X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Medina
    • Apr 2024

Blown head gasket?

04 shadow vlx600
    Reassembled the scoot today, gassed and fired it up, first time since the chopping started.
    Rear cylinder, top bolt, not drain plug
    Short clip
    WTF

• Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Medina
    04 shadow vlx600
    Reassembled the scoot today, gassed and fired it up, first time since the chopping started.
    Rear cylinder, top bolt, not drain plug
    Short clip
    WTF

https://youtu.be/Lp5BI7bDHc8
    What dose reassembled mean??? It looks like you did something wrong....... We need WAY more info on what you did and didn't do.....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 12-01-2018, 2:01 PM.

Comment

• Medina
      • Apr 2024

yeah, sorry fedex showed up... more parts

chopping frame, seat etc, didn't touch the engine.
      I DID however clip the radiator line from along the carb to the top left side of radiator. Unless I misunderstood one of those tjcustom vids, that line was for warming air to the carb not needed
      like I said, was running before project bob started
      I'm utterly flummoxed

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Medina
        yeah, sorry fedex showed up... more parts

chopping frame, seat etc, didn't touch the engine.
        I DID however clip the radiator line from along the carb to the top left side of radiator. Unless I misunderstood one of those tjcustom vids, that line was for warming air to the carb not needed
        like I said, was running before project bob started
        I'm utterly flummoxed
        When you clipped the radiator line to the carb did you plug it off???

Good luck with chopping a water cooled bike..... It's tough but it can be done...

Comment

• Medina
          • Apr 2024

Yup, clipped it, and its vacuum counterpart, as well as that radiator stub. Those weren't leaking.

Dragged bike out, back flushed system... flushed out that funky floating thermostat housing wtf

Comment

• Medina
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Tattooo

Good luck with chopping a water cooled bike..... It's tough but it can be done...
            thanks, credit goes to you actually. What you said about chopping the water cool is what did it, I've desmogged other bikes, approached it exactly like that-chopping the emissions nonsense.
            Fuck I'm smart.

Went back out and stared at it, fired it up, figured out which way the cooling system flows thru the carb (dam youtube, yeah, cut this, no worries) and studied it a bit.
            I chopped the ENTIRE coolant from head thru carb, back to radiator. A total of about two feet of line, the section that heats up the carb and its return. Less lines, a tad bit cleaner on that path to bobbed.

VERY low pressure thru the lines into the carb, but once it heats up, ESPECIALLY that pressure in the system right before the Tstat opens, the return line fitting to the rad heats, expands and weeps.
            And again when you shut it off, the heat sink cause the systems not circulating

then, the path took it down the fins (behind wires, lines) to the inside upper edge of that bolt, making it LOOK like it was pouring out that bolt (and suspect head gasket)
            Whew. Was really pissing thinking it was the head gasket took a shit coincidently....happens on old bikes when you start fucking around, eh?

Comment

• Luky
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
              When you clipped the radiator line to the carb did you plug it off???

Not a problem.

Comment

• Luky
                • May 2018

It is not a blown head gasket.

But you cannot compress a fluid either.
                Are you just stopping up all of the coolant?

Comment

• Medina
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Luky
                  Are you just stopping up all of the coolant?
                  Not at all.
                  I bypassed that nonsense where the carb is heated with the radiator to decrease emissions, control "icing" and shorten the warm up time, thereby reducing emissions.
                  That entirety was added..I think in the late 90's? Started in Cali, headed East eventually.

I've got bikes for touring, cold days, rain etc, THIS is going to be go to my intown, hop around go to work bobber. The possibility of icing is nil.
                  The coolant still circulates the block, that equalizing crossover pipe, as well as kept the overflow reservoir etc etc

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Luky
                    Not a problem.
                    Not if it has water in it..... I didn't know that's why I asked the question....

Comment

• DustyDave
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

If'm memory serves the water flow was regulated so a little dripping just means that the thermo valve is working and you need to plug the pipe off.
                      Dusty
                      Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;