Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 38ulh
    I like it. Very 70s, I would keep it as is and recapitulate. Something else will break before you have an oiling issue.
    Yep, and this is Real 70s....
    Attached Files

Comment

• MOTher
      • Sep 2012

A lot of guys these days seem to worry a lot about having too much trail and poor slow speed handling. Back in the day, we rode bikes with lots of trail. Sure, the front end wanted to flop at slow speeds, but unless you had really skinny arms or really short narrow handlebars, it wasn't a problem. You got used to it. If you rode every day, the bike still became an extension of the rider, and riding it felt very natural. And, a lot of rake actually makes the bike more stable at higher speeds.

As for oiling, the level of oil in the lower end will rise to the level of the sump standpipe. With a lot of tilt, that may cause the flywheels to ride in a puddle of oil. This is something that might cost you a couple of tenths at the dragstrip, so you'd want to avoid it on a racebike, but on a street bike you won't even notice.

One area where a stance like this could cause problems is that an exaggerated lean when parked will put a lot of strain on your kickstand. I broke one on the bike pictured below, pic taken 1973 I think. I replaced it with another stocker, and ended up selling the bike sometime later without having broken the second one. The bike below had a 10 over fork and 1/2" of rake. (back in the day we didn't call out the rake dimension in degrees, but in the size of the piece we put in the bottom neck webbing after we'd cut the neck from the bottom up and bent it back with a big bar.)

I agree with farmall, if you like it keep it and enjoy, if/when you get bored with it, change it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51in72.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1306567

Comment

• Davestune
        • May 2014

i went down at about 10 miles an hour in front ofa cop in the winter of 79 on my triumph chopper , front wheel got hung up in the trolley tracks in boston LOL
        damn skinny tire chopper

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Davestune
          i went down at about 10 miles an hour in front ofa cop in the winter of 79 on my triumph chopper , front wheel got hung up in the trolley tracks in boston LOL
          damn skinny tire chopper
          That's kinda like eating out a lot lizard after a crackhead gangbang then complaining her panties were the wrong color. Tires ain't saving shit on wet rail and living in the Northeast means you volunteered for a five-minute riding season.

Fortunately, our local representative can assist your final relocation to a place with better weather. You can even bring your trench box in case you romance my former mother in law and don't want to smother beneath a guntslide.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;