Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pete808
    • Apr 2017

Needed to figure out a rear master cylinder. Used one from a modern sportster, hopefully I can make that work, it fits nicely under the trans and is discreet. Have to trim and weld the bracket, also need to weld the bungs for the tank, but I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld so I'll have to figure that out.
    Attached Files

Comment

• drohagan
      • Oct 2016

From my understanding, that master cylinder wont work well with the hydraulic drum unless you have an in-line residual pressure valve as well. Just a heads up.

Comment

• pete808
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by drohagan
        From my understanding, that master cylinder wont work well with the hydraulic drum unless you have an in-line residual pressure valve as well. Just a heads up.
        well shit, I didn't know that. thanks for the heads up. Looks like Im going to have to figure something out.

Comment

• pete808
          • Apr 2017

which seat?
          Attached Files

Comment

• drohagan
            • Oct 2016

Welcome, went through the same thing myself. The old lockheed wagner master cylinder have the pressure relief valve built into it.

Comment

• Vinson
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by pete808
              which seat?
              K and Q.

To elaborate on drohagan's post. The juice drum needs an MC with a residual pressure valve (like a Wagner) otherwise it's going to try to fully disengage after use and you'll be in a position where you're having to double pump your brakes to rebuild pressure in the line.
              Last edited by Vinson; 04-16-2020, 7:08 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• pete808
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by drohagan
                Welcome, went through the same thing myself. The old lockheed wagner master cylinder have the pressure relief valve built into it.
                ok thanks. I will get to work on that this week. I should of asked this question first before I spent 2 hours making the rod and figuring out the placement. I'm a novice assembler, so I have basically no clue what I am doing with limited tools and skill.

Comment

• Hoghead
                  • Jun 2015

which seat?
                  I like the solo seat, but you need to make sure those springs sit straight and upright. I've had them break, mine are a special high rate to support my 280 lbs ...Ultimately, try to make the position work for you. It can be done without looking like yer favourite recliner at home...
                  The stepped seat is cool- does your OL wanna come along? Both my rigids are solo cause the OL only rides pillion on my FXR and RK now.

Food for thought if you end up using a wagner m/c -you can mount the peg through the forward mount hole -see the pic below, notice also the seat springs position. This position is dead comfortable for me, but we are all different. Make sure at mock up stage, as changing finished stuff really sucks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1317475
                  Last edited by Hoghead; 04-17-2020, 2:51 AM. Reason: amend

Comment

• pete808
                    • Apr 2017

Not much going on. Got a new air cleaner from a company called Trident Cycle Supply I found on Instagram. Nice quality product, also figured out the shifter and mid peg, saw it on an Australian companies feed when they were showing some David Mann paintings that had similar set ups. I had some time and went to my friends house to do a couple things on my 63 that he has at his place because I don't have room for it in my garage. Put tanks on it from the 58 I sold, the new owner sold me the tanks back since they are 59-60.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• pete808
                      • Apr 2017

I've never tried welding before but I borrowed my friends welder the other day and made an attempt to weld the gas tank bungs and a bracket for the master cylinder. Not the best looking but they seam to be holding well. I will practice making cleaner welds but for now it'll do. I had to improvise with the tools and parts I have to make the break linkage but it worked out ok. I didn't have the correct disks to clean up the tabs I cut off on the frame so it looks a little trashed but the tank will cover it up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

which seat?
                        Ride both and choose the least painful. If you have a long inseam the KQ may be better and you can add a gel pack or more foam if you like. Springs on the sprung seat are starting off so low they won't do much. Longer springs would sack to a reasonable height when compressed.

If the fender isn't reinforced (at the mounts at least) I've seen them crack when the owner packs a passenger.

To practice welding effectively make a bunch of long beads (builds muscle memory) on clean scrap. We had students do at least 6" long beads parallel and close together AKA "pad welding". Another good trick is to practice each new joint you're gonna do on scrap first and if in doubt, cut it apart to ensure good penetration. Setting your amps on scrap and never the work is the gold standard for getting that right.

Flap discs are your friends and your local welding supply has plenty 60 or 80 grit is good for general work and because they polish as they go they don't leave tracks and gouges like grinding rocks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;