CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Long time with no progress on this thing. With the COVID19 thing going on I have had a lot of time on my hands since I am home all day. I made some small progress on this one. Got some mid controls from a friend and some new bars he made, found a rear drum, changed the bars and thinking about changing the seat too. Started some front yard painting today, not my expertise but I don't want the paint to look too clean since the rest of the bike is beat up so I am just spray painting it and not worrying about imperfections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 coats.jpg   rear drum.jpg   primer fender.jpg   kingqueen.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I like it. Looks like you've been having fun

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pete808 View Post
    Its a 1976 CB550 SuperSport. One of my projects that I have not touched in years, along with my 47EL that's in there somewhere too. Hoepfully I can get to them soon. Ideally I need to finish my 47 UL this week, then this Shovel disaster, then the 47 El and finally the CB, but I just bought another one yesterday so these plans might change again. If anyone is ever in the area and wants to come help me work on some of these let me know, free place near the beach to stay for helping out lol.
    Shit, I would take you up on that in a heartbeat if I could afford a way to get there. Stowaway on a freighter maybe?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by markwade74 View Post
    I like it. Looks like you've been having fun
    Thanks. Just trying to catch up on all these projects while I'm working from home. I have a lot of stuff that needs to be done on a bunch of bikes, it's stressing me out more then work lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks. Just trying to catch up on all these projects while I'm working from home. I have a lot of stuff that needs to be done on a bunch of bikes, it's stressing me out more then work lol.
    Looking pretty damn cool for a spare parts bike.

Really like the splattered paint job on the tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't have the patience to paint. Spent 3 days on it trying to make it look good and then on my final coat my stands tip over and the tins fall and get messed up. Completely messed everything up. I sanded some of the parts down and just finished it up. Not the way I really wanted it to come out but with the frame being beat up and the rest of the bike kinda rough it doesn't look out of place. Here are some pics after I dropped the tins before sanding. Once I sanded and cleared it I ended up burning through the clear in two spots when polishing so that parts sucks too. I have not painted before so now I know what to expect in the future. I mounted up the carb and air cleaner, although the backing plate I have for the hair cleaner is for a Sure E or G carb and I have a Super B o it so I need to fix that too. Small steps forward, have to mount the tank on this week and figure out the shifter side pegs. Hopefully I can finish this in the next 2 weeks and move on to the EL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails right.jpg   left.jpg   dropped tank.jpg   droppped fender.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't have the patience to paint. Spent 3 days on it trying to make it look good and then on my final coat my stands tip over and the tins fall and get messed up. Completely messed everything up. I sanded some of the parts down and just finished it up. Not the way I really wanted it to come out but with the frame being beat up and the rest of the bike kinda rough it doesn't look out of place. Here are some pics after I dropped the tins before sanding. Once I sanded and cleared it I ended up burning through the clear in two spots when polishing so that parts sucks too. I have not painted before so now I know what to expect in the future. I mounted up the carb and air cleaner, although the backing plate I have for the hair cleaner is for a Sure E or G carb and I have a Super B o it so I need to fix that too. Small steps forward, have to mount the tank on this week and figure out the shifter side pegs. Hopefully I can finish this in the next 2 weeks and move on to the EL.
    Looks good- finish it, ride it , and when you've time have another go at the paint- it has real nice lines now -sissybar at a clean angle , rear fender following tire, all that stuff that separates a good job from bad.Paint is easier to fix...

Get Adobe Flash player

Installed an internal fork stop today that I bought from a guy on Instagram that posts a ton parts. Also got a kickstand mounting plate from Prism Supply since I am running mid controls now and needed a way to mount it. Decent product but the spacing on the holes was off by a little bit and was a little irritating. Rebuilt a star hub I had laying around that I will have my friend lace an 18 inch rim to later this week. Ordered a couple other small parts I need including a new chain. Hopefully will have them in next week. I cut off some tabs on the lower triple tree and have to clean it up later this week at work. I don't have many tools or space at my new house so everything takes me twice as long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fork stop.jpg   tree.jpg   kick stand.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Bung King makes a kickstand plate that fits perfect.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tater66 View Post
    Bung King makes a kickstand plate that fits perfect.
    Thanks, I just checked their site. Should of got it there, its almost half the price too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Needed to figure out a rear master cylinder. Used one from a modern sportster, hopefully I can make that work, it fits nicely under the trans and is discreet. Have to trim and weld the bracket, also need to weld the bungs for the tank, but I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld so I'll have to figure that out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3602.jpg   IMG_3601.jpg  

From my understanding, that master cylinder wont work well with the hydraulic drum unless you have an in-line residual pressure valve as well. Just a heads up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by drohagan View Post
    From my understanding, that master cylinder wont work well with the hydraulic drum unless you have an in-line residual pressure valve as well. Just a heads up.
    well shit, I didn't know that. thanks for the heads up. Looks like Im going to have to figure something out.

Get Adobe Flash player

which seat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3625.jpg   IMG_3626.jpg  

Welcome, went through the same thing myself. The old lockheed wagner master cylinder have the pressure relief valve built into it.

Get Adobe Flash player

which seat?
    K and Q.

To elaborate on drohagan's post. The juice drum needs an MC with a residual pressure valve (like a Wagner) otherwise it's going to try to fully disengage after use and you'll be in a position where you're having to double pump your brakes to rebuild pressure in the line.
    Last edited by Vinson; 04-16-2020 at 7:08 AM. Reason: Clarity

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by drohagan View Post
    Welcome, went through the same thing myself. The old lockheed wagner master cylinder have the pressure relief valve built into it.
    ok thanks. I will get to work on that this week. I should of asked this question first before I spent 2 hours making the rod and figuring out the placement. I'm a novice assembler, so I have basically no clue what I am doing with limited tools and skill.

Get Adobe Flash player

which seat?
    I like the solo seat, but you need to make sure those springs sit straight and upright. I've had them break, mine are a special high rate to support my 280 lbs ...Ultimately, try to make the position work for you. It can be done without looking like yer favourite recliner at home...
    The stepped seat is cool- does your OL wanna come along? Both my rigids are solo cause the OL only rides pillion on my FXR and RK now.

Food for thought if you end up using a wagner m/c -you can mount the peg through the forward mount hole -see the pic below, notice also the seat springs position. This position is dead comfortable for me, but we are all different. Make sure at mock up stage, as changing finished stuff really sucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pan.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	102239
    Last edited by Hoghead; 04-17-2020 at 2:51 AM. Reason: amend

Get Adobe Flash player

Not much going on. Got a new air cleaner from a company called Trident Cycle Supply I found on Instagram. Nice quality product, also figured out the shifter and mid peg, saw it on an Australian companies feed when they were showing some David Mann paintings that had similar set ups. I had some time and went to my friends house to do a couple things on my 63 that he has at his place because I don't have room for it in my garage. Put tanks on it from the 58 I sold, the new owner sold me the tanks back since they are 59-60.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 63 pan.jpg   63.jpg   shifter.jpg   aircleaner.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I've never tried welding before but I borrowed my friends welder the other day and made an attempt to weld the gas tank bungs and a bracket for the master cylinder. Not the best looking but they seam to be holding well. I will practice making cleaner welds but for now it'll do. I had to improvise with the tools and parts I have to make the break linkage but it worked out ok. I didn't have the correct disks to clean up the tabs I cut off on the frame so it looks a little trashed but the tank will cover it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3643.jpg   IMG_3644.jpg   IMG_3852.jpg   IMG_3853.jpg  

Share This