Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurtpaskal
    • Dec 2009

'82 Yamaha XJ650 Project

I'm fairly new to the forum, this is my first thread. I've always just followed and read through em all - which by the way has helped alot. There are alot of guys with alot of knowledge on here, so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I just recently purchased an '82 Yamaha XJ 650, they guy was asking $1500 for it, I wrote him a cheque for $800. So I started off strong. I've been looking for an XS650 but it seems like the only ones I can find are on ebay, and there usually south of the border (I'm from Lethbridge, AB, Canada) and shipping costs can get very pricey. When I saw this bike I just had to buy it. The girl gave me some shit, but I just told her a bought it for her. Ya right.

So here's a few questions I got for a project on this bike:

Other then the obvious, the engine, what are some other 'big' differences in regards to the XS and XJ 650?

Are the frames of the XS and XJ the same? I know ardcore choppers and a few others will hardtail the frame for a few hundred bucks.

Are all XJ650 electric starts? No kickstarts? What do I need to do to make the XJ a kickstart? Is it worth installing? Is it possible to kickstart that huge 4 cyl?

What can I do to change it from a shaft drive to a chain drive?

Have you or anyone you know, done a project bike on an XJ? If so show me some pics.

It seems easier to do an XS project rather then the XJ but I got it for a good price and the thing runs very well. It only has 27,000 KM on it as well. Which is roughly 17,000 Miles.

Give me some feedback.

Thanks guys.

Here's some pics the bike:

• djturnz
    • Apr 2010

Damn, it looks clean from here. Chrome looks good.

Lots of bigger bikes had kick starters, so a 650 shouldn't be an issue. Though I have no idea if one could be added. An XS650 is a 2 cylinder, so my guess is that the frames are not similar, but with enough money, anything will fit anywhere. Speaking of money, from what I have read online, shaft to chain swap, you'll need some money for that one.

That said, I have seen some cool shafty chops. I have also seen some swingarm/drive shaft swaps from larger bikes to get added length. There were some threads on clubchopper with guys doing Virago swaps and stuff.

Comment

• Drake93
      • Jun 2010

What you got there is a UJM, a Universal Japanese Motorcycle. All through the seventies into the early eighties, there was so much espionage and copycatting between the four Jap bike brands, the Yamaha XJ, Honda CB, Suzuki GS, an Kawasaki KZ models were nearly identical. Note I say 'nearly'. My Suzuki GS 650 look like almost the same bike. There will be some differences here and there, and you'll always be better off getting parts meant for your Yamaha if possible, but some mixing and matching can be done in a pinch. I say this because there are TONS of resources out there for these bikes, especially the Honds CB's.

Comment

• JASONLOGGINS
        • Mar 2010

I have a project that is shaft driven, I extended the shaft and moved the shocks to the inside. Attached is a pic. Also you have a good start, I have seen a lot of guys hardtail a shaft drive. Just take your time and do it right the first time.
        Attached Files

Comment

• kurtpaskal
          • Dec 2009

Thanks for the info/help guys...I'm gonna let it sit as it until the snow falls, just gonna rip around the world wide web and try and get some ideas until then...I havent seen many XJ650 projects other then the few that you gusy have posted, if you see any more make sure you post 'em...it's always nice to get some inspiration.

Comment

• NaK
            • Aug 2009

I've owned both an xs and an xj. These bikes are not anywhere close to each other. You are gonna have a much harder time making it look better. On a good note though the xj is way faster. I'll try to find a pic of the one and only good looking xj i've ever seen.

Comment

• NaK
              • Aug 2009

Here it is:
              Attached Files

Comment

• Stillen00
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by djturnz
                Damn, it looks clean from here. Chrome looks good.

Lots of bigger bikes had kick starters, so a 650 shouldn't be an issue. Though I have no idea if one could be added. An XS650 is a 2 cylinder, so my guess is that the frames are not similar, but with enough money, anything will fit anywhere. Speaking of money, from what I have read online, shaft to chain swap, you'll need some money for that one.

That said, I have seen some cool shafty chops. I have also seen some swingarm/drive shaft swaps from larger bikes to get added length. There were some threads on clubchopper with guys doing Virago swaps and stuff.
                Where did you find shaft to chain conversions?? I've been looking for one for my XJ but haven't found one yet.

Comment

• WarGhost
                  • Oct 2009

I had one of these sitting in my backyard for a while. Truly thought it was one of the ugliest bikes I'd ever laid eyes on. Nothing, aesthetically, was appealing about it. Especially those wheels! But yours is super clean and really looks nice. It isn't a bike I look at and think "this would be a great platform for a custom project" (and I see them for super, super cheap on CL a lot) but fuck it, dude. Do that shit up and have some fun with it!

Comment

• groves86
                    • Mar 2011

front end swap

i have an xj i picked up as a cheap first project as well. i have a spare front end off my sporty. i saw a front end conversion kiit made by all balls for an xs 650. would this fit my xj?

Comment

• Henkies
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASONLOGGINS
                      I have a project that is shaft driven, I extended the shaft and moved the shocks to the inside. Attached is a pic. Also you have a good start, I have seen a lot of guys hardtail a shaft drive. Just take your time and do it right the first time.
                      Great to see! I can get a cheap XJ700S, so very inspiring. But do you think the swingarm is strong enough for this?

Comment

• nerdsports
                        • Mar 2010

Here's a pic of my friend's old XJ. He regrets selling it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;