wires on the coil to the plug and she'll fire up either cylinder. Plugs and wires good, coil good, points condenser good, timed, battery charged...I'm stumped.

Also not my first bike. Daily rider is a full faring kz1000. Kz1000 chop on the back burner, and a rad xs850 chop I just finished. I'm no stranger to bikes in any aspect. It's all I ever been into was bikes. But this one has got me.....any help would be awesome!!

Thanks D
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by chopandbob
    Fried a regulator on the way home from picking it up cause I just had to ride it home...so fixed that and was riding to work and no fire from the front coil. Got her home and replaced the coil, points system and nothing. Shes timed and fires up very easy but only on one plug. Cam and advance are sending the signal to fire on both cylinders but it's only firing out one plug wire. You can swap the wires on the coil to the plug and she'll fire up either cylinder. Plugs and wires good, coil good, points condenser good, timed, battery charged...I'm stumped.
    What does having to ride it home have to do with frying the regulator?

More info needed..... So you have two coils???? You said it wasn't firing on the front coil.....

Comment

• chopandbob
      • Feb 2012

Hey bud thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't think the fried regulator had anything to do with my current issue other than it
      being the start of my issues. Ment to say stop firing on front cylinder. It's only one coil. But only getting output from one
      spark plug wire. Wire from points to coil good, sends the signal to fire both but only to one. Not both.

Comment

• chopandbob
        • Feb 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181231-104349_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	1307233

Comment

• tzienlee
          • Apr 2024

well fit a new coil,.... they do go tit's up, fuck all lasts forever

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

You can swap the wires on the coil to the plug and she'll fire up either cylinder
            What is the coil ya got? Sounds like one side is dead. Did you use your ohm meter to test it?
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

It's sounds like the coil....... Try that first then get back with us....

Comment

• chopandbob
                • Feb 2012

Coil ohm out at 13,000 across plug terminals. Smaller terminals ohm at 3.0. From bottom plug terminal to either smaller terminal shows 13, move to the top and its dead... plug wires at 7000 for the front and 2500 for the rear. Looks like a dead coil right out of the box

Comment

• chopandbob
                  • Feb 2012

I'll get some new parts on order, fuck thanks guys

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                    • Apr 2010

Coils toast

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Get a spare and hang it on the wall if you're keeping the bike. Every HD owner should have complete spare ignition and charging systems ready to go because those parts will eventually be used. That also leaves them available for "swaptronics" troubleshooting.

Solidmount frames vibrate and coils fail internally. Perfectly normal and worth remembering.

Comment

• DustyDave
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

I'd probably swap the coils and see if the problem moved with the coil. Cuz I don't got nearly enough patience to wait on a spare to arrive,
                        Dusty
                        Driving that train, high on cocaine
                        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DustyDave
                          I'd probably swap the coils and see if the problem moved with the coil. Cuz I don't got nearly enough patience to wait on a spare to arrive,
                          Dusty
                          Dusty I think he only has one coil....

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

When that style coil only produces spark out one coil tower that indicates internal coil failure since there's no external fault which can cause that problem. The non-firing side of the secondary windings is still in circuit but arcing internally instead of across the spark plug since electricity follows the path of least resistance.

OP could swap in a Kawasaki coil to test but I wouldn't disturb it if it were mine.

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

C,

If yer running points, you need a 5 ohm coil, not 3 ohm. With a 3 ohm coil, it will run but the points won't last (too much current).

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;