CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default S&S shovel vs. Pan flywheels

Since I live overseas itís a bit of a pain to call s&s up to ask the question. And they donít seem big on answering emails.

But the thing is I just got a Ď63 that had the original engine blow up in the 90ís and the guy just replaced it with a alternator shovelhead from s&s.

Iíve been looking at my options what to do in order to put a panhead into it.
    One option I thought of is to swap out the cases for a set of generator cases from s&s.
    Does anyone know if that can be done with the shovel flywheels?

I know they sell this combo of left alternator case with a right generator case, but donít really want to go that route.

Most of my litersture is boxed up somewhere so I canít look into what the difference is between the left side of the flywheels/casing between the pan and alt. shovel and just donít remember exactly.

Anyone that can shed some light before I just rule this route out completely and find me a pan to build or what not.

Andri

As far as the flywheel assembly goes, all you have to change is the sprocket shaft (it's a different length ) and then you can transplant your wheels into a '63 pan case (or similar replacement case, as long as it has Timken sprocket shaft bearings ).

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

They are different kinda.... It wouldn't be worth tearing down a running motor to scavenge parts..... Did you happen to get the blown up motor????

Get Adobe Flash player

No, didn’t get the other engine with it.
    It was picked up by a guy after it blew up, but he ain’t giving it up.

Being able to use parts from this engine to build a pan sounds great, but probably isn’t.
    Probably easier to just find an non titled pan engine, go through and sell this s&s engine off.

It’s a bitch that it had been swapped out when it did, but I got the bike cheap.

I just needed a bit of convincing that it wouldn’t be worth using this engine to build a pan and rather just get a new one.

Get Adobe Flash player

The engine you remove will sell for more as a runner. Don't omit taking a video of it running before pulling the old engine.

Get Adobe Flash player

That’s a good point. Had to clean the carb since it hadn’t ran for close to ten years. I’ll take a video once it’s up and running again and post it for sale locally.

Next up is to find a pan engine.

Share This