Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToddW260
    • Feb 2014

Kipa Carburetor -

I have been looking to install a Mikuni HSR42 carburetor on my 883 when I go to the 1250 Hammer kit. When I was checking the price on amazon, I saw this Kipa carb. They list it as being a replacement for the Mikuni HSR42.
    I have not been able to find any reviews or info beyond the amazon listing. Have any of you tried this carb out?

• WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

I haven't tried it, but I am immediately leery of any product that labels itself as brand x "type" or "replacement." It is usually a chinese knock off with no quality control and just enough differences to make parts availability a pain in the ass. You are already spending the money on the 1250 hammer kit, don't cheap out on the carb. I did some searching, and could only find listings for them on Amazon and e-bay, and none of them listing country it was manufactured.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

...none of them listing country it was manufactured.
      I think it's Korea; one KIPA I found is: Korea invention Promotion Association. Lots of products including carbs for Briggs & Stratton engines, Ford engines...

another is a packaging company in Slovakia.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

I'd run the stock carb until I had the cash for a Mikuni if that was an issue rather than test a mystery carb on a freshly built engine!

Buy once, cry once. I'm a firm believer in letting other people be beta testers.

Comment

• therottenjohnny
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by ToddW260
          I have been looking to install a Mikuni HSR42 carburetor on my 883 when I go to the 1250 Hammer kit. When I was checking the price on amazon, I saw this Kipa carb. They list it as being a replacement for the Mikuni HSR42.
          I have not been able to find any reviews or info beyond the amazon listing. Have any of you tried this carb out?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFJQ6RN...f-836b3e8a828e
          I just bought one. Thought it was a remanufactured mikuni for some reason. It's going on a 96 S&S sidewinder shovel head. I'll put it on this weekend and let you know.

Comment

• therottenjohnny
            • Jun 2019

Ok if you're still interested I've been running a 45mm Kipa on a 96ci Shovelhead. I cannot tell the difference between the Kipa and the Mikuni. I had a 42mm Mikuni and replaced it with the 45mm Kipa added a Pingel petcock and my bike is ripping! I have only a few hundred miles on it so far so I can't attest to the longevity of it but so far so good! Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruzer2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	1313542Click image for larger version

ID:	1313542Click image for larger version

ID:	1313542

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Cool! Carbs are normally absurdly overpriced for what they are and their tooling was typically paid for long ago.

Quality is a choice any maker can make so if it works now (meaning they machined it properly) then it should stay good.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Make me a reasonable offer and this one will be yours ..

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Dragstews, if you had to use one carb model for all your carbed HDs, which would it be and why?

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

That's a loaded question if I ever heard one ....

But I gotta say the Keihin CV would be hard to beat ...
                    (Dialed in properly)

.../// https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article...-40-carburetor \\\...

Good Read ^^
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-17-2019, 8:25 PM.

Comment

• gorgeous
                      • Aug 2013

Jesse, Is that a 42mm? Looking for one, don't want to pay retail.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

I'll check today, but do think it's a 40mm .. ??

Comment

• gorgeous
                          • Aug 2013

Ah, I'm looking for an hsr42.

I've got a vintage lectron sitting here that's in great shape, with the branch air cleaner, just can't find anyone to help me figure out how to set the metering rod. Lectron was of no help, just tried to sell me an 800$ carb. It's a cool looking paperweight at this point.

Comment

• therottenjohnny
                            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by farmall
                            Cool! Carbs are normally absurdly overpriced for what they are and their tooling was typically paid for long ago.

Quality is a choice any maker can make so if it works now (meaning they machined it properly) then it should stay good.
                            That's what I'm hoping for! It was installed in upstate New York while I was there working. I'm home in Texas now and took a short ride, but it didn't seem to need to be rejetted for altitude as of yet.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by gorgeous
                              Ah, I'm looking for an hsr42.

I've got a vintage lectron sitting here that's in great shape, with the branch air cleaner, just can't find anyone to help me figure out how to set the metering rod. Lectron was of no help, just tried to sell me an 800$ carb. It's a cool looking paperweight at this point.
                              No joy after searching "lectron metering rod tuning instructions"? I see a shitload of hits including videos.

Found this in seconds which shows instructions.
                              https://manualzz.com/doc/9866667/ Hit the print icon at bottom right then "print to file" per whatever browser you're using (I'm on Firefox) to save to disk as .pdf .

You'll see fewer adverts by running https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/ or other adblocker when on such sites.
                              Last edited by farmall; 11-21-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;