Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OakBehringer
    • May 2011

I don't think that tank liners are inherently a problem. Harley has been lining tanks at the factory for a long time. This does not lead to problems down the road. The problems arise from using outdated products (Kream) and - perhaps most importantly - fucking up the prep work.

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by OakBehringer
      I don't think that tank liners are inherently a problem. Harley has been lining tanks at the factory for a long time. This does not lead to problems down the road. The problems arise from using outdated products (Kream) and - perhaps most importantly - fucking up the prep work.
      just look at the pictures I posted above,.... they were factory sealed tanks,... Fucked by alcohol gas !!…. WELD IT PROPERLY DONT BODGE IT !!!

Comment

• OakBehringer
        • May 2011

Originally posted by tzienlee
        just look at the pictures I posted above,.... they were factory sealed tanks,... Fucked by alcohol gas !!…. WELD IT PROPERLY DONT BODGE IT !!!
        Are you the original owner of that tank? What era is it from?

I'd bet my life something other than simply running standard pump fuel lead to that tank's demise. It just doesn't add up... there's millions of Harley's in the USA not having that problem. Like, every factory sealed Harley is not having that problem. My 2006 has had pump gas in it for - you guessed it - 12 years. Nothing is wrong with it. Just like every other modern Harley.

Comment

• tzienlee
          • Apr 2024

I bought from a friend who had them new on his bike he bought in 2003, 100th anniversary glide,... he bought from new and used alcohol gas and this happened,
          I cut them open, cleaned them out and TIG welded them up after,....he bought new tanks without sealer and used them happily …………….here in England we have different mix's of alcohol & Petrol depending where you go,.. you can find alcohol free petrol but it's not advertised as the green hippies are anti it,....
          Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2018, 2:22 PM.

Comment

• OakBehringer
            • May 2011

I just did some Googling because I don't doubt your assertions, and I find this to be interesting (maybe because I just lined a tank with Caswell epoxy sealer, and haven't filled it with gas yet).

This post:

General Harley Davidson Chat - HD Tank Liner Nightmare - HELP! - I recently noticed rust flakes on my petcock screen and in the bottom of the carb float bowl on my 2000 Dyna Wideglide. Tried flushing the tank by adding Seafoam to several tanks of 93 octane gas, but the flakes just keep on coming, so I bought a...

Describes a similar scenario that you are. And he says that HD tanks stopped getting lined in 04. I just went out to check my '06 sporty to confirm that it's lined... I have too much gas in the tank to easily tell if it's lined.

*shrugs*

I still lean toward this logic: I have been all over MC forums for 15 years. I have never heard of this happening (specifically, factory tank liners in modern bikes dissolving in ethanol). Just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not true - but I suspect I would have heard of it by now. And that other people would be jumping in here to say it happens. Same on the hdforums thread - no one confirms that it's thing that happens. And we all know that the guys on the guys on hdforums are a bunch of ding dongs that love to drink kool-aid and spread rumors and snake oil wisdom. They'd jump at any chance to chime in.

I kinda think there are some special circumstances leading to the issue you had with that tank.

BUT - regardless - it happened!

The question that interests me, that we will never be able to answer, is: how would the same tank have held up without liner?

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Harley used a different tank sealer in 03 than they did in 06..... For some reason the sealer in the 04 and back comes loose more often than not.....

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

without the liner they would have been fine as this happened in aug 2009 and they are still being used by a buddy on his bike and no rot or rust at all.....
                they were only 6 years old when it happened,...
                & like ya say, the next year Harley stopped sealing tanks,... I wonder why ??….
                I have known many who has had this happen to one degree or another on factory and home done sealants,... even had a friends Fiberglass tank ''Melt'' very quickly with alco gas …….

Comment

• Truckedup
                  • Jan 2013

I don't use tank sealer.......However,Caswell Plating gas tank sealer is made from Phenol Novolac Epoxy..This is supposed to be completely resistant to gasoline and or alcohol...I have no experience with it, do a Google search for Caswell plating and those who report about using it..

Comment

• SamHain
                    • Apr 2024

I’ve posted on here plenty about it.... but had caswell fail. I had the tank in halfs prior it was plenty clean and scuffed, then followed directions to the t. Then the shit was peeling off in no time, still haven’t figured out how to remove it. I’d rather have the tank rust out in 20 years than deal with that shit ever again.

Comment

• Truckedup
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by SamHain
                      I’ve posted on here plenty about it.... but had caswell fail. I had the tank in halfs prior it was plenty clean and scuffed, then followed directions to the t. Then the shit was peeling off in no time, still haven’t figured out how to remove it. I’d rather have the tank rust out in 20 years than deal with that shit ever again.
                      This why I don't use sealer....1000 guys will use Caswell, 950 says it the best ever..the other 50 have an issue despite doing it all perfectly...My luck is a fail...lol

Comment

• Blackbetty
                        • Apr 2011

I used por15 in 4 tanks and i've never had an issue. Yall need to read the instructions before you seal your tanks hahah

It only takes one ruined paint job before you realize its cheap insurance

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Blackbetty
                          I used por15 in 4 tanks and i've never had an issue. Yall need to read the instructions before you seal your tanks hahah

I've used it in at least 50 tanks with no problems..... Yes if you do what is says to do you will have no problems what so ever....

Comment

• SamHain
                            • Apr 2024

I’d rather repaint than try to get failed bullshit out of a tank. I can read and Caswell failed me.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

I’d rather repaint than try to get failed bullshit out of a tank. I can read and Caswell failed me.
                              Yep and redcoat is useless.....

Comment

• OakBehringer
                                • May 2011

Getting caswell out is easy. Use Paint Stripper that contains Methylene Chloride. I've done it myself, it works (welded on a sealed tank, destroyed the sealer). Then I applied more caswell, because that stuff is the shit.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;