Any opinions on riding with progressive lenses?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deathbededitionclothingco
    • Aug 2016

Any opinions on riding with progressive lenses?

Hey all!

It's time to admit that my eyes are getting old and that I should be using progressive lenses in my glasses. I wanted to check with the forum here and see who comfortably/confidently rides with progressive lenses.

My concerns are over depth perception and accurately seeing and judging where hazards are while riding at speed. I understand they are really expensive lenses and would hate to spend the cash only to find out that it's pretty sketchy riding with progressives.

I do sometimes wear contacts, which are perfect for riding because I can throw on any old pair of sunglasses when I ride but I would love to have just one pair of glasses and not have to worry about using readers with contacts.

Any thoughts? Or am I over thinking this? Thanks for your input!

-Chris
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

I've been riding with progressives for a long time now. My suggestion, wear them doing normal non-motorized stuff for a few days first. It is amazing how quick the body adapts to them, but it does have to adapt.

I love them for the most part, gives me the ability to work on small stuff close at hand as well as read road signs at a distance. To look down at the speedo and have it in focus is awesome. Because I work on a computer most days it is a bit tricky to get the transition point just right ( yes there is a transition point even on progressives. The pair I am wearing right now have the transition point a little high so I find myself tilting my head back from time to time. Once the new year flips over I am due to get a new pair.

If you need them you are going to love the freedom they give you.

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I personally hate progressive lenses especially when riding or driving or operating equipment. I need the sudden change of a lined bifocal to keep me from making terrible mistakes buy slipping into magnification with out realising it. I'm old enough that I don't care if people see the bifocal. I usually ride with bifocal sunglasses, I have used prescription tinted bifocal glasses over the years but my eyes are good enough at distance to just pass the license requirements and I'm cheap. A friend always rode in photo grays, which I hate so I suppose it comes back to pleasing your self.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Aug 2016

Thanks for chiming in, DoomBuggy. I also work at the computer everyday and rely heavily on my phone for business when I'm away from the office. So the transition point you're talking about definitely becomes another concern!

Comment

• Aug 2016

Thanks, DustyDave! My eyes are also "just passing!"
          I honestly haven't given too much fault to traditional bifocals. But if need be, it's definitely something to consider.

Comment

• 1956ford
            • May 2015

I ride with them sometimes. My speedo is blurry without them. My real problem is I,m an auto mechanic and working under the dash of a car tilting your head trying to focus on a blend door actuator or wire color is a pain.
            Years ago I got metal shavings in my eye. After they got the shavings out , I had about a 20 mile ride home with an eye patch on one eye. That was a creepy ride home.
            You will be fine.

Comment

• DustyDave
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by 1956ford
              I ride with them sometimes. My speedo is blurry without them. My real problem is I,m an auto mechanic and working under the dash of a car tilting your head trying to focus on a blend door actuator or wire color is a pain.
              Years ago I got metal shavings in my eye. After they got the shavings out , I had about a 20 mile ride home with an eye patch on one eye. That was a creepy ride home.
              You will be fine.
              When I still worked under dashes I wore glasses that the eye doctor called double d They had my prescription bifocal at the bottom and one prescription stronger at the top. They worked great for dash work. They cost the same as a trifocal high but not insane. The only problem was getting the grinders to put the strong lens at top sometimes took 3 tries before they would grind them as prescribed.
              Dusty

Comment

• DustyDave
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by deathbededitionclothingco
                Thanks, DustyDave! My eyes are also "just passing!"
                I honestly haven't given too much fault to traditional bifocals. But if need be, it's definitely something to consider.
                Third time I ground the end of my finger I decided that transitions weren't for me. Try a pair of bifocal wraparound sunglasses from fleebay for less than $15 I've been using them for riding glasses for years.
                Dusty

Comment

• Aug 2016

Originally posted by 1956ford
                  You will be fine.
                  Yeah, that sounds like a sketchy ride!
                  Thanks!

Comment

• Aug 2016

Originally posted by DustyDave
                    Third time I ground the end of my finger I decided that transitions weren't for me. Try a pair of bifocal wraparound sunglasses from fleebay for less than $15 I've been using them for riding glasses for years.
                    Dusty

I'll look into those, thanks!

Comment

• BigDaveL
                      • Oct 2018

Took me about a week to get use to them but its been a few years now and dont even think about it anymore , They are fine for me

Dave

Comment

• rudyod
                        • Apr 2013

Hey deathbed. I had LASIK about 8 years ago to fix my near-sightedness but it doesn’t fix the up-close issue that comes with age (presbyopia). I normally ride with regular sunglasses but I would have to have my progressives or readers with me for when I reached my destination if I wanted to read a menu or whatever. After forgetting them many times I finally broke down and and got a pair of progressives with transitions (the lenses that darken outside) so I have everything I need in one pair of glasses. Is it ideal? No. But it’s where I’m at so I deal with it.

Comment

• 10scDust
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rudyod
                          Hey deathbed. I had LASIK about 8 years ago to fix my near-sightedness but it doesn’t fix the up-close issue that comes with age (presbyopia). I normally ride with regular sunglasses but I would have to have my progressives or readers with me for when I reached my destination if I wanted to read a menu or whatever. After forgetting them many times I finally broke down and and got a pair of progressives with transitions (the lenses that darken outside) so I have everything I need in one pair of glasses. Is it ideal? No. But it’s where I’m at so I deal with it.
                          I do the same, never had Lazik though.
                          But, with my prescription, I tend to only need the glasses at night, it seems my vision a little worse in those conditions.

Comment

• Aug 2016

Originally posted by BigDaveL
                            Took me about a week to get use to them but its been a few years now and dont even think about it anymore , They are fine for me

Dave
                            Thanks Dave!
                            I found a pair of progressive readers at the drug store and have been driving in them to get the feel for it. It doesnt seem too bad at all.

Comment

• Aug 2016

Originally posted by rudyod
                              Rudyod, I think the "dealiong with it" part or rather admitting that my eyes have gotten to this point, is the hardest!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;