Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andri
    • Mar 2012

S&S shovel vs. Pan flywheels

Since I live overseas it’s a bit of a pain to call s&s up to ask the question. And they don’t seem big on answering emails.

But the thing is I just got a ‘63 that had the original engine blow up in the 90’s and the guy just replaced it with a alternator shovelhead from s&s.

I’ve been looking at my options what to do in order to put a panhead into it.
    One option I thought of is to swap out the cases for a set of generator cases from s&s.
    Does anyone know if that can be done with the shovel flywheels?

I know they sell this combo of left alternator case with a right generator case, but don’t really want to go that route.

Most of my litersture is boxed up somewhere so I can’t look into what the difference is between the left side of the flywheels/casing between the pan and alt. shovel and just don’t remember exactly.

Anyone that can shed some light before I just rule this route out completely and find me a pan to build or what not.

Andri
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

As far as the flywheel assembly goes, all you have to change is the sprocket shaft (it's a different length ) and then you can transplant your wheels into a '63 pan case (or similar replacement case, as long as it has Timken sprocket shaft bearings ).

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

They are different kinda.... It wouldn't be worth tearing down a running motor to scavenge parts..... Did you happen to get the blown up motor????

Comment

• andri
        • Mar 2012

No, didn’t get the other engine with it.
        It was picked up by a guy after it blew up, but he ain’t giving it up.

Being able to use parts from this engine to build a pan sounds great, but probably isn’t.
        Probably easier to just find an non titled pan engine, go through and sell this s&s engine off.

It’s a bitch that it had been swapped out when it did, but I got the bike cheap.

I just needed a bit of convincing that it wouldn’t be worth using this engine to build a pan and rather just get a new one.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

The engine you remove will sell for more as a runner. Don't omit taking a video of it running before pulling the old engine.

Comment

• andri
            • Mar 2012

That’s a good point. Had to clean the carb since it hadn’t ran for close to ten years. I’ll take a video once it’s up and running again and post it for sale locally.

Next up is to find a pan engine.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;